Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happens to the Enhanced Autopilot functionality if my car is written-off?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I purchase EAP after I received the car (ie not selecting it on the order page but order it separately once I got the car), and my car becomes a write-off, does it get transferred to the replacement car if it happens to also be a Tesla? If not, Is it possible to add it to my insurance certificate (as an aftermarket modification maybe) to increase the car's insured value?

does it get transferred to the replacement car if it happens to also be a Tesla?

I have no idea on adding it to your insurance certificate, but I can tell you that tesla does not transfer software options (EAP, FSD etc) to a new vehicle, period, full stop.

People have been asking / begging / pleading / arguing / yelling / screaming about wanting this for multiples of years, and its currently not a thing and I wouldnt expect it to be one in the future (although with tesla you never know what they may or may not change).

If I purchase EAP after I received the car (ie not selecting it on the order page but order it separately once I got the car), and my car becomes a write-off, does it get transferred to the replacement car if it happens to also be a Tesla? If not, Is it possible to add it to my insurance certificate (as an aftermarket modification maybe) to increase the car's insured value?
In another life, pre 2000, I worked for a large insurance company and we had the ability to add accessory codes and values to an insured vehicle so that the agreed value calculation would take these into account on renewal. However we had a steep devaluation curve on accessories as they had a quickly diminishing effect on the value of a vehicle second hand.
I think it will be difficult to get an insurance company to add the full new value of EAP or FSD to the market value of your car each year at renewal but the take home message is get a replacement policy at first and include the value of EAP/FSD in the agreed value and later when the replacement terms expire, negotiate the best agreed value you can on renewal.
These types of policies tend to be amongst the most expensive but most match your need.

I have no idea on adding it to your insurance certificate, but I can tell you that tesla does not transfer software options (EAP, FSD etc) to a new vehicle, period, full stop.

People have been asking / begging / pleading / arguing / yelling / screaming about wanting this for multiples of years, and its currently not a thing and I wouldnt expect it to be one in the future (although with tesla you never know what they may or may not change).
The math doesn't add up for me. Tesla would have to let you carry forward the FSD or its not worth 15k.

If I intend to keep the car for 4 years, and the subscription for FSD, mind you that I keep it active month on month, the total cost to me is 9600, but if I buy FSD its 15,000? And I lose it. That means as long as I intend to rotate out of the car in 3-5 years, or I don't care or believe FSD will work at that time in my current hardware, I am far better off on subscription plan. Of course this assumes that I am not going to see subscription rate increased in a way that causes me to spend more than 15k.

The math doesn't add up for me. Tesla would have to let you carry forward the FSD or its not worth 15k.

If I intend to keep the car for 4 years, and the subscription for FSD, mind you that I keep it active month on month, the total cost to me is 9600, but if I buy FSD its 15,000? And I lose it. That means as long as I intend to rotate out of the car in 3-5 years, or I don't care or believe FSD will work at that time in my current hardware, I am far better off on subscription plan. Of course this assumes that I am not going to see subscription rate increased in a way that causes me to spend more than 15k.
You are correct that it is not worth $15k. But people still willingly hand over that money even if they only keep the car for a year or two. Some have paid it several times over because they believe they are donating to/supporting the cause/mission of Tesla/Elon. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: TacoGuy

However the 15k you pay permanently increases the value of your car because the next owner instantly saves $200 per month.

Also subscription is not available in Australia.

Reactions: cafz
However the 15k you pay permanently increases the value of your car because the next owner instantly saves $200 per month.

Also subscription is not available in Australia.
I mean yes, you’ll get some money for it on the used market but you will only get a fraction of that back, not the full $15k. That’s assuming the next buyer even cares about or wants FSD.

I mean yes, you’ll get some money for it on the used market but you will only get a fraction of that back, not the full $15k. That’s assuming the next buyer even cares about or wants FSD.
I don’t think at trade in any dealer is going to care about FSD or EAP. Any private buyer who knows how to negotiate will be firm that they don’t see any value in it.

The bigger risk to me is that FSD never becomes fully functional and you’ve paid full value for it now, with the clock ticking on the part of the car, the wear item - the car itself. So you are currently only realizing partial value on 15k, whereas if and only if FSD is available before the car is sold in the subscription case, you get full use of FSD during the subscription period for a fraction of the 15k (I’m not speaking to those who have a subscription and also have the beta).

My 2 cents anyway.

There is no sales evidence in Australia that FSD or EAP on a model S attract a premium in the private sale market. At best either may generate a faster sale

I wonder how many uneducated buyers buy a Tesla because it's 2 or 3k cheaper and then end up dishing out the cash for EAP once they learn a bit more about them?

There is value in the options. As a seller you can educate them, explain it in the listing, or when they say "there's no value in that for me", tell them to "eff off then, find a car without the option and stop wasting my time". Quite simple.

Reactions: moa999
There is value in the options. As a seller you can educate them, explain it in the listing, or when they say "there's no value in that for me", tell them to "eff off then, find a car without the option and stop wasting my time". Quite simple.
Or you can be an adult and politely disagree. Some buyers will value options, some won't. No need to get offended.

Or you can be an adult and politely disagree. Some buyers will value options, some won't. No need to get offended.
Politeness once, but when explained and if they argue..not paying for that .. don't want it!

If you want to buy a Falcon but it comes with an added supercharger and super humper thumper mods, big wheels, racing brakes .. do you go "I don't want all that. I just want to pay for a bog standard Falcon."? What do you think would be the response of the seller there?

Exactly the same scenario.

Politeness once, but when explained and if they argue..not paying for that .. don't want it!

If you want to buy a Falcon but it comes with an added supercharger and super humper thumper mods, big wheels, racing brakes .. do you go "I don't want all that. I just want to pay for a bog standard Falcon."? What do you think would be the response of the seller there?

Exactly the same scenario.
Okay...

Hardware vs software
Racing mods vs advanced cruise control
Obviously upgraded vs Nonobviously upgraded

But yeah, they're the "same" situation 🤣🤣🤣
Someone overpaid for FSD

Okay...

Hardware vs software
Racing mods vs advanced cruise control
Obviously upgraded vs Nonobviously upgraded

But yeah, they're the "same" situation 🤣🤣🤣
Someone overpaid for FSD
Moderators Note:
This is a thread about how EAP is handled should a Tesla be written off.
It's not a thread about the merits or financial value of EAP or FSD.
Please stick to the topic.