Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What other great purchases have you made?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a terrible sucker for infomercials. I buy everything. Only one item has ever exceeded my expectations.

I bought the original George Foreman Grill from the original infomercial. We still use it. I'm guessing it's been about 15 years.

The other item, under the "non-infomercial" category would have to be the TempurPedic mattress. I have many herniated discs and arthritis from combat wounds from my other life in Special Ops. I was in "mattress hell" for many years. The Tempurpedic has been a miracle. Nothing less. We have one in every bed, in every house.:smile:

Last edited:
There are 3 purchases that immediately leaped to my mind--

1) Merrill hiking shoes. I've owned a lot of shoes and a fair number of hiking boots. I purchased these about 15 (!!) years ago and they have always been the most comfortable pair of shoes I own-- of ALL the shoes I own. They've seen me through weeks of camping and hiking both with my family and with my son's scout troops. Even all these years later they're holding up remarkably well and I have no need (as of yet) to replace them.

2) Subaru Baja. It's really all the truck we ever need-- even moved nearly an entire household with it alone (over the course of about 2 months) -- but without any of the usual truck penalties. Most of the time it doesn't even occur to me that it's not a regular car, but it will carry an impressive amount and array of objects (unstoppable in snow too). It looks a a little strange, but mine is all silver so it looks more normal than most and the looks kind of grow on you when you realize its capabilities.

3) Li-Ion Craftsman Drill. As an avid DIYer on houses, cars, furniture, I find myself screwing around a lot, literally. Invariably over the years I've had several cordless drill sets. Also invariably, whenever I really needed to use one I would discover the battery had just enough power to tease me into thinking I might actually get something done only to have it feebly grind to a halt seconds later. With my Li-Ion drill, not only do the batteries hold immense power and never seem to run out-- but they have indicator lights to let me know when a recharge is coming up so I don't shimmy up into the attic in a weird contorted position only to THEN find out the battery is dead. If only everything could be powered by these kinds of batteries... like... say.... a CAR.

In no particular order

Galaxy Note 2 - First time i've gone a full year without wanting a new phone (ive used well over 200 phones since 2002, so you can see how often i dump them for a newer one)
Winchester SX3 - Dream shotgun, fires so fast its ridiculous (video on youtube of a guy emptying 12 shells in 1.4 seconds), too bad i cant get parts in Canada.
Tavor 21 - Dream rifle, saw it on tv, saw it on call of duty, now i have it! draws attention at the range like the Tesla :), i cant believe its unrestricted!
Paid off my house - i guess this is a purchase? it was necessary in order to get the Tesla
Lenovo Y580 - upgraded with a 256GB SSD for OS, 512GB SSD for storage/games, just like the Galaxy note 2, i havent wanted to upgraded it even after a year and a half, still outperforms or is on par with all new laptops in the price range.
Vizio 55" TRU LED 240Hz TV - i usually get a new TV every 2 years, but this one has been going for 5 years, it just works so flawless! most new tvs are still 120hz for some reason?
Merrell Hiking shoes - specifically the Moab wide vent, best shoes i've owned in my entire life, i dont care what else is available, these fit so perfect ill just buy a new pair after they wear out, also they have outlasted any other pair of shoes ive had, coming up to 3-4 years.

When I think of these great purchases, I think of things I would buy again and / or don't regret buying in the first place. Things that spring to mind are, apple products, a couple of previous cars, some watches, and of course the great Model S.

On the topic of grills, my Memphis Grill (pellet grill) has been very rewarding. Without having a real clue what I'm doing, everything comes out perfect. Easy to control, and it smells so good when it is cooking.

otherwise my house and my av equipment.

There are a lot of small purchases I have made that are awesome purchases as well where everything works as planned and there is nothing to complain about. Proper research and being willing to save up and pay for the best option (whether that means best fit for you or top of the line) leads to very little buyers remorse. Those were the biggest things I learned from being in sales at best buy.

I tend to lean toward being willing to pay more for top of the line cuz I don't enjoy feeling I need to upgrade a few months later just because my situation has changed.

Even from a sales perspective, I've learned it's best to help the customer understand the differences between products and what exactly they would get from paying more/less...then let the customer make a non pressured decision. They will have way less buyers remorse if they understand the product.

1) Gibson SG bought with saved up cash just before heading off to college in 1986. I still have it, but don't play it. I got about 12 years of sheer enjoyment out of that guitar. Probably worth more now than what I paid for it.
2) Teva River sandals. The kind with the buckle strap instead of velcro. Bought in 1993 and still rely on in the summer.
3) I have several bicycles, but my two favorites are a Colnago E1 and Wilier Alpe D'Huez which still bring me joy even though I'm old and slow now.
4) The 2006 Prius that I sold to get the Model S was money very well spent. I recently calculated the cost of ownership of that car; I forget the number but it was ridiculously low. Nevertheless at the same point in ownership where I am now with the Tesla, I didn't get the same joy getting behind the wheel.
5) efusco I'm with you on the Tivo. Major change in how we watch TV. My first one I bought with the lifetime service plan many years ago. When I upgraded to the HD, I gave it to my sister who still uses it.

Completely gutted the inside of my old house and put all new stuff back in. 3 years later, I still feel amazed when I open my front door.

My reef aquarium. I love having a tiny ocean in my living room, I can stare in the reef aquarium for hours. Very calming. Planning an even larger one next year...

And my Tempurpedic bed.

ReplayTV DVR's. I purchased our first one in December 2002, and purchased a few more years later. Even though it doesn't do HD, the UI was always superior to what the CableCo offers, and the WAF (wife acceptance factor) was off the charts. The best feature is the automatic Commercial Advance which works perfectly 95% of the time. Add to that the show-sharing feature that was built in, where you could send shows to other ReplayTV owners, and it's no wonder that Sonic Blue was sued over these.

We still use a few of them today, long ago upgraded from the 40Gb drives to 250Gb ones. I can't think of another tech that I've owned that has lasted 11 years.

went with the Sonos system for a few rooms in the house this year. fantastic - especially when paired with a $36/year subscription to Pandora.

want to listen to classical guitar in the living room? Don't even need to get up, just use your phone. Wife wants AC/DC in the kitchen at the same time? She can do it herself on her phone. Friends coming over and you want some jazz to be played across the whole house and synchronized? Done.

took me a year to pull the trigger as I figured I could just build it myself with some Raspberry Pi boxes. When I was no longer deluded about the actual amount of free time I have, I stopped in Best Buy on my way home and had it up and running in about 10 mins after I got home.

1997 Dodge Viper (bought in 2000)- turns heads like nothing else, easy to work on, super fun. When I sell it, it will have cost me 125$ per month to own (not counting gas!)

Nice! I thought I was killing it with my Evo @ ~$90 a month. Another $35 a month for a Viper would have been well worth it (supposing I could have driven it in Ohio winters, which I obviously couldn't :wink:)! Not exactly looking forward to the $800+ a month TCO for the Model S as much as I'm looking forward to driving it.

Nothing beats our family vacations....

Got lot's of stuff, but family trips to the national parks (when they are open ;-), Europe, the Mediterranean, the Far East, etc. are the best - life is about experiences and relationships.

BTW, I consider the purchase of My Precious a relationship...some relationships can be bought.

Staying at Camp Ohana in Vermont. Great vacation. Hawaii also pretty nice :)

I thought I loved my iPod, until I got a Mac. Which I thought the most amazing thing ever, until I got an iPhone. Then I thought I loved the iPhone, until I got an iPad!

ReplayTV was awesome - got my wife one around 1998. She accused me of buying her a present for myself. She admitted she was mistaken shortly after :)

Commodore 64, Amiga, and a C compiler.

Paintball.

Another nod for a Cannondale road bike (CAAD10 in my case). Fits me like no bike before!

Trips to London; the Natural History Museum; the British Science Museum, and the Tower of London are highlights. Also love Devon, Wales, and the New Forest (about 950 years old now).

Going under dark skies to star watch. Fantastic. Saturn through a telescope is view hard to beat.

Best money I ever spent? Easy: $75 to adopt my "West Virginia terrier" Lucy. Her full TCO is much higher, but she is totally worth it. Whoever said $ can't buy love never adopted a dog :)
runners-up:
- Model S
- remodeling my kitchen
- most (not all) that I have planted in my yard or a garden I used to have, I love seeing plants thrive and especially when I can pick fresh tomatoes or herbs and turn them into a meal
- and there are a few books that I would consider amazing purchases, but that list would be totally off-topic