Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happens when steering on AP comes out of Beta?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If we get nagged to keep our hands on the wheel then it isn't FSD.

It's possible driver attentiveness will be enforced by other methods for the L2 system, but if by FSD you are talking about Tesla's product with that name, driver attentiveness will be required, and it doesn't mean it isn't FSD (Tesla's product). See below; there is nothing here that says the "Full Self Driving Capability" product will necessarily remove the nags; there is no requirement for that. I think it's important for people to realize this when making their purchasing decision.

Requiring driver supervision does not necessarily mean that it won't be a useful product, have some pretty amazing capabilities, be cool, etc. Just good to have full recognition of what you are purchasing. The correct decision will depend on the person. Is it possible that at some point it will get to L3/L4/L5? Sure. But it isn't required for it to be FSD, as is clear from below.

Here's a link to driving levels, just so everyone is on the same page: SAE J3016 automated-driving graphic

Screen Shot 2019-08-07 at 10.03.43 AM.png

I think it is worth mentioning that your steering setting probably affects how easy it is to exert the necessary torque to dismiss nags. If you set your steering to sport, the steering will be a bit more stiff so you may have to exert a bit stronger torque. I have my steering set to "standard" and the slightest torque is enough to dismiss the nag. I can keep a finger at the bottom of the wheel, at the 6 o'clock position, and just offer a little resistance and it is enough.

I tested this out over the weekend and can confirm that with the steering set to "Comfort" mode, only a slight torque is required. Sport Mode is my preference for driving but requires significantly more torque to silence the nag.