Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ouch. That's going to hurt. Even worse, he basically told Sandy Munro to take a hike after Sandy specifically asked anyone at Tesla to help him.

I personally never thought much of three wheeled vehicles either, BTW.
I agree. 3 wheels are worse than 2 wheels, which are much worse than 4 wheels, which are much worse on average than Teslas.

Thats what I saw with three wheels. In America a vehicle has to have mass since other vehicles are rolling with over 4000lbs. You can have all the air bags you want but if your car is half the weight @ 1800lbs you will get injured. Get in a fender bender you end up cripple of with permanent back/neck injuries. Also I don't think their vehicles have airbags. That is why I would never invest in FUV. Maybe in the future when all cars are on FSD(and required) for driving than yes we can start removing mass from all vehicles so they can be more efficient.

Reactions: Cosmacelf
Can you please explain how this would be passive income? I.e., selling electricity back to the grid? Never thought about this great idea!

Seems like it’s too early for that kind of thing. Look at how much collective trouble it’s been for users to unload excess solar...

Once the roadblocks are cleared distributed power storage could be a useful augmentation of The Grid, but even then I'd expect it to be more of a reduction in personal expenditure for grid users manifest in a manner that materially benefits The Grid, not a profit center for grid users. Let's face it, there's little incentive for The Grid to pay users to still be connected to The Grid.

Of course in the short term the ROI is far too difficult for most grid users, and I'm not eve sure there's a legal way to sell back stored energy. Obviously there's the entry cost--DIY is of course cheaper but a single power wall starts at like $6.5k--and then there's the very unfavorable ratio of user rate vs sell-back rate in many places.

Reactions: abasile
Seems like it’s too early for that kind of thing. Look at how much collective trouble it’s been for users to unload excess solar...

Once the roadblocks are cleared distributed power storage could be a useful augmentation of The Grid, but even then I'd expect it to be more of a reduction in personal expenditure for grid users manifest in a manner that materially benefits The Grid, not a profit center for grid users. Let's face it, there's little incentive for The Grid to pay users to still be connected to The Grid.

Of course in the short term the ROI is far too difficult for most grid users, and I'm not eve sure there's a legal way to sell back stored energy. Obviously there's the entry cost--DIY is of course cheaper but a single power wall starts at like $6.5k--and then there's the very unfavorable ratio of user rate vs sell-back rate in many places.

I mean if the megapack in Australia paid itself off so fast it kinda suggests your assumptions are wrong. If HoAs, neighboorhoods or small towns could dial up tesla and get it started tesla could kill the duck curve real fast.

Edit: And the early projects are likely to have a much better ROI than the later ones. Not much profit when the duck curve is almost gone. compared to when its causing system stress, like now in california

I mean if the megapack in Australia paid itself off so fast it kinda suggests your assumptions are wrong.

Could be, though its a bit of a stretch to consider a mega utility scale installation in a near worst-case grid environment (thanks in no small part to the legacy power suppliers) as the benchmark for such an endeavor. Your point is really that a mega utility scale battery can successfully augment The Grid, and I'd surmise that nobody disagrees.

But, to wit, for the foreseeable future you're not going to [legally] sell power to your neighbor.

As a few data points: 1) Hornsdale is operated by Neoen and power is distributed by ElectraNet, 2) The Monterey megapack is commissioned by PG&E, who will presumably operate (or subcontract operations) and distribute the resources.

Edit: And the early projects are likely to have a much better ROI than the later ones. Not much profit when the duck curve is almost gone. compared to when its causing system stress, like now in california

On the flip side, the later projects are much more likely to have better ROI than the early ones because of 1) ever decreasing capex as storage technology improves and storage production increases and as storage demand creates competition amongst suppliers 2) ever increasing acceptance of the concept enabled by evolving sociopolitical and bureaucratic mindsets (see: solar), enabling more favorable distributed power solutions, and 3) ever increasing demand due to ever increasing renewable installations that, without corollary storage, ultimately asymptote at some demand that necessarily relies on energy generation from more traditional sources.

Q2 Ark webcast, they mentioned NNDM as micro-cap in their fund that has underperformed recently but they had confidence in. NNDM is an Israeli company that manufactures 3D printers of circuit boards. Their value add is in collapsing the timeline from design to production, quick iteration and maintaining design secrecy... where custom boards can be rapidly designed, produced, and tested in short order. Today NNDM was up 34% and in the after hours it’s up another 28%. Additionally, ARKQ added 214,461shares today. That alone could be the catalyst. Maybe something to take a look at, for my fellow TMC investors.

Anyone care to explain in two sentences what Palantir actually does? Something to look into?

PLTR

This should help: Palantir Technologies | IPOScoop

"Gotham enables users to identify patterns hidden deep within datasets, ranging from signals (from) intelligence sources to reports from confidential informants, and helps U.S. and allied military personnel find what they are looking for."

So, primarily a military software contractor, but they are also selling their tech to the commercial sector. You'd have to look into that part closely because normally military contractors do a crappy job at selling into the competitive private sector.

Just a shout out to look at GP. The stock is on sale. I suspect it has been going down due to drag from NKLA.

GP has been growing sales 100% the past two years. It appears to have solid and conservative management. And for the first time in their life, they have money in the bank from their recent NASDAQ listing. I expect them to do well going forward.

Disclaimer: I am an investor in GP.