Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm thinking word might be out about the last prepayment from Apple. Also there was chatter about confirmation of the iPhone 6 having full sapphire display and Hyperion being used for cancer treatments.

yeah - I think the iPh6 sapphire display sightings and associated rumor is the current driver. we should get news on the last pre-payment in the coming ER. Could be leaks on that before then though -

wow that cynk thing is crazy. Almost makes me want to buy a few hundred shares!!! No one can explain why it's going up- it must be because someone cornered the market and short sellers are being screwed. If you grab shares, squeeze more =)

wow that cynk thing is crazy. Almost makes me want to buy a few hundred shares!!! No one can explain why it's going up- it must be because someone cornered the market and short sellers are being screwed. If you grab shares, squeeze more =)

I wanted to buy puts, I posted when the CYNK was trading just under $22 & it closed around $14 :cursing:. Company has 1 employee, zero assets, huge losses, a joke of a "social" app (no users) but people think its the next WhatsApp or Snapchat.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]UPDATE: The SEC has also gotten involved, issuing an order of suspension:[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$22 to pretty much worthless in less then 24 hours, its not 7:00 am yet but I got a feeling I might be "Marinating Ice Cubes" early today over this missed opportunity (Art Cashin quote) [/FONT]

Last edited:
I posted this in the SCTY thread, but it belongs here, so I copied and pasted it (without editing):

As far as GTAT (sorry for going off topic for a second here), I will try to write something up in the "other investments" thread, but there is so much to write about. In the mean time, I recommend reading some of Matt Margolis articles on seeking alpha or his website, such as this article he posted today:

GTATs Hyperion Technology is Laser Focused on Cancer

He is just a regular dude that posted on yahoo message board, where he learned a lot, did a ton of legwork, and ran with it. He now tries to sell a research product for about $100/month at PTT research. I would never recommend paying for that unless you have hundreds of thousands of dollars in GTAT or MU (only 2 stocks he writes about now). He posts most of his stuff to the public about a week after releasing it to paid subscribers anyway, so no reason to pay because his info is not really market moving that you need it now.

Word of caution on Matt, is that he extrapolates everything into best possible case and subtracts ~20% to be "conservative" and comes up with a PT of $87.50 by next June (GTAT is at $15 right now). He is a little exuberant, so be careful. But his research is really good.

GTAT just had a 30% decline last week due to some analysts manipulating the stock, since it started running away from them and on 4th of July weekend a sapphire 4.7" iphone screen was leaked out and GTAT was poised for take-off. It appears that some research analysts colluded to "downgrade" to hold while keeping PT's steady for some extremely bogus reasons; not unlike GS downgrade of TSLA. A bunch of shorts had to close their positions and UBS had some autocallable securities due last week that lost them more money the higher GTAT went.

What I am trying to say is due your research quickly on this stock, because it may turn out that this is a great buying opportunity on this pullback. Apple should unveil iphone6 in just 2 months, so a huge catalyst could be on the way. Their will be many leaks and other possible catalysts at any time.

In the mean time, GTAT is a momo stock like TSLA and it can pull back hard during a market correction like other momo stocks.

(Shameless plug) We have a very good discussion of GTAT on our TCI website and the GTAT thread has picked up a lot of steam and useful information of the past month. rsk has some extremely useful input on this topic. I recommend reading over the thread if you are seriously interested in investing in GTAT. Note: there are huge risks investing in GTAT, but I have more than half my money in that stock (sorry JASO, still love you but you are now second):

GT Advanced Technologies Inc. (GTAT) | The Contrarian Investor Discussion Board

And to go back on topic GTAT was originally a solar equipment provider, but has since diversified into sapphire (huge potential after signing huge deal with Apple, who invested $578m in GTAT to build out sapphire capacity), Hyperion (this could be a major game changer in slicing stuff really thin; oh, and BTW it can also cure cancer - no joke, read the article posted above), LED, power electronics, other stuff.]

GTAT has this really cool Merlin technology that will allow you to make solar cells that are 0.7% more efficient, use 80% less silver, save money on paste, and allow you to make 50% lighter modules that will be more flexible and have better longevity; it also uses cheaper copper instead of silver.

Sorry for going off-topic - if you guys have any GTAT questions, please ask them in the "other investments" thread and I will try to respond. It is a high risk/ extremely high reward stock.

Now back on topic and I will be talking SCTY now.

GTAT also supplies solar equipment and it is possible that SCTY will be buying some equipment from them to build out Silevo.

hey Dave T,
It is my understanding that unless you are a big VC, it is nearly impossiblen as an individual investor to get into series A funding (too much paperwork). Is this the case, or do you know other ways to invest in Trello?

hey Dave T,
It is my understanding that unless you are a big VC, it is nearly impossiblen as an individual investor to get into series A funding (too much paperwork). Is this the case, or do you know other ways to invest in Trello?

I read in an article this morning that the Series A round was a few VC firms and some angel investors (accredited) too. I emailed Trello this morning to see if the round had completely closed or not, and they replied back saying the round had closed.

In order for an angel investor to get into a hot company like Trello, they need to be very close with the company/founders or they need to really show they can add value as an investor. Since Trello has amazing traction, is likely profitable already, and has proven leadership, they can choose from any investor they like.

I heard that Square's Series A was very hot (a while back). Kevin Rose ended up making a viral video about Square and then begged/asked to get into the round, and they let him in.

Any fellow YHOO investors? Seems like a sure thing with their Alibaba stake being worth $34-45B on a $150-200B valuation which seems pretty reasonable when you look at how companies with a lot of similarities are priced like Amazon, Tencent and Baidu. Applying a $40B value to their BABA stake, $6B after taxes on their Yahoo Japan stake and $10B for their core + cash on balance sheet puts us at a total of $56B vs their current $36,5B valuation. I intentionally left a tax liability on their BABA stake given the opportunity for Alibaba to acquire Yahoo and have their shares without any liability.

I read in an article this morning that the Series A round was a few VC firms and some angel investors (accredited) too. I emailed Trello this morning to see if the round had completely closed or not, and they replied back saying the round had closed.

In order for an angel investor to get into a hot company like Trello, they need to be very close with the company/founders or they need to really show they can add value as an investor. Since Trello has amazing traction, is likely profitable already, and has proven leadership, they can choose from any investor they like.

I heard that Square's Series A was very hot (a while back). Kevin Rose ended up making a viral video about Square and then begged/asked to get into the round, and they let him in.

Does that mean square will go public?