Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What a difference a few weeks makes. Pretty much every thing mentioned here was going great initially and is deeply underwater now after the last few weeks. ABML, NNDM, ONTF, pretty much any symbol we've talked about. Many down 40-50% off their highs (like NNDM).

We're all brilliant riding the bull, all idiots when the bear arrives.

Depends when you bought. My growth stock basket of about 18 stocks is still up 310% from initial purchases. The only ones that are significantly negative for me are ONTF and QDEL. They'll recover. May take a year or two. That's why I don't buy stocks for the short or medium term. If crap happens lie this pullback, I can feel good HODL.

And then I have other investments that generate income.

Depends when you bought. My growth stock basket of about 18 stocks is still up 310% from initial purchases. The only ones that are significantly negative for me are ONTF and QDEL. They'll recover. May take a year or two. That's why I don't buy stocks for the short or medium term. If crap happens lie this pullback, I can feel good HODL.

Good plan.

What sort of an income generating strategy do you use ?

Last edited:

I didn't get in as early. And/or I bought more over time as money came available so my average price point increased. Pretty much negative 20-40% across the board at this point. Except SENS, which I guess I got in early enough that it's still pretty positive overall.

Yea, HODL, though needing 50-75% increases from today's price to get back to even probably means a very long HODL. Though, I thought that about some things back in March 2020... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And what stock is green today? That's right, STLD. Thanks @Discoducky! I bought 2k shares in a few transactions over time, and up almost 20% since.

You've got 2X what I have and I'm ready to get more. I'm excited about them supplying the steel for Cybertruck and hopefully steel to SpaceX as well.

Here's what I'm seeing for dividend prediction on 1K shares for the next year:

stld dividend.png

Good plan.

What sort of an income generating strategy do you use ?

So I'm a bit unusual in my asset allocation in that I'm a lot more conservative than most people on these forums. So, not counting things like houses and other assets, my investable money is split, currently, 37% into munis, 25% into dividend paying stocks, 26% into growth stocks and 2% in private companies. And the growth stock allocation is only as big as that because the basket is up 310%!

For dividend paying stocks, there's no magic. Just do a screen for stocks paying greater than 3% and pick the ones you like. About 20% of the dividend paying stocks, I have in four BDC companies (ARCC, ORCC, FSK and GBDC) which have really high yields.

For growth stocks, you really have to buy them at the right time. I bought some in the wake of 2008, and I bought a bunch more last year. Neither time did I time the bottom, but I got close enough. Going forward in this environment, it is much tougher to find good long term growth prospects that haven't been bid to the moon. That's why I love companies like GP which haven't been bid to the moon, yet. Basically, you have to find unloved stocks, diamonds in the rough. That's a lot of searching and due diligence.

I've got some munis that are likely going to get called away this year and I'll have to figure out what to re-invest in. Given that inflation is a possibility (this time for real :)), I am loath to buy more munis right now. So that means high yield stocks, more BDCs (I've got enough concentration there), or REITs, or something else.

Any thoughts RE: earnings for SENS coming up tomorrow?
I doubt there's much to expect in terms of good numbers. Nothing has changed for them, the quarter being reported would still have been heavily dampened by Covid with few patients going in for the sensor transplants. Likely to be the same story on the next ER after this one as well.

Some good PR likely, new patent approved, 180 day sensor approval expected soon, but that's all in the future with no set tangible future earnings known yet.

Yea, I was thinking about it from the perspective of how much, if any, we should expect it to drop. I’m sure they will report a loss, so given how it has been getting dragged down lately, I wonder if we can be looking at a further exodus or if it’s already priced in.

What a difference a few weeks makes. Pretty much every thing mentioned here was going great initially and is deeply underwater now after the last few weeks. ABML, NNDM, ONTF, pretty much any symbol we've talked about. Many down 40-50% off their highs (like NNDM).

We're all brilliant riding the bull, all idiots when the bear arrives.

No kidding, same here. The active portion of my portfolio was up 150% YTD a month ago and it "only" up about 80% now. Which is still great big picture but sucks recently. The drop has been mostly driven by the free-fall of ABML, SENS, NNDM, Ethereum, the CCIV warrants I am still holding, and my two ARK funds from their peaks. It isn't that I don't still like those stocks long term, but it seems like they all got their 2024 valuations in the beginning of 2021 and now there is no real catalyst for growth for a while. This last week has been painful, watching those stock drop 5% per day and seeing all those "unrealized gains" disappear has me in a sour mood. Now I don't want to sell them because they've dropped so much but I don't really know how to value them properly either.

My only saving grace was that I sold half of everything during the peak of the euphoria and moved it back into my target fund because I am too cheap to not take guaranteed profits.

SPAC Bosses Flip to More Aggressive Terms as Buyer Mania Builds
2021-03-03 18:53:58.253 GMT

By Ben Scent, Crystal Tse and Donal Griffin
(Bloomberg) -- SPAC bosses from billionaire SoftBank Group Corp. founder Masayoshi Son to Silicon Valley investor Vinod Khosla are starting to push tougher deal terms as the craze for blank-check companies builds.
This week, at least three special purpose acquisition companies preparing U.S. listings cut out a sweetener usually offered to investors. The change removes a popular way for punters to boost their holdings in a SPAC, showing how the most well-known issuers have gained the power to set their own agendas even as they compete for attention with hundreds of other deals.
The SoftBank Vision Fund, Huffington Post co-founder Ken Lerer and tech investor Vector Capital all modified the terms of their latest SPACs to cut out warrants in filings this week.
SPACs traditionally offer units at $10 apiece that include one share and a fraction of a warrant, giving holders the right to buy another share for $11.50. They’ve now decided to sell stock without warrants attached, reducing the risk of future dilution.
While the frequency of such changes is increasing lately, they aren’t the first to try out more aggressive terms. Dragoneer Investment Group was an early adopter of the structure with the San Francisco-based firm’s second SPAC, raised in November, and also eschewed warrants for its third vehicle,
announced this week. Khosla, the storied co-founder of Sun Microsystems Inc., has gone without warrants for all four of the SPACs his venture capital firm announced since last month. Software-focused buyout firm Thoma Bravo, growth investor Altimeter Capital and Hong Kong billionaire Richard Li have also used the structure.
So far, IPO investors are embracing deals from seasoned SPAC sponsors even without the extra bonus of warrants. And the real benefits for the blank check companies could come when they court their merger targets. Cutting out warrants allows a target company’s owners to hold a greater percentage of stock in the combined entity. At a time when the hottest companies are attracting interest from dozens of SPACs at once, this added incentive could prove to be the dealbreaker.

No kidding, same here. The active portion of my portfolio was up 150% YTD a month ago and it "only" up about 80% now. Which is still great big picture but sucks recently.
I had a significant portion of money free up in February and so I increased my positions in most of those things (SENS, ABML, etc) during that time frame, which of course means most of my positions were purchases near what we can now see is a local peak. I'm looking at YTD losses of about 30% now. My investing life story in a nutshell, by the time I get money to really add in, it ends up being at a peak. I make money eventually, but my lifetime returns are pretty poor compared to someone that was able to dollar cost average on the way up and down.

I suppose, rather than buying when money comes available, I should plan to invest 5% a week over a period of time or something, I'd have come out far ahead. Every time I think about that, I tell myself no, that putting money in as soon as you can is generally the best long term approach, but I suspect that adage works best for regular increments. My (non-401k) portfolio has generally come from one time events like a bonus, a grandmother dying, a layoff package, etc. Dumping it all in when I get it has not worked out well.

More on topic, with SENS. With it cratering on the way into the earnings report (down 50%), there's more chance for good news to be received well. Bad sentiment can't seem to get much worse on what's basically been zero, or positive, information lately. If there's something good to latch onto in the ER, could bounce. I don't think a poor ER can make the slide much worse that it would already be. Hard to know where the bottom is on a stock that was under a $1 at the start of the year.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: kelly
what happened to ACTC? Poor Chamath
Presumably, the same thing that crushed a lot of stocks today: SENS, ABML, NNDM, ONTF, HIMS, ALPP and probably lots more that didn't happen to cross my eye today.

What that thing was? No idea, generally terrible market day with some sectors feeling a magnified effect. My only green stocks today (and yesterday) are the stalwart dividend stocks (T, PDI)

The SENS earnings report was, more or less as predicted, a disaster of loss and reduced revenue. It's bouncing around after hours, I'd expect it to dive overall and stay depressed until they finally can start selling again. It's all about forward looking post-covid opportunities to actually write and fill orders for their sensor, plus a new marketing by their new partner Ascensia.

This thread is "other" tech stocks so I apologise in advance for breaking protocol.

I don't see why anyone here would consider buying anything but TSLA right now (maybe some SQ). The downside on Tesla is maybe 500 and an upside path already cut to 900. That's nearly a 50% upside that won't even take much work. All these "other" stocks named in this thread, ABML, SENS, etc could easily prove to be nothing more than dotcom bubble stocks that won't even exist in a year.

I've enjoyed and profited from trading a lot of the names here but right now, at these prices, it's nothing but TSLA for me. Margin if we get into the low fives.

The SENS earnings report was, more or less as predicted, a disaster of loss and reduced revenue. It's bouncing around after hours, I'd expect it to dive overall and stay depressed until they finally can start selling again. It's all about forward looking post-covid opportunities to actually write and fill orders for their sensor, plus a new marketing by their new partner Ascensia.

Agreed. I bought them for the long term, was lucky enough to sell covered calls at outrageous strikes/premiums when it was riding high, so my cost basis is very low. Planning to roll some of the nearer-term calls if tomorrow is rocky as expected, and I'll have more than paid for my long position. I'm still bullish on them but it might take some time. Keys will be a 360 day product and iCGM partnership/acquisition.

All these "other" stocks named in this thread, ABML, SENS, etc could easily prove to be nothing more than dotcom bubble stocks that won't even exist in a year.

There's been a lot of other stocks that have been mentioned here that are still above water for me and long term holds. If you have dry powder and want to invest in growth stocks, there will be a great buying opportunity soon (I'd wait for a rebound before buying, and that goes for TSLA as well).

Someone asked about income generating investments. COR is a "digital REIT" that operates THE ISP interconnection data center for the entire west coast at 1 Wilshire in Los Angeles. Yields 4.52% right now. That yield is ultra safe. Stock is on sale now too.