Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I will need to keep searching. While the index exists, there seem to be no products that track the index. My broker told me there is nothing they have in store and even Ameritrade seems to be just having a chart of the index and no products to invest in (I don't have an account with them though). Thanks again and if anybody else has any ideas, please share them - thanks!

I do have a TDAmeritrade account and tried to place an order for the symbols $FFIUS and FFIUS. I can not place a trade for them even though I can also get a chart to come up.:frown:

I don't like it, Netflix, they have already penetrated a large part of the NA market, this quote is from the 22. of July this year

At that point they had just reached 50 million subs, so I think 500 mil is being extremely optimistic, the Asian market might be very tricky to penetrate. They are currently pretty expensive at 4x this years revenue, so they would need a fair amount of user growth to justify this valuation, probably a hike in subscription price too, and the competition is starting to heat up as I understand it with HBO just launching their streaming service a month or so ago.

HBO launching an independent GO is good news for NFLX, not bad. Currently the typical consumer that hasn't cut the cord would hesitate to add NFLX seperately. NFLX is competing with Cable for most customers. But there may come an inflexion point where NFLX+HBO GO+??? > Cable, and people will cut the cable for the basket of streaming services.

No position in NFLX but I am not worried about their future.

- - - Updated - - -

I mean absolutely no offense to anyone, but I think GoPro is a "dot-com" like joke of a company that wouldn't exist without the vicissitudes of the Fed's QE. It could be near worthless in a year or so, unless they get a lucky exit. I see a one-trick company making a consumer electronics item in a crowded space that is easily copied with commodity tech in an overly saturated market. It's a business school 101 "Failure Waiting to Happen," imo.

I totally agree. I have never understood GoPro. You are indeed tempting me to look at leap puts... GoPro puts are also a triple-A investment if you felt we were in for a macro downturn. GoPro will lead the way.

HBO launching an independent GO is good news for NFLX, not bad. Currently the typical consumer that hasn't cut the cord would hesitate to add NFLX seperately. NFLX is competing with Cable for most customers. But there may come an inflexion point where NFLX+HBO GO+??? > Cable, and people will cut the cable for the basket of streaming services.
I'm already there. When I moved house, I investigated all avenues for TV service, and concluded the cheapest option was 57 USD/month. On the other hand, the three most relevant streaming services add up to 39 USD/month. These three streaming services would cover our needs better than the cheap cable package, and didn't involve a 750 USD startup cost. I haven't even registered for the other two yet, I'm only using Netflix, because there are only so many hours in a day. But if I get bored, access is a few clicks away.

This is today. If we assume Netflix continues to develop the concept, adding media, and maybe increasing the price while investing that revenue back into the business, I think we are looking at a very attractive concept a few years down the line.

And I've been a customer of HBO. I didn't like it, as it's too narrowly focused on their own media. And they're still using the antiquated method of releasing one and one episode. I intend on paying for a month whenever they finish a season of Game of Thrones, watch the season and then cancelling the subscription. But the last time I did that I got a free trial month, so my strategy of paying may have a flaw. :p

I think the streaming services will redefine the entertainment sector in ways we can't even imagine now. One example - it will be interesting to see how Binge watching as a phenomenon will reshape the industry. Maybe it is the end of cliffhangers at the end of episodes? Maybe "episodes" is in itself an outdated concept, to be replaced by "chapters"?

No position in NFLX but I am not worried about their future.
I went ahead and bought some stock. I'm comfortable with that.

GoPro just announced a secondary offering a few days ago of $800M, of which just $100M will go to the company and the rest being shares sold from existing shareholders who are currently in a lockup period untill the 23. of Dec. How long does it usually take between the announcement of a secondary offering and for it to happen? How does a secondary offering work exactly, does a bank find large investors to sell to for perhaps a small discount, like in an IPO?

Not sure if anyone else still follow Bitcoin on here but I think it would be a good time to get in before the ETFs go public.
COIN is the symbol on the nasdaq one that should be out in the next few months:
Understanding The Proposed Bitcoin ETF: 5 Key Questions - NASDAQ.com

This presentation is a very interesting take on Bitcoin and it's future:
Money Is Broken; Its Future Is Not

How do you see Bitcoin solve the volatility issue without a central bank like institution that steers the currency with the help of big reserves?

How do you see Bitcoin solve the volatility issue without a central bank like institution that steers the currency with the help of big reserves?

Central banks could have a reserve of Bitcoin they use to be a market maker of sorts in volatile times, but economies will always have volatile times, even in the days of bartering...what you could normally barter one goat for is probably much less than in a time of famine...the environment around us will always contribute to volatility of what we value in our life.

GoPro just announced the pricing of the secondary being $75, not sure if this is the only news but the stock is down almost 5% to $75 in PM after dropping 6% yesterday, luckily I picked up a few puts Tuesday but not much given the insane premiums. I really think this stock is being manipulated, it's an obvious target given the low float, and how convenient that the stock saw a large runup just prior to the secondary on no news but the CEO selling out. They might not be able to keep the stock up with the float expanding 50%, I think it will be hard to find buyers for the secondary, or are they already in place now the pricing seems settled? Not that experienced on the process. If buyers aren't found for the secondary and the SP goes below $75 I guess they will have to lower the price? Might see some serious slippage here as support might be hard to find.

Edit: If you own the stock or are contemplating a short (fee rate for shorting and premiums on bearish options are insane though), you might find this discussion interesting where I explain my bearish thesis.
GoPro's shelf registration + secondary offering actually sounds like good news for the stock. $GPRO : wallstreetbets (I'm not OP)

Last edited:
Lending Club is about to IPO. It looks like it won't happen before Dec 9, but it will be in Dec. So... next week probably.

It looks like December 10 may be the IPO day. The share price range has been set at $10-12. Using $11, the market cap would be around $4 billion, which is similar to its last round of financing in April. They are doing the roadshow to gauge demand and so the $10-12 could still go higher like BABA did leading up to the IPO. My broker at Sharespost (where I bought my LC shares 6 months ago) said that quite often when actual trading begins for these types of big-name IPOs (like TWTR, BABA, GPRO, etc.), the share price will likely be significantly higher than what the final initial price is set at - so maybe $13-15 when it starts...but who knows!

- - - Updated - - -

Are they offering you as a user/lender shares in the IPO? Do you know who is underwriting?
I am a "lender" and wasn't offered shares as was another friend of mine. The only person I know who is a "lender" and was offered shares thinks it is because he is with Fidelity. He hasn't been told how many shares he is able to get yet.

I am a lender. I also specifically bugged them about participating. A LC rep had reached out to me for some reason once and I had his contact info. That may have been the difference. It might also be a "qualified investor" situation where you have to be on record as being >$1M. I probably was since I had earlier bugged them about participating in their mutual funds, for which you had to be a qualified investor.

Still at just 350 shares its not like a Rockefeller is necessary.

I am a lender. I also specifically bugged them about participating. A LC rep had reached out to me for some reason once and I had his contact info. That may have been the difference. It might also be a "qualified investor" situation where you have to be on record as being >$1M. I probably was since I had earlier bugged them about participating in their mutual funds, for which you had to be a qualified investor.

Still at just 350 shares its not like a Rockefeller is necessary.

I don't think qualified investor applies as I am considered that and wasn't offered shares. Also, the amount of money invested as a lender that my friend and I who were not offered shares was in the same range as my friend who was offered shares (the amount that the person who was offered shares was in between our 2 amounts) so that doesn't seem to be a criterion either. The only thing we can determine is that LC and Fidelity are working together and that is why he was offered shares.

I don't think qualified investor applies as I am considered that and wasn't offered shares. Also, the amount of money invested as a lender that my friend and I who were not offered shares was in the same range as my friend who was offered shares (the amount that the person who was offered shares was in between our 2 amounts) so that doesn't seem to be a criterion either. The only thing we can determine is that LC and Fidelity are working together and that is why he was offered shares.

I was told to open a Fidelity account quickly to be considered, which I did at their prompting. Sorry I can't help figure out the criteria.

Lending Club is about to IPO. It looks like it won't happen before Dec 9, but it will be in Dec. So... next week probably.

I play poker with a guy who works at Lending Club and has some extra allocation that he can't exercise personally. He is willing to share with me as a "Friends and Family" deal.

Sounds like I would be able to get shares at the IPO price this way.

It looks like December 10 may be the IPO day. The share price range has been set at $10-12. Using $11, the market cap would be around $4 billion, which is similar to its last round of financing in April. They are doing the roadshow to gauge demand and so the $10-12 could still go higher like BABA did leading up to the IPO. My broker at Sharespost (where I bought my LC shares 6 months ago) said that quite often when actual trading begins for these types of big-name IPOs (like TWTR, BABA, GPRO, etc.), the share price will likely be significantly higher than what the final initial price is set at - so maybe $13-15 when it starts...but who knows!

- - - Updated - - -

I am a "lender" and wasn't offered shares as was another friend of mine. The only person I know who is a "lender" and was offered shares thinks it is because he is with Fidelity. He hasn't been told how many shares he is able to get yet.

Looks like the IPO will be December 11 (Thursday). The share price range has been increased to $12-14 but it will likely start trading at the higher end of that range or even higher. I'm glad I got in when I did (6 months ago).

Price for the Lending Club (LC) IPO now set at $15. It could end up much higher by the end of tomorrow too!

Congrats guys on getting in pre-IPO. LC looked like a good play last time I researched it. Of course, I certainly would not want my company debuting on the exchanges in this kind of market, but oh well. Hope it works out well.