Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

what PSI do you inflate your tires to

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your upper limit should be based on the max pressure of your tires on the sidewall.
If that's well above what the manufacturer recommends, you may make your car unsafe. It reduces the contact patch size which decreases traction. Wet braking seems to be impacted the most. The extra few percent of efficiency aren't worth a less safe car, with a less comfortable ride, and less tire life.

Mine is at 37 and I am loving it. If I am going long distance, will probably bump it to 40. Significant difference in comfort from 42.

See Musk's tweet from 2018:

Ride comfort & aero/road noise already better than CR car, which was early production. Wish we could make the car perfect from day 1, but there’s always room for improvement. Highly recommend dropping tire pressure 10% below max to ~39 psi for comfort. Only affects range by ~2%.
I’d be curious what the load capacity is at 37 or 39 vs 42 psi.

Does anyone have discrepancy when using a secondary tire pressure gauge and comparing the psi against the reading on the app? My car has less than 300 miles on the odo and I see about 3.5 difference when comparing.
Not sure what your altitude is, but TPMS will read increasingly (falsely) lower than a gauge as you gain in altitude. I'm a mile high and my TPMS reads 2-3 PSI lower than several good gauges. I like my tires around 38 PSI (with the gauge), which means 35-36 on TPMS which occasionally activates the low pressure warning.

At high altitude, TPMS should really only be used to assess the tire pressures relative to one another, while gauges will give the more accurate reading. I wish there was a way to adjust the TPMS reading based on altitude. Certainly this could be achieved via software feature/update.

• Informative
Reactions: David99
Does anyone have discrepancy when using a secondary tire pressure gauge and comparing the psi against the reading on the app? My car has less than 300 miles on the odo and I see about 3.5 difference when comparing.
All TPMS should read within 1 PSI of the reading using a quality tire pressure gauge. (I use an analog dial readout Intercomp tire pressure gauge that measures up to 60 PSI.)

If that's well above what the manufacturer recommends, you may make your car unsafe. It reduces the contact patch size which decreases traction. Wet braking seems to be impacted the most. The extra few percent of efficiency aren't worth a less safe car, with a less comfortable ride, and less tire life.

My point was the upper limit should be based on the tire, not a casual question in an internet forum.

The recommended is 42. If you go much higher then less tread is coming into contact with the road. That can be a serious safety issue. 50 psi is not a good idea.

I do 44 because I find that decreases rolling resistance slightly while not compromising braking, handling, or traction much at all.

Is this cold tire pressure or hot (after car has run for at least 30m) ? break it up for me please

Also is it right pressure for winter (east coast winter highway drive)?

If I can add more to the twist - is it recommended for <500 mile new car (I believe new tires need some “break in” time?)

Oh 19” Gemini tires for perspective

Appreciate your inputs. Thanks!

I inflate my replacement tires to the same specs as recommended for my 2022 Model Y long distance. 42 psi… and FYI, I only got 18,500 miles out of my OEM supplied tires. I rotated them 2x during that ownership period. Very sad about the poor performance of the OEM tires.

Could I also ask you if you did alignment during those 18k miles and at what point in terms of miles?
I had Model 3 and OEM lasted only 18k. My second set has lasted close to 30k now! Though nearing its life and due a swap.
Location of drive and style did not change much. With 2nd set I was proactive in getting alignment done about 1–1.5 yr window. Where I am the roads make it so that alignment goes off (hilly/bumpy on slopes) rather quickly and that causes tires to wear out much quicker.

Just trying to share and also know about your alignment experience. When I took in for alignment first time the tech told me the alignment was very off and would have impaveyd the tire tread quite adversely

You should always check the tire pressure when the tires are cold, i.e. when the vehicle has been parked (out of direct sunlight) for at least several hours. Early in the A.M. is usually a good time to check the tire pressure.

The manufacturer's recommended tire pressure is always printed on the sticker on the "B" pillar by the driver's door. For the Tesla Model Y this is 42 PSI. (The Tesla Model Y uses Extra Load (XL) rated tires. XL tires always have a recommended tire pressure of 41 PSI (EU) or 42 PSI (US) to meet the stated load rating for the tire.

The tire's maximum inflation pressure is always molded into the sidewall of the tire. You do not want to inflate the tires to the maximum pressure as the ride would be very harsh and the tires would wear unevenly with excess wear in the center of the tread.

You can safely set the tire pressure to +/- 2 to 4 PSI (5% to 10%) from the recommended pressure with no issue. Underinflation can affect the tire wear (causing the outer edges to wear faster than the center of the tread). Extreme underinflation can affect handling and cause the tire to run hotter than is safe. Extreme underinflation is a leading cause of tire failure. The Tesla Model Y will display a warning if the tire pressure becomes too low.

Last edited:
36 PSI all around on my MYP because 42PSI is a stupidly high pressure to run on road tires and unnecessary.

I've also moved from the stock 255/35/21 / 275/35/21 tires to larger 275/35/21 and 295/35/21 tires which have higher load ratings. These actually have the same load rating at 35psi as the stock tires do at 42psi.

Great win for comfort with no impact on load rating or safety.

36 PSI all around on my MYP because 42PSI is a stupidly high pressure to run on road tires and unnecessary.

I've also moved from the stock 255/35/21 / 275/35/21 tires to larger 275/35/21 and 295/35/21 tires which have higher load ratings. These actually have the same load rating at 35psi as the stock tires do at 42psi.

Great win for comfort with no impact on load rating or safety.
What was the effect of the larger tires on driving efficiency and range?