Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Amprius wins an award for their battery tech

Also announces third party verified 500Wh/kg cell

Amprius wins an award for their battery tech

Also announces third party verified 500Wh/kg cell

Looks like a high silicon pouch cell with values measured at 30% SOC (low expansion) without supporting structure (low mass).

Looks like a high silicon pouch cell with values measured at 30% SOC (low expansion) without supporting structure (low mass).
It looks like the volumetric value is measured at 30% SOC not the gravimetric density.

Superior Battery Performance
  • High Energy Density
    • Up to 450 Wh/kg(2) and 1,150 Wh/L(2)(3)
Note: Certain performance metrics are based on specific Amprius products.
(1) Actual percentage of silicon is 99.5-99.9% which is within the range of acceptable purity levels for materials that are considered 100%.
(2) At C/10 and 23°C.
(3) Volumetric energy density is calculated using body dimensions at 30% state of charge (“SoC”).

Reactions: mongo
It looks like the volumetric value is measured at 30% SOC not the gravimetric density.

Superior Battery Performance
  • High Energy Density
    • Up to 450 Wh/kg(2) and 1,150 Wh/L(2)(3)
Note: Certain performance metrics are based on specific Amprius products.
(1) Actual percentage of silicon is 99.5-99.9% which is within the range of acceptable purity levels for materials that are considered 100%.
(2) At C/10 and 23°C.
(3) Volumetric energy density is calculated using body dimensions at 30% state of charge (“SoC”).
Yeah, I should have been clearer on tying the conditions to the values. SOC doesn't impact gravimetric, or specific, energy density; it's volume independent and based on a full charge.

Reactions: JRP3
What I'm not clear on is how much does the pouch expand at full charge that they have to measure at only 30% SOC to get what I assume is their maximum value, does it blow up like a balloon?
I know silicon can expand 3x so it depends on it's volume vs the rest of the cell and cathode changes. From the crossection image of the anode I wonder about longevity and ion travel distance.

Stable high-capacity and high-rate silicon-based lithium battery anodes upon two-dimensional covalent encapsulation - Nature Communications
Paper on volume changes on a cell can, not really applicable, but cool CAT images:
https://d-nb.info/1225880130/34

Paywalled, but has a graph:
SmartSelect_20230323_160953_Firefox.jpg

https://www.researchgate.net/figure...arious-C-rates-a-shows-average_fig3_325286870

• Informative
Reactions: JRP3
The Amprius silicon nanowire anode seems to have space between the nanowires which should provide some area for expansion before pressing against the cell layers.

View attachment 920659

View attachment 920660

But that's what it looks like when it doesn't have cathodes pushed into it. The internal wire seems like it would help though.
Small world that they are across the street from Kato and the Fremont factory.

The big lingering question: What case do they have that they can manufacture at volume and at a cost that makes the product attractive? Any insights appreciated
From the letter:

Received our first large-scale anode production
machine from centrotherm in October: This
machine is now installed at our Fremont facility
and is expected to increase our capacity for silicon
anode production to approximately 2 MWh, or
about ten times our current capacity, exiting

Well yes, they have cells with LiCo and NMC, maybe others, check the PDF I linked previously.
Ok, I will, but I'm curious about this 500 wh/kg battery that they did the big press release about, specifically. Is it LiCo, NCA, NMC, or another chemistry? Seems unlikely that it would be a "pure" LiCo chemistry. The press release was light on details. Cycle life at 100% DoD would be good to know too.