Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the difference between Summon and Smart Summon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've read everything I could find about the two, but still can't understand what the differences are. I hope someone can explain in terms that I can get through my reluctant skull.

Thanks in advance.

Plain summon started from the old 2014 AP1 generation and up that uses ultrasound to navigate your car back and forth which is useful to park and retrieve your car from a very tight spot.

The youtube below is plain summon in 2/2018 when smart summon was not released just yet:

Smart summon is also the above plain summon but it can also turn your car into a dog that follows you around. So if you are away and miss your dog, you now can jog away from your car in a parking lot and your car would chase after you just like a dog would.

You can also remote retrieve your car from its parking spot soaking wet in the rain to pick you up in the nice and dry place under the porch of a hotel. Well, at least that's what it's supposed to do:

Reverse summon which is not released yet: You'll drive your car to the nice and dry porch, get out, click the smart summon button and your car would run around in the rain looking for a parking spot and park there.

Last edited:
Pretty solid summary as above- though worth noting the range of smart summon is still pretty crap (I think like 200 feet) and it doesn't much care about/respect painted lines/parking spots. Works ok within those limits... (and I actually used it this weekend from inside an airbnb house to move it from one side of the houses parking to the other so someone else could get out, by looking out the windows while moving it via the app, since it was raining- and that was pretty fun)

Pretty solid summary as above- though worth noting the range of smart summon is still pretty crap (I think like 200 feet) and it doesn't much care about/respect painted lines/parking spots. Works ok within those limits... (and I actually used it this weekend from inside an airbnb house to move it from one side of the houses parking to the other so someone else could get out, by looking out the windows while moving it via the app, since it was raining- and that was pretty fun)

The range on my smart summon seems to be infinite when following me around. I used to get errors like "maximum distanced reached" and stuff like that. Not anymore.

I walked at least 10 miles last week with my car following me around. ....I know....I know....

Please don't ask any more questions. LOL

• Funny
Reactions: captanzuelo
The range on my smart summon seems to be infinite when following me around. I used to get errors like "maximum distanced reached" and stuff like that. Not anymore.

I walked at least 10 miles last week with my car following me around. ....I know....I know....

Please don't ask any more questions. LOL

You seem to not be clear on what the word range means.

You seem to not be clear on what the word range means.

Ok...no problem.

enlighten me.

Range - distance the car can travel during summon?
Range - distance the car can see to get to your phone during summon?
Range - place where you practice shooting targets?
Range - device for cooking hotdogs?
Range - person who kicks me out of the forest preserve....no wait....thats a Ranger?

Last edited:
Plain summon started from the old 2014 AP1 generation and up that uses ultrasound to navigate your car back and forth which is useful to park and retrieve your car from a very tight spot.

The youtube below is plain summon in 2/2018 when smart summon was not released just yet:

Smart summon is also the above plain summon but it can also turn your car into a dog that follows you around. So if you are away and miss your dog, you now can jog away from your car in a parking lot and your car would chase after you just like a dog would.

You can also remote retrieve your car from its parking spot soaking wet in the rain to pick you up in the nice and dry place under the porch of a hotel. Well, at least that's what it's supposed to do:

Reverse summon which is not released yet: You'll drive your car to the nice and dry porch, get out, click the smart summon button and your car would run around in the rain looking for a parking spot and park there.
Thanks.

Thanks.

Yeah the most notable difference is stress level. Regular summon is pretty stress-free for me, as long as I don't stand so close to the front of the car that it gets into trouble trying to avoid me. If you really want to get your heart rate up, try smart summon from far away in a non-empty parking lot!

You can also use smart summon while sitting in the driver's seat, which is kinda fun, and a much less scary way to get to know how it behaves.