Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds like you still have to calibrate by pinprick a few times a day. I'll pass.
You do. I did a bunch of reading on them this last week and you can find some thoughts I related in earlier posts from a coworker who deals with diabetes and has his own continuous insulin loop system.

However, as an investment I'm still in despite some long term concerns because:
  • Their 180 day monitor's FDA approval is imminent. It was delayed due to Covid, not a failure of the trials (the system is already being used outside the US)
  • Their new partner, Ascencia, seems a better fit than their previous partner Roche
  • They plan 1 stick a day and a 360 day monitor in a couple years
While I'm somewhat skeptical of their ultimate potential lacking a non-stick system and no announced plans of a continuous loop integration with a pump vendor, it looks like the near term stock performance (i.e. this year) looks pretty reasonable.

Reactions: ZeApelido and Mikeb
Yeah, my read on it is that it has potential but not a revolution unless the pricing is amazing (although I guess if it's picked up by all the insurance companies then that's fine too). It does seem like those who use it like it though.

The Dexcom G6 apparently needs only a couple pricks every 10 days to calibrate (when you replace the sensor) and the upcoming G7 will be further improved in all aspects. The current 90 day Senseonics unit needs a prick every 12 hours for calibration and going in for a "surgical" procedure, no matter how minor, is a mental barrier for people vs just inserting it yourself.

I expect it'll pop even more when FDA approval comes but without significant improvements, it's not exactly ahead of what already exists. I think the most important factor is to achieve bullet-proof reliability while not needing so many calibrations (accuracy is apparently very good). Without that, this will likely never be widely popular.

[edit]I've also read that CGM's are only important for Type-1 diabetes which is a small fraction of diabetes in the States

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikeb
[edit]I've also read that CGM's are only important for Type-1 diabetes which is a small fraction of diabetes in the States
That's also part of why I'm still invested. The CGM space is much smaller than the overall monitoring space, so if SENS can get a share of just the monitoring market they'll be in decent shape. 180 days is only twice the time of the 90 days, but going 2x a year versus every 3 months mentally feels like a tipping point in terms of whether that's deterrent to people using it.

While I'm somewhat skeptical of their ultimate potential lacking a non-stick system and no announced plans of a continuous loop integration with a pump vendor, it looks like the near term stock performance (i.e. this year) looks pretty reasonable.[/QUOTE.

$SENS
Do u see value in their partnership with Beta Bionics?

I think when noninvasive, the CGM market could actually grow much larger.

If you can get blood glucose levels by simply looking at your watch, this might be useful to non-diabetics as well. Trying to study and control glucose levels / eating & exercise patterns can be a big thing in the health and fitness movements. These people aren't getting anything surgically implanted. TAM will be much larger.

I think when noninvasive, the CGM market could actually grow much larger.

If you can get blood glucose levels by simply looking at your watch, this might be useful to non-diabetics as well. Trying to study and control glucose levels / eating & exercise patterns can be a big thing in the health and fitness movements. These people aren't getting anything surgically implanted. TAM will be much larger.
The only ones wanting such devices are the people that don’t need them because they already take responsibility for their health.

The only ones wanting such devices are the people that don’t need them because they already take responsibility for their health.
There are more shades of grey than that. I work out 5 days a week, I eat fairly healthy, I'm a healthy weight and yet I have high blood pressure, borderline cholesterol and waiver around the pre-diabetic blood sugar level when I have blood tests each year. That's been true nearly all my adult life, even in my 30s when I was in particularly good shape. Genetics predispositions...they can suck.

While I don't require diabetes meds at this point, I have done the finger pricks 2-3 times a day at times to see how my daily trend was if a yearly test was higher that year.

A non-invasive thing I could wear, at least occasionally, would be a lot better and more frequent measurement than the 1/year blood test at my doctor.

There are more shades of grey than that. I work out 5 days a week, I eat fairly healthy, I'm a healthy weight and yet I have high blood pressure, borderline cholesterol and waiver around the pre-diabetic blood sugar level when I have blood tests each year. That's been true nearly all my adult life, even in my 30s when I was in particularly good shape. Genetics predispositions...they can suck.

While I don't require diabetes meds at this point, I have done the finger pricks 2-3 times a day at times to see how my daily trend was if a yearly test was higher that year.

A non-invasive thing I could wear, at least occasionally, would be a lot better and more frequent measurement than the 1/year blood test at my doctor.

but the frequent testing doesn’t change the therapy or the outcome. You’re already living a healthy lifestyle. Due to bad luck you probably have to start medication at some time in the future. But testing twice a day doesn’t change that. Although once a year is not nearly enough, I agree.

• Disagree
Reactions: bkp_duke
but the frequent testing doesn’t change the therapy or the outcome. You’re already living a healthy lifestyle. Due to bad luck you probably have to start medication at some time in the future. But testing twice a day doesn’t change that. Although once a year is not nearly enough, I agree.

Frequent testing is EXACTLY to change the therapy (insulin dosage if on insulin, to start insulin if borderline, to decrease or stop dosage if hypoglycemic).

Simple fact: the rates of diabetic complications are significantly lower for patients on CGMs (implanted or not).

Frequent testing is EXACTLY to change the therapy (insulin dosage if on insulin, to start insulin if borderline, to decrease or stop dosage if hypoglycemic).

Simple fact: the rates of diabetic complications are significantly lower for patients on CGMs (implanted or not).
Yes, if you’re on insulin it’s a whole different cookie. You’re absolutely right about that. But then we are talking therapy, not monitoring more or less healthy individuals. These systems exist and are very useful. Drifting a bit OT, I’m sorry.

Yes, if you’re on insulin it’s a whole different cookie. You’re absolutely right about that. But then we are talking therapy, not monitoring more or less healthy individuals. These systems exist and are very useful. Drifting a bit OT, I’m sorry.

No insurance in the world (US, or socialized) will approve one of these very expensive devices for anyone not diagnosed with a glucose homeostasis problem (i.e. diabetes or hypoglycemia).

So why did you bring it up?

@ckessel would probably qualify, since he has a history of abnormal glucose measurements

Could expand to everyone with carbohydrate processing issues. DM, fatty liver, hyper TG.
I see value in awareness. You’d be surprised how many people don’t recognize there are carbs in milk, for example.

Lynas (LYSCF) is up 7% in the ASX right now. This move will surely be mirrored in the US and other markets by market close tomorrow. If you want to buy into this stock, set a limit order in the morning. Prices tend to lag on this thinly traded stock.

Don’t know what is sparking this move today.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: abasile
Dexcom had a superbowl ad for glucose monitoring. If there was any doubt about the value of that potential market, that's a pretty clear indicator the market is significant.

The time is right to get in to $sens. Thinking it will be an easy double. nice call flow in the 7/21 5c This is a turn around story. They are open to do procedures. Fully funded from two offerings huge insurance coverage. 180 day sensor approval soon which is already approved in Europe. Soros fund has large amount of warrants and lots of big bio institutions are in this.

Lynas (LYSCF) is up 7% in the ASX right now. This move will surely be mirrored in the US and other markets by market close tomorrow. If you want to buy into this stock, set a limit order in the morning. Prices tend to lag on this thinly traded stock.

Don’t know what is sparking this move today.
There's a few stories in the US press today about battery demand in China boosting raw material prices. Maybe that's it.

People keep posting about this stock, but it's showing a $50 foreign settlement fee for me on Fidelity. Guess I should thank them for keeping me from even looking into yet another stock.