Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What motor does your 2023 Model Y have?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has always been installing performance motors in LR, just never made it official. Back in the day LR stealth mode was an option but now it is being provided at no extra cost with software lock
You’re a bit confused…Tesla has not “always” been installing performance motors in LR. And the so called “stealth” was still sold as a performance MY and only for a very short period of time.

Reactions: android04
Screw you guys. had to crawl under the car 6Am!. not complaining though.
here is what I have
receive date 03/24 MYLR 7 seater. Freemont build
DU is 3D1

Attachments

• 20230413_064746.jpg
    20230413_064746.jpg
    314 KB · Views: 229
Reactions: vet757 and JezzaE
Ok, my tracking spreadsheet is getting a bit too big to share the image, but I am seeing some trends. First off, some MYLR vehicles initially had the F in the 8th VIN digit, identifying as a performance (and having the 4D1 motor). That has seemed to stop with all recent MYLRs showing the E digit.

Most of the Fremont MYLR vehicles are shipping with a mix between the 3D5/990 standard and 3D1/980 performance motors - manufactured from Nevada (TG1 code on the motor). Most Fremont build MYPs are getting the Austin build 4D1 motor but some have the 3D1/980 performance motor.

Starting in January/February, most of the MYLR vehicles from Austin are shipping with the 4D1 motor, which makes sense since the 4D1 motors are manufactured in Austin. Before that, they often received the Nevada built 3D1/980 motor. Austin's 4680 battery MYAWD is typically shipping with the Nevada built 3D5/990 motor.

A "head scratcher" for me is seeing a few March 2023 Austin build MYLR motor plates having a GFB motor, which means the motor was manufactured at Giga Berlin. I'm not sure why, since the 4D1 is being produced in Austin (Giga Texas)? These motors were received by TMC members Christian87n, evRob78 and 949r6. In regards to 949r6, the motor plate was a bit hard to read (perhaps a stamping error) for the GFB but it seemed to be built in 12/21/2022 with the vehicle manufactured in March 2023.

Ok, my tracking spreadsheet is getting a bit too big to share the image, but I am seeing some trends. First off, some MYLR vehicles initially had the F in the 8th VIN digit, identifying as a performance (and having the 4D1 motor). That has seemed to stop with all recent MYLRs showing the E digit.

Most of the Fremont MYLR vehicles are shipping with a mix between the 3D5/990 standard and 3D1/980 performance motors - manufactured from Nevada (TG1 code on the motor). Most Fremont build MYPs are getting the Austin build 4D1 motor but some have the 3D1/980 performance motor.

Starting in January/February, most of the MYLR vehicles from Austin are shipping with the 4D1 motor, which makes sense since the 4D1 motors are manufactured in Austin. Before that, they often received the Nevada built 3D1/980 motor. Austin's 4680 battery MYAWD is typically shipping with the Nevada built 3D5/990 motor.

A "head scratcher" for me is seeing a few March 2023 Austin build MYLR motor plates having a GFB motor, which means the motor was manufactured at Giga Berlin. I'm not sure why, since the 4D1 is being produced in Austin (Giga Texas)? These motors were received by TMC members Christian87n, evRob78 and 949r6. In regards to 949r6, the motor plate was a bit hard to read (perhaps a stamping error) for the GFB but it seemed to be built in 12/21/2022 with the vehicle manufactured in March 2023.
Thanks, JCLJ! Did not catch I had a Berlin motor - looks like my motor was built on 10 Feb 23 - vehicle manufactured in March. Wonder if demand in US for MY was high due to rumors that tax credit might end, and motors were the critical path, so Tesla imported some Berlin motors to keep production up.

Any difference between Berlin and Austin 4D1s? Would hope they're identical.