Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happened to the cpo inventory?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@HankLloydRight
Honestly, I didn't look at the hidden cars from Atlanta. The reason I didn't look is because, at least for the moment, it doesn't matter. I used some of my available funds to pay off the lien on my Volt because I will need to sell it and the trade-in sites are not offering fair value (offering ~60% of KBB trade-in value), and I need those funds to cover taxes and other costs. I can't buy anything until I sell the Volt and free those funds back up, and right now I'm in limbo waiting for the lien company to send me a lien release. Finding a match right now would just make my ears smoke more than they already are, because they would likely be gone by the time I get the Volt squared away (yes, I also shut down my own search engine for the time being to help prevent my head from potentially exploding).

But I do appreciate you mentioning them.

@HankLloydRight
Honestly, I didn't look at the hidden cars from Atlanta. The reason I didn't look is because, at least for the moment, it doesn't matter. I used some of my available funds to pay off the lien on my Volt because I will need to sell it and the trade-in sites are not offering fair value (offering ~60% of KBB trade-in value), and I need those funds to cover taxes and other costs. I can't buy anything until I sell the Volt and free those funds back up, and right now I'm in limbo waiting for the lien company to send me a lien release. Finding a match right now would just make my ears smoke more than they already are, because they would likely be gone by the time I get the Volt squared away (yes, I also shut down my own search engine for the time being to help prevent my head from potentially exploding).

But I do appreciate you mentioning them.

Hi Skotty,
Since you're not ready to buy, I think you should try to relax. The situation could change on Monday as new cars may be added. See what is available when you're ready. I didn't think I was going to find a CPO last month but I kept watching just in case. I checked at 9am and nothing was available in my target. I checked again at 11am and two cars appeared in my range. One was gone in one hour and I bought the other one the same day it appeared. So, just relax and check things out when you're ready to click the buy button. :)

Hi Skotty,
Since you're not ready to buy, I think you should try to relax. The situation could change on Monday as new cars may be added. See what is available when you're ready. I didn't think I was going to find a CPO last month but I kept watching just in case. I checked at 9am and nothing was available in my target. I checked again at 11am and two cars appeared in my range. One was gone in one hour and I bought the other one the same day it appeared. So, just relax and check things out when you're ready to click the buy button. :)
This is excellent advice. It also helps if you can be somewhat flexible in your timeline. My plan was to buy in April or May, but I found a car in October that was too good to pass up, took some creativity in my finances to make it happen that much ahead of schedule, but it was definitely worth it. If you can put yourself in a situation where you don't need the car "now" and can wait for the right one to appear, you'll be in a much better situation overall. I also recommend looking nationally instead of just locally, sure Tesla often charges way too much to transport, but it's still a fairly small number in relation to the overall purchase price, and who knows, it might be a good excuse for a road trip instead. (And if you're frustrated that you now only have 100 to chose from, imagine what we feel like in Canada with only 5 cars available!)

Hi Skotty,

True, I am kind of extra sensitive about it right now. After years of planning, I thought I was finally ready, but then I hit the Volt snag and that put me in a delay, and while that delay was happening, poof!, all the inventory disappears. I'm trying not to get upset about it, but it just hit all the right buttons to be upsetting.

True, I am kind of extra sensitive about it right now. After years of planning, I thought I was finally ready, but then I hit the Volt snag and that put me in a delay, and while that delay was happening, poof!, all the inventory disappears. I'm trying not to get upset about it, but it just hit all the right buttons to be upsetting.

Totally understandable. It's a big purchase with quite a bit of planning and you get emotionally invested. :)

I test drove a Model S for the first time about two years ago. I knew then that I wanted it to be my next car. However, I struggled with spending that much money on a car. The most I spent prior to the Tesla was $22,400 on a car. I've spent much of the last 10 years cleaning up debt and becoming more financially sound. In April of last year, I sold a rental property. At that point, I had enough cash to buy a CPO Tesla without a loan. However, I spent the next eight months trying to find a way to invest that money. The stock market did not look safe to me. Real estate is high, in my opinion, and so the money just sat while I kept thinking about things. Every few weeks I would check car-gurus.com, cars.com, autotrader.com and then the Tesla pre-owned site once it became available. I even contacted a few for sale privately over this time.

Finally, over Christmas, I was visiting family and found myself looking at the CPO site almost every day and thinking about it. I found a Model S for sale by owner, contacted him, and negotiated the price down into my range. And then I sat on it for a week. I woke up on a Monday and decided to do it. I contacted the owner only to find out it was gone. I went home and prayed about it. Perhaps the time wasn't right or perhaps this wasn't the right car for me. It had been red with tan leather, P85, had the sunroof and tech package, but not the upgraded sound. Ideally, I would have liked to find black on black, sunroof, upgraded sound, tech package, in a P85+. So, I prayed that when the time was right, the right car would be available for the right price and it would be at least as good as that one or better.

The next day I checked Tesla's pre-owned at 9am. Nothing in range. I checked again at 11am and found two P85+ in my range. One was gray, the other was black. :) The gray one sold in an hour. I hesitated from 11am to 5pm, all the time expecting the black one to be gone. Finally, at 5pm, hands shaking, I clicked the buy button on my car. :) The car? P85+, black on black, sunroof, tech package, upgraded sound, and well in my price range. Everything I asked for! :)

So, long story, and I shared some of my faith, but I hope it helps you with the wait. :)

Troy,
I would assume that the number for "delivered cars" would only include brand new ones and inventory CPOs. CPOs which were officially sold and registered before should not be counted. Would you agree?

Yes of course I agree. Used cars can't be included in delivery numbers. What I meant was, it appears Tesla sold most loaner and showroom cars in Q4 to meet the delivery numbers. Then they pulled CPO cars to use as loaners. This is a temporary solution. In a few weeks they will have enough new loaners and the CPO's will return to the CPO website.

Last edited:
Hi Skotty,
Since you're not ready to buy, I think you should try to relax.

Just adding on to this for Skotty. Since you have to wait for other things to clear anyway, you have no choice but to wait. My mom taught me a valuable lesson -- since you can't change the past, it makes no sense expending any emotional energy trying to change it, or be upset by it.

And I have learned that throughout life, things like this most likely end up way better in the end anyway.

New member but been lurking for a while before getting a TSLA car. Great forum with information for prospective buyers. EV-CPO is amazing. There's like 20-30 cars on teslamotors.com right now. Both CPO and inventory, yet EV-CPO is showing 99 plus roughly 10-20 or so "hidden" for the US.

I heard as well that there was a policy change to fill the service fleet and stop putting customers who are in for service in competing cars let alone in ICEs. The goal is also to accelerate deliveries before Q1 and build back up the CPOinventory with trade ins.

I heard as well that there was a policy change to fill the service fleet and stop putting customers who are in for service in competing cars let alone in ICEs. The goal is also to accelerate deliveries before Q1 and build back up the CPOinventory with trade ins.

I believe that. We have heard plenty of customers in for service either being denied a loaner because there were none or being put in rental cars. I believe they'd take older CPOs and send them to SCs to be used as loaners.

At the end this will work out better for everyone:

+ Customers will find it more likely they will receive a Tesla loaner for service visits.
+ Those looking for a CPO car will end up with a better CPO that is more recent with better build quality.
+ Tesla likely is or will soon be receiving hundreds of Model S vehicles as trade-ins each month so the CPO inventory will go back up.
+ Nothing has changed with the market and what people are willing to pay so prices and inventory will end up where it was before long.

Also, even though I need a bigger battery than the minimum, it kind of irks me that right now, the cheapest used car costs more than the cheapest new car did in 2012.

I know the current used cars are much better equipped and have bigger batteries, but when you are talking middle class that has to stretch to buy such a car, buy in price trumps all. It doesn't matter how nicely appointed a car is if it's too expensive to buy. Right now, the CPO cars were just entering middle class land where middle class folks could really start considering it, and now it looks like the bar was just raised up again to make sure these cars are not available to the middle class.

are you in that much of a hurry that you can't wait a couple of months for prices to drop?

Think of all the S70D that haven't hit the CPO list yet but will late 2016.

Think of all the S85D that haven't hit the CPO list yet but will late 2016.

Think of how cheap the S60 and S85 will be when the cheaper D cars hit the CPO market.

Right now you see P85D because those people got theirs first and some of them upgraded to a P90D or a Model X, but those P85Ds aren't pushing down prices because they are more expensive than the P85, S85, S60 that came before them.

It'll take time for the lower priced Ds to work their way into the CPO market and for the non Ds to drop in price in reaction to new developments.

Last edited:
Many, many other people have posted the exact opposite experience. Too many to count. That's why I posted this SUGGESTION for people who are seriously looking for a CPO.

Indeed. Having never driven a P85, I stopped by the local dealer today and went on a test drive. They were able to pull up a 2013 P85 in California with 36k miles for $56,400. For anyone interested call your local dealer and ask for P10836. I'm going to pass on it, hoping for something with a better price/color.

Indeed. Having never driven a P85, I stopped by the local dealer today and went on a test drive. They were able to pull up a 2013 P85 in California with 36k miles for $56,400. For anyone interested call your local dealer and ask for P10836. I'm going to pass on it, hoping for something with a better price/color.

Just to add a little more information, this VIN was added to the Tesla CPO page on about 1/5, and then removed on 2/8.

Here's the cached page: EV CPO Consolidator ev-cpo.com