Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How can you calculate market cap for the merged entity of SPAC + company just based on the SPAC's share price? Obviously other pertinent information is missing...

I was just about to ask this. If the float remains the same, a ~$600 million market cap for currently owning 800 DC fast charging stations doesn't sound too bad.

EDIT: Found the SEC filing: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1821159/000121390021003603/ea133683-8k_climate1.htm

a number of newly issued shares of Class B common stock, par value $0.0001 per share ... which will be equal to the quotient obtained by dividing (x) $1,958,000,000 by (y) $10.00

So that sounds like a float of 195,800,000 shares, which at current market price of $21.12 would mean a market cap of ~$4.1 billion. Does that math checkout?

Last edited:
In theory every company CAN go bankrupt. But is it likely to? I (and most people here) knew enough about Tesla and their finances and their never give up CEO to conclude that bankruptcy was very unlikely. And yeah, I know Elon has said Tesla came close during the initial Model 3 ramp (which was actually mirrored in the stock price falling below $200/$40 a share, pre/post split), but I continue to believe he is being overly dramatic since I think Tesla could have raised $$ if they had needed to to give them more time to figure things out.

Anyways, my point is that if you don’t have enough visibility into a company to judge bankruptcy risk, I’d recommend staying away from it. There are enough good companies out there to invest in without having to roll the dice like that.

Someone just 'liked' this older post of mine, so I'll add something. One of the ways I analyze early stage companies is to see how much cash they have relatively to burn rate to estimate this bankruptcy risk. It's pretty simple, just look at the last few periods of their income statement, and get a sense of the monthly or quarterly operating loss. Factor in any expected operating loss reduction as they grow. Divide the cash by this amount and that gives you the number of months or quarters of cash the company has. Now take into account the ability for the company to borrow or fundraise.

I use this all the time for judging private companies, and we are seeing some pretty early stage public companies these days, so also applicable.

How can you calculate market cap for the merged entity of SPAC + company just based on the SPAC's share price? Obviously other pertinent information is missing...

You can’t. You have to dig into the details of the merger agreement. It is complicated since the original SPAC investors typically have various preferences like warrants that they might exercise. And then often the SPAC money isn’t enough cash for the newly minted public company so there is a PIPE fundraiser coincident with the merger, so, lots of pieces to pull together. Usually the is an investor presentation (PowerPoint) which lays all this out. You can often find that by looking at the SEC documents (Edgar search).

Reactions: ZeApelido
You can often find that by looking at the SEC documents (Edgar search).

Found the investor presentation for the SPAC here: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1821159/000121390021003603/ea133683ex99-3_climate1.htm

Most fascinating part for me is how they're installing Tesla connectors:

Screenshot from 2021-01-22 10-40-00.png

Found the investor presentation for the SPAC here: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1821159/000121390021003603/ea133683ex99-3_climate1.htm

Most fascinating part for me is how they're installing Tesla connectors:

View attachment 629668

Finally, a company that gets it. Why would you build a charging network and NOT include connectors for by far the biggest number of EVs?

My question on this and all other charging networks is, do they have a path to profitability? Charging network are notorious for being money losers.

Finally, a company that gets it. Why would you build a charging network and NOT include connectors for by far the biggest number of EVs?

My question on this and all other charging networks is, do they have a path to profitability? Charging network are notorious for being money losers.
My secret hope is that everyone (except EA of course because they'll refuse just because) eventually puts Tesla connectors in and I don't have to buy the CCS1 (when it comes) or Chademo adapter.

Reactions: willow_hiller

Yeah, the financials look a little bleak. If I'm reading this right, they're not expecting profit until 2023, and not expecting positive free cash flow until 2026. And just a disclaimer, I've got absolutely no cash to buy into this SPAC. I'm just super bored at work right now.

Screenshot from 2021-01-22 10-50-08.png

I'm skeptical of these charging network companies being that profitable. Most people can L2 charge at home, work, or where they park their car at night. I have used a supercharger maybe 10 times since I got my car. I know plenty of people live in apartments/condos or are on the road a lot but I just don't see there being huge demand.
This is why it has made sense for Tesla to build out their own Supercharger network, as a way to improve the value proposition of the cars they sell, as opposed to a profit center in and of itself. Perhaps some businesses would be willing to subsidize fast chargers, but would this be enough to justify a relatively high stock valuation?

• Love
Reactions: EnzoXYZ
My secret hope is that everyone (except EA of course because they'll refuse just because) eventually puts Tesla connectors in and I don't have to buy the CCS1 (when it comes) or Chademo adapter.

Yes indeed, and maybe that's why Tesla hasn't come out with a NA CCS adapter. They could see where this is heading.

Reactions: willow_hiller
I have no money in it and it has no real relevance to Tesla or evs but the short squeeze that never really happened in Tesla may actually be happening in GME (Gamestop) right now. It's a highly entertaining story if you've been following along on Reddit and elsewhere. Can the retail 'investors' really stick it to the big guys?

I have no money in it and it has no real relevance to Tesla or evs but the short squeeze that never really happened in Tesla may actually be happening in GME (Gamestop) right now. It's a highly entertaining story if you've been following along on Reddit and elsewhere. Can the retail 'investors' really stick it to the big guys?
Oh wow, I saw the rumours about this but it's hilarious that it's actually happening.