Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What motor does your 2023 Model Y have?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not to throw any salt in the wounds, but I reached out to Ingenext when I found out I had one of the first 4D1 motors - to see if they know if the motor was compatible and how it would perform with their ghost module. They were shocked I had it in my Model Y LR and offered me a 25% discount on the ghost module if I would also let them use a provided CAN logging device to learn more. I'm honestly not a speedster and am happy with standard LR specs, so I passed. But if anyone else has a 4D1 and is interested in the Ghost module, you may want to reach out to their customer service. You will probably need to show a photo of your motor's placard.

FYI, they really haven't been marketing the ghost module on the MYLR, since most are expected to have the 3D5/990 motor. This new development could really open some doors for them. Just know it voids the Tesla warranty and it's possible Tesla could eventually implement a software update that kills it.
I take it that the Ingenext "ghost upgrade" module doesn't work with the 4D1 hairpin motor yet. Hopefully someone experiments this with Ingenext. Its not something I would be interested now but perhaps if my warranty is up in 7-10 years I may give it a shot.

I take it that the Ingenext "ghost upgrade" module doesn't work with the 4D1 hairpin motor yet. Hopefully someone experiments this with Ingenext. Its not something I would be interested now but perhaps if my warranty is up in 7-10 years I may give it a shot.

Ingenext actually did confirm via email that the ghost upgrade works with the 4D1. I would still like to see a 4d1 dragy time ghost mod vs stock vs AB.

Here is their email reply. "It's now confirmed that the ghost works with the 4D1 and it appear to be quite torquey and fast from the first user who installed it!"

1. Model and Trim MYLR7
2. VIN 7SAYGAEE1PF711***
3. Vehicle Build Date 03/23
4. Factory Freemont
5. Rear Motor 3D1

Attachments

• 2023-03-29_19-27-44_180 (2).jpg
    2023-03-29_19-27-44_180 (2).jpg
    589.2 KB · Views: 390
  • Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
My Model Y is an early March 23 edition from GigaTexas, complete with the 4D1 rear motor. 19-inch wheels - ;-)

The 4D1 motor in stock form feels more torquey to me and holds the curve at a higher RPM than my M3 with a 980 motor. This is per the butt dyno.

I just completed the data logging with Ingenext. They dynamically created the Ghost flash based on the data and we installed it on my MYLR. They noted in the data logging that the motor had the capacity for more power output than the 980 and they turned it ON. The test drive felt fantastic. Very strong. I don't have a dragy, but will have to find time with someone who does to do some testing.

I can 100% recommend it. This is my third "chip" from Ingenext since 2018 and they have top-notch service and support. If you were on the fence. Get off of it.

I will be traveling for a few weeks but will do my best to answer questions!

Best,

-Jim

Ingenext actually did confirm via email that the ghost upgrade works with the 4D1. I would still like to see a 4d1 dragy time ghost mod vs stock vs AB.

Here is their email reply. "It's now confirmed that the ghost works with the 4D1 and it appear to be quite torquey and fast from the first user who installed it!"
Good to know that the ghost upgrade works with the 4D1 motor now.

Here is some Performance comparison between the Long Range, Acceleration Boost and Performance all done with the European Model Y, which always had Hairpin rear motors and the weaker LG battery packs. You can add up to 30kW for the US Model Y with Panasonic battery pack.

542d8cf8b85c00df5f94a5f4b919b5e4e6aec81d.jpeg

Here is some Performance comparison between the Long Range, Acceleration Boost and Performance all done with the European Model Y, which always had Hairpin rear motors and the weaker LG battery packs. You can add up to 30kW for the US Model Y with Panasonic battery pack.

I wonder how the 4D1 motor compares to the 3D1/980 motor performance with the ghost module.
I have an 18 AWD M3 / 980 motor with Ghost as well as a 19 SR+ / 980 (now for sale) with the SR+ Module (+50hp). The new MY /4D1 with ghost definitely has a different feel. The power / torque curve seems to extend out further to me. Punching it at 70 feel like it hits harder than in the 3. I need to do some real testing and get some numbers.
-Jim

1. Model and Trim MYLR
2. VIN 7SAYGDEE3PAxxxxxx
3. Vehicle Build Date 03/25
4. Factory Austin
5. Rear Motor 4D1

Even if the performance difference for a stock LR is nil, seems like there is potential for some boost in efficiency and longevity. Thoughts?

Attachments

• Motor.jpg
    Motor.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 178
Took Delivery today. Not sure how to identify the exact build date but VIN was assigned 3/25/2023 MY LR
PA095XXXX 4D1

View attachment 925967
The build date of the car or motor?

As I was reminded, the build date of the car is on the “window sticker”/Monroney paper.

As for the motor, assuming it follows most others… the 22355 after the GFB means it was built on Dec 21st of 2022 (22 is year, 355 is day of year).

Ordered an inventory myp that’s coming end of this month. Went on Tesla-info.com and found the build sheet. It lists 4d1 as the rear motor. Looked up some earlier builds and looks like beginning of April Fremont built performances changed from 3d1 to 4d1’s.