Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Percent is Your Tesla Charged to While at Home?

What Percent is Your Tesla Charged to While at Home on a Regular Basis?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess I don't understand the problem---I plug in when I get home but the charging is automatically at night and complete by 6am (end of my low cost electricity period).

If you have a time of use electricity plan (which can be beneficial with EVs), later charging is better as well.
I do plug in when I get home and have it set to charge overnight. My wife has an ICE car. My “problem” is that my wife has expressed an interest in driving my car but always walks past my car to hers rather than unplugging. She took the car out one night with friends and i went to sleep. She forgot to plug in and I was hosed the next morning because I had a longer than usual trip planned. She comes home hours later than I do from work and I can easily recharge before she gets home giving me plenty of charge even if she does take my car. I’m trying to make EV ownership as much like ICE for my wife.

Thanks to all for your insights

I drive 80km every day. SOC 70%-50%. Actual odometer after 4 years and a half 130.000km/80.778mi and 490km/304mi of range. Model 3 LR RWD May 2019.

Maybe 10 times per year I charge up to 90% and another 10-20 times up to 80%. No more tan 5 times the SOC has been lower than 5%, I try to arrive between 10-20% to destination.

Supercharging 10-15.000km/6500-9500mi. Usually charging at home 3-4kW.

Personally, I have mine set up to charge back to 50% at night using the off-peak hours feature, even though I have a flat rate plan. I feel there are several benefits to delaying charging until night:
  1. Keeps the car at lower SOC for longer, which is slightly better for calendar aging, although it probably won’t make a noticeable difference compared to my already low limit of 50%.
  2. It allows the car to sleep for a while at a random lower SOC, which I feel is better for BMS calibration. If the car only ever gets to sleep at your charge limit, I think the BMS calibration will be worse.
  3. I live in a climate where it’s hot in my garage during summer, and charging at night means charging at a slightly cooler temperature (maybe 80F / 27C instead of 85-90F / 29-32C). Not totally sure if this helps, but seems like it would, and charging my car heats up my garage even more.

Right, except the experts have all 100% agreed that 53% is soooooooooooo much better than 52%.........I mean, do what yo want to but.........
I used to do 52ish percent, because the SoC does fluctuate a bit esp if the temp drops, and I wanted to stay in the Tesla recommended zone as shown on the charging graph.

Now that I have learned Tesla recommends packs out of cars and in storage can be safely stored as low as 15%, I set to 50. I'd do 30% if I could without interrupting the charge which seems stressful.

My M3 is currently giving a reported range of 416 km. Based on my quick online search that sounds like a 5% loss.

My charging philosophy is charge it once a week to 100% and set it back to 50% during the week and the charge it back to 100% once it gets down below that level.

I haven't been stressing much over range loss.

It doesn't seem to make much difference to range at 100% whether I charge 100% everyday though it does seem to degrade 1 km per month.

@AAKEE , your thoughts?

This is what he was talking about earlier with lithium plating eventually leading to short circuiting from lots of supercharger use. For most people, even if they supercharge exclusively, they will do it once or twice a week, and from something like 10%-80%. So their average SOC will be low and the lithium plating won't happen very quickly. For someone who drives for Uber and SuC 2 or 2x per day, eventually the lithium plating can lead to a sudden short circuit in one or more batteries, which affects the entire pack.

Reactions: AAKEE
This is what he was talking about earlier with lithium plating eventually leading to short circuiting from lots of supercharger use. For most people, even if they supercharge exclusively, they will do it once or twice a week, and from something like 10%-80%. So their average SOC will be low and the lithium plating won't happen very quickly. For someone who drives for Uber and SuC 2 or 2x per day, eventually the lithium plating can lead to a sudden short circuit in one or more batteries, which affects the entire pack.
Thanks! :)

Are there any studies done on M3 batteries of Uber drivers? Those who charge daily on a supercharger?

Are there any studies done on M3 batteries of Uber drivers? Those who charge daily on a supercharger?
There are lab studies of Li batteries cycling between low to high SoC using C rates >1 which approximates SC charging rates
which demonstrate higher degradation rate

Google high C rate battery degradation

C = the capacity of the battery charged or discharged in 1 hour. So a 77kWh battery charging at C=1 is being charged at a rate of 77kW per hour
Generally for EV C(discharge) is less than 1 (takes more than 1 hour of highway driving to discharge the battery to zero) but with Supercharging C(charge) can be >1

A 20-80% of a 77kWh battery takes a Supercharger about 40 minutes to add the 60% battery capacity
Initial charging occurs at 250kW. C = 3.2,
By the time SoC 80% is reached the charging rate is 50kW. C=0.65
Average C for charging session if the reduction in charging rate is a straight line between 20-80% is about 1.5-1.7. Likely less as its not a straight line

Included in a supercharging session is the fact that to accommodate high C, the battery temp is raised to 60 degrees C and the 60 degrees appears to be maintained even when SoC approaches 80%. So a hot battery for 1.5 hrs a day every day for 1 year can't be good on the battery

My take home message is supercharge when necessary but understand that SC does reduce battery longevity by an unknown amount as we don't know the exact battery construction. It may be that later Tesla batteries are more resilient in the context of Supercharging.

someone correct this if incorrect pls

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: nicksp