Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ARKK sold Coinbase yesterday.

This is a surprise to me. COIN is one of the few I see as a value. Great revenue and profit growth. Low PE, low debt. Promising player in a fledgling market. This stock ticks my boxes. It also doesn't fit the classic ARK pattern of selling equities that have enjoyed a runup, so they can rotate into fresher opportunities. They are probably selling at a loss.

Am I missing something with this stock?

This is a surprise to me. COIN is one of the few I see as a value. Great revenue and profit growth. Low PE, low debt. Promising player in a fledgling market. This stock ticks my boxes. It also doesn't fit the classic ARK pattern of selling equities that have enjoyed a runup, so they can rotate into fresher opportunities. They are probably selling at a loss.

Coinbase is their 4 largest holding. They may want to cap at 5% to allow other purchases etc.

ESS has more than doubled today - now ticker GWH. Thanks for whoever's idea on this thread it was. $4Bn market cap so not cheap now.

Wish I had invested more...

I may have suggested it. I definitely jumped on it, I was looking for this kind of stock since I heard about the coming lower density, super cheap batteries for stationary storage. When these batteries are available at scale, it will erase one of the biggest negatives about solar and wind.

It will also reduce the need for peaking units, which are no fossil fuel plants using the worst quality fuel (often coal).

According to my stock news feed Bill Gates is one of the people backing ESS. That's probably helped with the IPO.

I hope it stays up and doesn't come crashing down like The Metals Company did. I wish I had bought more too. I thought about it just before the SPAC merger, but didn't.

China has already banned crypto and some other countries have been considering it, or making it more difficult to own. If that happens, the crypto market may deflate. It's possible ARKK got some insider information about coming regulation of crypto and decided to sell Coinbase to get out while the getting it good.

I haven't followed ARK too closely, but from the links I found searching the story, it looks like ARK changes up their holdings fairly frequently.

Reactions: Featsbeyond50
Has anyone of you heard of Exro? They claimed to invent a revolutionary "Coil driver" which remove the need for inverters in EVs.

This is a Canadian startup that can revolutionize EV motors in a good way.

You can read more here: duediligence - ExroTechnologies

Any thoughts?
Admittedly I didn't look long, but their presentation had what appear to factual errors and I don't see anything Tesla isn't already doing or has moved on from (OG Roadster had combined charger and drive electronics).

As I understand it, they remove the need for two motors (one optimized for high-speed cruising and the other for torque) so that's a cost-savings measure. Also more cost savings due to less material and simplified charging...

@mongo: can you point out which factual errors did you find?

As I understand it, they remove the need for two motors (one optimized for high-speed cruising and the other for torque) so that's a cost-savings measure. Also more cost savings due to less material and simplified charging...

@mongo: can you point out which factual errors did you find?
Oh, when they call put series vs parallel, they are dynamically reconfiguring the windings? That's a bunch of added parts and complexity when there are other single mode solutions.
There is no requirement for two motors now. Semi runs two closely spaced drive ratios to smooth the power band, but nowhere near a 2:1 or such.

Reactions: matejpi
Oh, when they call put series vs parallel, they are dynamically reconfiguring the windings? That's a bunch of added parts and complexity when there are other single mode solutions.
There is no requirement for two motors now. Semi runs two closely spaced drive ratios to smooth the power band, but nowhere near a 2:1 or such.

Tesla has built single motor versions of the Model S and 3. One of the selling points for dual motor when they introduced it in 2014 was increased efficiency and range. Mostly because of improved regen I believe. The dual motor Teslas mostly have the same motor front and rear. The only exception being the performance S/X.

I believe most EVs out there from the legacy car makers are single motor. Only the more performance cars opt for more than one.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Tesla has built single motor versions of the Model S and 3. One of the selling points for dual motor when they introduced it in 2014 was increased efficiency and range. Mostly because of improved regen I believe. The dual motor Teslas mostly have the same motor front and rear. The only exception being the performance S/X.

I believe most EVs out there from the legacy car makers are single motor. Only the more performance cars opt for more than one.

The Dual Motor Teslas most certainly DO NOT have the same motor front and rear.

One is an induced magnet motor, one is a permanent magnet motor.

If you watch the Sandy Munro teardowns of the 3 and the Y it is also very clear from those that they motors are very different in the front in rear.

Following JB's recent comments regarding potential for Nickel shortages I have doubled down on Vale. World's largest Ni miner with current pe ratio of 4.5 and forward pe of 3.74. Also looking to double down on Bitcoin and get into BYD following positive review of the Dolphin.

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
The Dual Motor Teslas most certainly DO NOT have the same motor front and rear.

One is an induced magnet motor, one is a permanent magnet motor.

If you watch the Sandy Munro teardowns of the 3 and the Y it is also very clear from those that they motors are very different in the front in rear.

Your right. My bad.

Following JB's recent comments regarding potential for Nickel shortages I have doubled down on Vale. World's largest Ni miner with current pe ratio of 4.5 and forward pe of 3.74. Also looking to double down on Bitcoin and get into BYD following positive review of the Dolphin.

I haven't been able to figure out why Vale is down. It shouldn't be, though mining stocks in general tend to be very volatile.

Vale also has the advantage of a very good dividend. It's the second highest yield in my portfolio. I've been thinking about doubling down on Vale too.

It would be political suicide if the Democrats can't get the infrastructure bill passed. If it does pass Vale and other infrastructure stocks will probably go up sharply.

TomTom (TOM2 : TOMTOM (TOM2.AS) Stock Price, News, Quote & History - Yahoo Finance) is around all time lows after chains of bad news, including dropping revenue and chip shortages.

Anyone see this stock picking itself up again out of the gutter? Current SP $6,1, was at $9,6 beginning of this year, around $20 four years ago and peaked around $80 a long long time ago.

Falling knife or decent future bet? (to HODL for years of course)

It's hard to say. Navigation systems are getting more sophisticated and there is a growing demand for good navigation data. However, whether companies are going to use TomTom or something else is unknown to me. If they land a big contract with a big automaker, that could send the stock up, but if they don't find any large partners the stock may just wallow in never never land.

Blackberry (BB) looked dead a couple of years ago and it became a meme stock for a hot second this summer. But they also signed some contracts with some car companies to provide services, so they have some underlying pluses. I don't know what kind of partnerships TomTom has or what might be pending.

Reactions: Buckminster
Your right. My bad.

I haven't been able to figure out why Vale is down. It shouldn't be, though mining stocks in general tend to be very volatile.

Vale also has the advantage of a very good dividend. It's the second highest yield in my portfolio. I've been thinking about doubling down on Vale too.

It would be political suicide if the Democrats can't get the infrastructure bill passed. If it does pass Vale and other infrastructure stocks will probably go up sharply.
Am I seeing this right? Dividend is 18%?

Looks as if Vale has had a rather large number of recent problems: conveyor belt fire, 2 dam failures, trapped miners, and operations halted for non-compliance.
Just scroll through the recent news feed. I took it as a buying opportunity, assuming it's some bad luck and hopefully not an indication of total incompetence.