Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What kind of options/upgrades are you considering and why?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Didn't watch the video either -- it lost all credibility with me the moment I saw a screencap claiming dual motors would be $5K even though Elon has previously stated that it would be less. Seems like they didn't do their homework.

Anyway:

Bare minimum

• Dual motors
  • Battery in the neighborhood of 70-75 kWh (whether it's the biggest or mid-level)
  • Sub-zero
  • Non-white/black paint
Want (and will likely get)
  • Glass roof
  • Leather seats
May want (depending on pricing)
  • EAP

• Informative
Reactions: internalaudit
In the video he does talk about how the options should be priced lower than currently on the S

He goes with options costing 75% of current S pricing and comes out with a max price of $75,000

I personally, think this is pretty accurate

I have added a screenshot of the video showing what they are breaking down the options pricing to

Attachments

• Captures.JPG
    Captures.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 132
  • Helpful
In order of importance:

Definite:
1. Dual Motors - 70 mile commute over mountain pass
2. Towing - though probably not if air suspension required

Possible:
3. Glass Roof - assuming greater headroom
4. Subzero - wife would love it and I've been babied by Leaf's heated steering wheel
5. Premium interior - would love to not breath in all the darn pickup trucks around here anymore

Likely only for later activation unless I somehow get rich:
6. Enhanced AP
7. Self-driving - doing work in the car on 1.5 hour commute = insanely awesome

Contingency Alternative #2: If it looks like a battery upgrade is necessary to get the $7.5k tax credit, I'll probably go for that instead of anything else, as I'd rather apply $3750 to more battery capacity than lose that money entirely.

After driving a leaf, I really feel that bigger batteries than ~200+ miles are not necessary, though it would obviously be awesome so there is never fear between superchargers in the winter (i.e., blast that heat/ac, go as fast as you want, have some fun accelerating). If the base model has a SW limited battery (doubtful given the need for profitability), I may upgrade it eventually.

Can't wait for reveal #2!

• Informative
I think I'll only be able to afford the base model with no options (assuming that the UK sales price will be around £30k or higher).

However, if circumstances change then I will be considering the following options, listed in order of preference:

1. Larger battery size
2. EAP
3. AWD
4. Blue Metallic Paint
5. Carbon Fiber decor
6. White seats (white seats with blue paint on the Model X look gorgeous)

Also interested but will have to get post-delivery:

7. Full Self-Driving

My current ICE car has a heated steering wheel, which is lovely, and it has fog lights which do help in some situations... but I can live without them considering the Model 3 will have better climate control as standard.

I'd love some of the other little things like auto-opening doors and the power liftgate but they are much further down my priority list than battery, EAP and AWD.

• Informative
Budget is 45k.

Need: Dual Motor, Sub-zero, Leather Seats, Red paint
Want: EAP, Premium Upgrades (fancy headlights, interior lights, other gadgets and gizmos)

Have thought really hard about the bigger battery but for our 30 mile daily commuting and occasional 100+ mile road trip, I don't think it is worth the extra money.

45k including tax or are you expecting to pay tax and doc fees on top of that? Because if that's including tax and fees, your needs will probably be tight and forget the wants.

I have 2 M3 reservations, one for my wife and the other for me? Daughter?. I went through much of what you are going through on my P85. I will say a few things to think about. I have never regreted the P85 versus S85 decision and I am positive I would regret having chosen the S85. I didn't need a large battery and the S60 would have met my daily needs but I now take long road trips for the fun of it. I volunteer to drive for groceries and don't come back for 2-3 hours. I have made many 1000+ mile trips which I would not have considered before. I chose the 19" rims because the 21s were getting horrible tire mileage (7000). One thing I have noted is the RWD is the best snow traction I have seen in a nonAWD car. The battery weight distribution gives you both steering on the front and traction on the back. However this has only been in 3-4 inches and some ice. I'd look at D if greater cold weather needs. I have never bought a car like the MS even though I could stretch and afford it. I drove used lease turn-ins like my 2007 Nissan Altima. Even though my P85 is way out of date it is a joy to drive every day (i just got back from a 2000+ trip to Miami) and I am confident you and I will be overjoyed with the 3.

I have 2 M3 reservations, one for my wife and the other for me? Daughter?. I went through much of what you are going through on my P85. I will say a few things to think about. I have never regreted the P85 versus S85 decision and I am positive I would regret having chosen the S85. I didn't need a large battery and the S60 would have met my daily needs but I now take long road trips for the fun of it. I volunteer to drive for groceries and don't come back for 2-3 hours. I have made many 1000+ mile trips which I would not have considered before. I chose the 19" rims because the 21s were getting horrible tire mileage (7000). One thing I have noted is the RWD is the best snow traction I have seen in a nonAWD car. The battery weight distribution gives you both steering on the front and traction on the back. However this has only been in 3-4 inches and some ice. I'd look at D if greater cold weather needs. I have never bought a car like the MS even though I could stretch and afford it. I drove used lease turn-ins like my 2007 Nissan Altima. Even though my P85 is way out of date it is a joy to drive every day (i just got back from a 2000+ trip to Miami) and I am confident you and I will be overjoyed with the 3.

The main appeal of the AWD to me is less chance of wheel spin when accelerating off the mark, and more equal tire wear all around. The tire wear isn't that important I guess, but on my daily commute I do need that sudden acceleration because I drive down country lanes with blind corners. When I pull out I need to hit the accelerator right away to get up to speed and stop anyone going into the back of me. Again, a minor thing really but one of the things I love about Teslas is how quiet they are and any wheel spin is a negative for me!

Your post is very informative though - I'll probably move AWD further down my priority list and only get it if the price difference is negligible.

• Informative
I definitely need dual-motor and cold weather, living in the northeast. I've been thinking about range, and don't see the need for a larger battery -- if the family is going far enough to need it, we also need the cargo room of our Subaru, and I don't go that far on my own. Doubling the best-case range of my Leaf should be enough to get to the future vacation home in NH that my wife wants.
I actually dislike most leather seats, so getting a premium interior that included them would depend on everything else about it justifying the cost. Premium cloth, though, I might spring for.
EAP because I'm mainly commuting, which is tedious, but I'll wait on full-auto. Glass roof is a big want, but probably not sunroof - I rarely opened the ones I've had over the years.
Paint color other than black/white/grey, probably blue or green, maybe red. Tech package because I'm a tech geek, but not premium audio.

• Helpful
I definitely need dual-motor and cold weather, living in the northeast. I've been thinking about range, and don't see the need for a larger battery
Do consider that cold weather significantly reduces your range. You won't get 2x summer Leaf range with the M3 base battery in cold weather. Were I in the market for a Model 3 (doing fine with my Roadster), 4wd and a bigger battery would be near the top of my options list, to maximize utility and longevity. The Roadster already maximizes fun :).

• Informative
Do consider that cold weather significantly reduces your range. You won't get 2x summer Leaf range with the M3 base battery in cold weather. Were I in the market for a Model 3 (doing fine with my Roadster), 4wd and a bigger battery would be near the top of my options list, to maximize utility and longevity. The Roadster already maximizes fun :).
If he is getting by on a Leaf, they'll have no problem on a base range 3, but I generally still think that a larger battery is a must in such cold places. Even if it's not just for your use, but the future resale options in your area may be greater with a larger battery and it can provide more convenience/flexibility to you. There's enough range anxiety for most already - taking a potential 50% hit in extreme weather would only worsen it.

To me, the battery size is like computer memory that you can't replace later on - you know needs will likely go up over time and so it's going to have been easier to have more to start with. In a car, where we can keep cars for 1-2 decades, and batteries degrade, I think it will be even more noticeable. I may not need the full range right away, but the flexibility to drive at a faster speed on the highway, charge to 80% very rapidly, and just have a buffer to protect against eventual capacity loss is worth it for me to get an upgrade. (This is at least in physical terms... if it's software locked like the S60/75, then the upgrade isn't necessary since you get most of the benefits anyway)

If he is getting by on a Leaf, they'll have no problem on a base range 3, but I generally still think that a larger battery is a must in such cold places. Even if it's not just for your use, but the future resale options in your area may be greater with a larger battery and it can provide more convenience/flexibility to you. There's enough range anxiety for most already - taking a potential 50% hit in extreme weather would only worsen it.

To me, the battery size is like computer memory that you can't replace later on - you know needs will likely go up over time and so it's going to have been easier to have more to start with. In a car, where we can keep cars for 1-2 decades, and batteries degrade, I think it will be even more noticeable. I may not need the full range right away, but the flexibility to drive at a faster speed on the highway, charge to 80% very rapidly, and just have a buffer to protect against eventual capacity loss is worth it for me to get an upgrade. (This is at least in physical terms... if it's software locked like the S60/75, then the upgrade isn't necessary since you get most of the benefits anyway)
Such an incorrect statement unless you are talking about apple products. You can increase the memory (both RAM and Disk space) in most computers. Fast charging makes bigger battery size unnecessary, I hope people get out of the ICE range mentality.

Those are definitely the considerations I'm looking at. My leaf still gets up to 100 in the New England summer (two years in), and drops to 65-70 in the winter. I figure if the M3 starts at 215, and drops to 140 in the winter, that will get me to a destination in NH, and there's a supercharger on the way if I need it. But issues of up-front vs. resale vs. future battery upgrades vs. how long I keep it are all in play. I do plan to keep the 3 long-term, so life of battery is more important than resale value.

Fast charging makes bigger battery size unnecessary
Yes, but to emphasize what Booga said, look at it the other way around -- bigger battery makes fast charging more useful.
I hadn't thought about that before, and it may be what tips me towards the bigger battery.

Those are definitely the considerations I'm looking at. My leaf still gets up to 100 in the New England summer (two years in), and drops to 65-70 in the winter. I figure if the M3 starts at 215, and drops to 140 in the winter, that will get me to a destination in NH, and there's a supercharger on the way if I need it. But issues of up-front vs. resale vs. future battery upgrades vs. how long I keep it are all in play. I do plan to keep the 3 long-term, so life of battery is more important than resale value.

Yes, but to emphasize what Booga said, look at it the other way around -- bigger battery makes fast charging more useful.
I hadn't thought about that before, and it may be what tips me towards the bigger battery.
When you buy an ICE you don't look at the tank capacity because they are so many gas stations and filling them is pretty fast. So if we can get 200 miles of range in say 10-15 mins (which will eventually happen in few years) it'll make bigger batteries unnecessary.

Reactions: Lem89
Such an incorrect statement unless you are talking about apple products. You can increase the memory (both RAM and Disk space) in most computers. Fast charging makes bigger battery size unnecessary, I hope people get out of the ICE range mentality.

I also think it's possible that you'll be able to go back to Tesla in a decade and get a newer battery pack installed.

I don't understand Tesla's battery pricing.

Model S:
60(D) to 75(D) upgrade is $6,500
75D to 90D is $10,000
90D to 100D is $3,000

At $3,000/10kWh, I'll probably opt for a larger battery. But at $10,000/15kWh, Tesla can shove it.

in a current-generation pack, 60=>75 is a software upgrade, as the physical pack is a 75.

75 to 90 is an actual, physical pack upgrade.

And we don't actually know this yet....but I'm gonna take a flyer here and say the new 90's are really software-limited 100's...or will be as soon as they start coming off the line in the upcoming months.

When you buy an ICE you don't look at the tank capacity because they are so many gas stations and filling them is pretty fast. So if we can get 200 miles of range in say 10-15 mins (which will eventually happen in few years) it'll make bigger batteries unnecessary.
I take it you've not owned a car with a small tank and poor mileage? Tank size is absolutely something people look at. It probably won't tip a purchasing decision for most, but it's not irrelevant.
More on point, we're talking about options on Model 3, not what we'll buy in ten years. Yes, someday fast charging will be that fast, but for the immediate future, a larger battery will allow you to get more range in the fast part of the charge slope, with means less-frequenct charging, which is a big deal when that still takes half an hour. In addition to an as-yet unbuilt infrastructure, significantly faster charging will also need improved heat management on the car side, so it's not going to be in the first edition of model 3.

In addition to an as-yet unbuilt infrastructure, significantly faster charging will also need improved heat management on the car side, so it's not going to be in the first edition of model 3.

How do we know that? Has Reveal 3 taken place yet to introduce us to the new generation of packs that are going to be produced at the Gigafactory?

I'm not saying that what we get on our First Gen Model 3 will be as advanced as what will be coming out 10 years from now.....but they're going to be more advanced than current-gen S and X packs.