Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for bringing it to the attention of this group. I am thinking of buying some and holding. Any comments on the deal they signed? Sounds positive to me.
Canada Nickel Signs MOU with Glencore Canada for Potential Use of the Kidd Concentrator and Metallurgical Site

I am disappointed by the news. I expected more though. I think that it was overkill to halt the stock for a non binding MoU. I wish that was a contract. Nevertheless, this gives me more confidence that CNC would be able to get the manpower required to ship the Nickel ore to Tesla factories for a fraction of the COST and TIME to set up everything from scratch.
Also gives more confidence that PEA news would be overwhelmingly positive.

Here is a random internet comment I found
Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 16.48.40.png

Anyone know anything about MercadoLibre, Inc. (MELI), South America e-commerce and digital payments?

While Amazon has been a core holding of mine for a while, I'm concerned they kicked off a company from their cloud service (Parler) with one day's notice. Parler will probably die now. If I were a company looking to build an Internet platform that would disqualify Amazon for me. Also, there is a boycott Amazon movement starting (don't know how much legs it will have). While these things tend to blow over, I do wonder.

At any rate, it isn't as if Amazon is going to go through truly explosive growth from here on out since they are quite big now. Hence, I'm thinking of rotating out of Amazon into other e-commerce.

Wayfair (W) is another - they are shielded from Amazon since they sell very bulky stuff (furniture) that Amazon's logistics have zero help for.

Reactions: abasile
Rumor mills has it that $CCIV is a SPAC that's considering a merger with Lucid Motors. This was pure speculation a loong time ago, but now Bloomberg has picked it up, giving some more legitimacy to the rumor.

I picked up some $CCIV commons @$11.xx on this rumor. Willing to risk 10% downside to see this through. Worst case scenario, if they don't merge, whenever options open up, I'll sell covered calls until I get called away.

Despite what DaveT says, I think Lucid has a legitimate chance of competing against $TSLA. That's a lot more than I can say for most EV/HFC reverse-merger SPAC deals coming to market.

Anyone know anything about MercadoLibre, Inc. (MELI), South America e-commerce and digital payments?

While Amazon has been a core holding of mine for a while, I'm concerned they kicked off a company from their cloud service (Parler) with one day's notice. Parler will probably die now. If I were a company looking to build an Internet platform that would disqualify Amazon for me. Also, there is a boycott Amazon movement starting (don't know how much legs it will have). While these things tend to blow over, I do wonder.

At any rate, it isn't as if Amazon is going to go through truly explosive growth from here on out since they are quite big now. Hence, I'm thinking of rotating out of Amazon into other e-commerce.

Wayfair (W) is another - they are shielded from Amazon since they sell very bulky stuff (furniture) that Amazon's logistics have zero help for.

Walmart.com is probably Amazon's biggest competitor in terms of online retail IMO. You can find almost anything you could ever want on either site and have it shipped to your doorstep in a couple of days. They both have groceries available as well, it just depends on whether you want to shop at "whole paycheck" for the higher end stuff or walmart for your run of the mill grocery store items at a discount. Walmart has the advantage of many brick and mortar locations which allow them to sell larger items for in-store pickup as well. I don't personally see why anyone would have to get their retail stuff from Amazon over Walmart should they want to avoid Amazon.

The thing that sets Amazon apart (IMO) is that they have AWS and as long as that doesn't get spun off I still think Amazon is a growth stock.

I am more of an eBay man myself, but I like refurbished stuff and used items when possible to save money... plus I sell a lot of stuff on there rather than throw it away or deal with the craigslist/offerup lowballers and no-shows. But I don't see eBay as a big growth company either.

If you wanted an up and comer, I know that Wish (WISH) is pretty heavily downloaded in the app stores. It isn't where I'd choose to shop but my unscientific survey of women I know shows that it is pretty well liked FWIW. A bunch of analyst estimates just came out for it and most show 25 - 50% upside.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Cosmacelf

It's my second biggest holding. About 1.5% of my portfolio. I started buying other stocks besides TSLA last year during the split announcement runup. I thought it was time to start diversifying. I felt I had to do it for peace of mind. The Motley Fool kept recommending it, so I kept buying until I reached my limit. It's like one of their favorite stocks. My shares are up 48%, so in hindsight I should have just stuck with TSLA. I'm planning on holding for at least ten years, so we'll see what happens. Hopefully TSLA continues to outperform it.

Rumor mills has it that $CCIV is a SPAC that's considering a merger with Lucid Motors. This was pure speculation a loong time ago, but now Bloomberg has picked it up, giving some more legitimacy to the rumor.

I picked up some $CCIV commons @$11.xx on this rumor. Willing to risk 10% downside to see this through. Worst case scenario, if they don't merge, whenever options open up, I'll sell covered calls until I get called away.

Despite what DaveT says, I think Lucid has a legitimate chance of competing against $TSLA. That's a lot more than I can say for most EV/HFC reverse-merger SPAC deals coming to market.
Lucid won't have the scale to affect Tesla this decade, if ever. That doesn't mean they won't be successful because if EV demand surges as most of us expect, Tesla won't be able to fill it all. Plus, not everyone is going to want a Tesla.

I'm rooting for Lucid even though it is extremely unfortunate Saudi Arabia owns more than half the company.

Lucid won't have the scale to affect Tesla this decade, if ever. That doesn't mean they won't be successful because if EV demand surges as most of us expect, Tesla won't be able to fill it all. Plus, not everyone is going to want a Tesla.

I'm rooting for Lucid even though it is extremely unfortunate Saudi Arabia owns more than half the company.

Yeah... By no means did I mean to imply that Lucid's success would come at the cost of $TSLA's sales.
But out of all the "non-Tesla" EV startups, and non-Tesla offerings by established automakers, Lucid is probably the only one that I find compelling as a consumer. Plus I think they have a good plan in place for charging, future model expansion, and battery tech seems decent.

I think (hope) their interior finish is significantly better than Tesla's.

Yeah... By no means did I mean to imply that Lucid's success would come at the cost of $TSLA's sales.
But out of all the "non-Tesla" EV startups, and non-Tesla offerings by established automakers, Lucid is probably the only one that I find compelling as a consumer. Plus I think they have a good plan in place for charging, future model expansion, and battery tech seems decent.

I think (hope) their interior finish is significantly better than Tesla's.

Shouldn't we keep discussion of resource mining and refining stocks in this thread linked below and away from this TECH STOCKS thread?

The Resource Angle
I feel like that just fractures things. I'm hear to learn about interesting stocks to consider (and why). That just means I have to subscribe to yet another board to find out about various tech companies. Seems like that leads down the road of fracturing for all various markets:
mining tech companies in thread A
wireless tech companies in thread B
battery tech companies in thread C
ev car tech companies in thread D
solar tech companies in thread E
and so on and so on.

I can see the Resource Angle more for getting into the nitty gritty of a resource (nickel scarcity, difficulties, details on a process, etc).

I feel like that just fractures things. I'm hear to learn about interesting stocks to consider (and why). That just means I have to subscribe to yet another board to find out about various tech companies. Seems like that leads down the road of fracturing for all various markets:
mining tech companies in thread A
wireless tech companies in thread B
battery tech companies in thread C
ev car tech companies in thread D
solar tech companies in thread E
and so on and so on.

I can see the Resource Angle more for getting into the nitty gritty of a resource (nickel scarcity, difficulties, details on a process, etc).

Two. There are two threads on investing. Tech and then Resources. Let’s not exaggerate. And the pitfalls and investment styles for resources and tech and wildly different. If you think investing in a lithium mine is similar to investing in a battery cathode manufacturer, you’ve got some more researching to do.

Resources thread for mining and primary resource extraction, Tech thread for pretty much all else (except TSLA, of course).

Reactions: Boomer19
Last edited:
Chamath announcing a SOFI merger with one of his SPACs. IPOE is up ~30%, so I assume that's the one.

I bought IPOB and then sold after it "merged" with a company I wasn't interested in. Bought IPOC and it's now Clover Health. Bought a bit of IPOD/E/F earlier this week thankfully and will continue to buy them as Chamath releases further into the alphabet.

what do you think of sofi. did you do the ipoe or ipoe u (the unit)?

they have conditional approval for national bank charter, no easy set of hurdles.

are you dumping after merger or maybe plan to hold and see