Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happened to the FSD option????

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VT_EE

Apr 22, 2017
Earth
The Tesla Model 3 configurator no longer has an option for FSD. What gives?
nofsd.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: lunitiks
They probably realized that all proposed FSD "features" were too dangerous and that true FSD is many years away.

So what is FSD really in the end?

Incremental EAP...

I don't understand why people think FSD has to be binary for $3,000. It either takes you coast to coast while sleeping or nothing?

How much is THAT actually worth? 1 or 2 more zeros.

So what is FSD really in the end?

Incremental EAP...

I don't understand why people think FSD has to be binary for $3,000. It either takes you coast to coast while sleeping or nothing?

How much is THAT actually worth? 1 or 2 more zeros.

Tesla has been very explicit in their marketing of FSD. Coast to coast is what they have been selling. It might be worth $30,000 but Tesla already sold it to tens of thousands of customers at a price tag of $3,000. If Tesla cannot deliver something soon its a big problem.

Tesla has been very explicit in their marketing of FSD. Coast to coast is what they have been selling. It might be worth $30,000 but Tesla already sold it to tens of thousands of customers at a price tag of $3,000. If Tesla cannot deliver something soon its a big problem.
They haven't even driven coast to coast yet in a test car and that's the easy part! It only has to go 3000 miles, possibly with multiple attempts, on mostly interstate. Now imagine how much harder it is to drive in Seattle traffic with crap roads, rain, ice storms, cars, pedestrians, scooters, and bicyclists for a million miles. It's great that Elon Musk is an optimist but they're going to need a huge breakthrough to make it happen.

My theory on the business case. Just like the expensive roadster led to the less expensive S that eventually led to the less expensive 3 (refuse to use the word cheap), the EAP will get cheaper over time as the FSD gets more realistic. There is no cost, or at least minimal, to Tesla for the EAP so all of that money could be bankrolling the FSD research. I would bet that the masses are not willing to pay $5K (~14% of the cheapest expected car price) for this option. Plus as FSD gets to be more of a reality they will charge more for something that actually works. That's when the EAP will switch in price with the FSD and the EAP will be a couple thousand where as the FSD will become much more expensive. They would have to charge more for the FSD because people could loan out there car and make some real money so it would be worth much more. All that to say i am hoping to snag up EAP in a couple years for a grand or two.

I think it's just a headache at this point.
Things aren't moving as fast as he predicted.
People who have bought it are complaining that it's wasted money.
I expect most buyers are now skipping it.
Tesla doesn't really know whether it can achieve it and how much retrofitting would cost in the end.
Not offering it allows them to optimize production for now without consideration for retrofitting.

Reactions: neroden
Status
Not open for further replies.