Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What should I expect from the Tesla Service Center?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also probably expect little to no communication once you leave your car. Service centers are moving towards a no phone, no email, only text when they feel like it. Try calling the SC you will visit. If there is no way to speak to anyone and there is no email address, you're probably in for a bad time. If you think QC is bad, customer service is the next level of hell.

For Example: If they say your car will be done Monday and you want to confirm on the day of so you can arrange transportation/use your expiring Uber credit. There will be no way to do so. You can text, but the chance of response in a timely (sane) matter will be low. If you want answers, use the uber credit and just show up. Showing up is the way to get things done because Tesla is going out of its way to avoid customers and warranty repairs.

It happened to me several times. The last time I got a response 1 hour before closing and I was 30 minutes away + Uber wait. Tesla's communication and customer service are straight-up abysmal. Your service center might be different, but it's only a matter of time....

Fanboys will tell you that by just showing up, you're disrupting them and the company. **** em.

I am from virginia beach, while i did not go to the service center yet, i did have a mobile tech stop by to replace the radio module. Other than having to reschedule twice, the process was pretty smooth. It’s a new service center, so the experience overall may be lacking.

I have an early Model 3 (March 2018). There are exterior panel gaps, there are occasional rattles, there is wind noise, some of the interior panels aren't completely aligned ...
(snip)
Now I don't even notice or care about those things and neither does anyone else.

"I just want to see her smile again. I just want her to know that I don't care about the scars. Now, I see the funny side. Now, I'm always smiling"

sorry, made me think of a movie I once saw.

;)

• Funny
Reactions: SheriffMoose
Also probably expect little to no communication once you leave your car. Service centers are moving towards a no phone, no email, only text when they feel like it. Try calling the SC you will visit. If there is no way to speak to anyone and there is no email address, you're probably in for a bad time. If you think QC is bad, customer service is the next level of hell.

For Example: If they say your car will be done Monday and you want to confirm on the day of so you can arrange transportation/use your expiring Uber credit. There will be no way to do so. You can text, but the chance of response in a timely (sane) matter will be low. If you want answers, use the uber credit and just show up. Showing up is the way to get things done because Tesla is going out of its way to avoid customers and warranty repairs.

It happened to me several times. The last time I got a response 1 hour before closing and I was 30 minutes away + Uber wait. Tesla's communication and customer service are straight-up abysmal. Your service center might be different, but it's only a matter of time....

Fanboys will tell you that by just showing up, you're disrupting them and the company. **** em.
Yea, ultimately proper communication is a part of good customer service, and really I'm not sure I've ever been impressed with any other automotive's service center's customer service. Unfortunately if Tesla's customer service is poor, then its really par for the course with the auto industry. That said, I won't let it slide any different, since I expect better from a disruptive company like Tesla. Anyway, thanks for the input - hopefully my experience will be better, I'm just doing my best not to hold my breath.

The thump while sc is normal afaik.
I'd be very hesitant to called it normal. I believe its been reported fairly heavily, but I want it to be officially a part of my SC request to add to their data in terms of how often its happening. That, and I don't think its really acceptable for it to thump like that. Tesla may not have a solution in place yet, but I think they should ultimately provide a fix once its developed. This would be no different than other auto makers releasing service bulletins and even 'customer satisfaction programs' (the step before recalls) to fix an issue like this.

Ultimately, my concern would be that it could loosen or damage components over time, ontop of the 'fit and finish' nuisance that it is otherwise. And even though its happening on a lot of 3's, that doesn't constitutive normal, rather a widespread issue.

• Disagree
Reactions: qdeathstar
Yea, ultimately proper communication is a part of good customer service, and really I'm not sure I've ever been impressed with any other automotive's service center's customer service. Unfortunately if Tesla's customer service is poor, then its really par for the course with the auto industry. That said, I won't let it slide any different, since I expect better from a disruptive company like Tesla. Anyway, thanks for the input - hopefully my experience will be better, I'm just doing my best not to hold my breath.

I mean every dealer/shop I have dealt with in the past was able to answer the phone at the very least. Many Tesla SC's have 0 communication lines and no voicemail. In my case, it's the worst customer service I've ever dealt with regardless of industry.

Comcast, AT&T, {insert any company}, is a cakewalk compared to Tesla. Try going into the SC and ask for a business card. I bet you won't get one. I've met with the manager of my SC and the regional manager and they "do not give business cards by design". The standard operating procedure is to give little information as possible and hope the customer just lives with the issues because we're all saving the world or something.

Reactions: jfinephilly
Here’s their sweet attempt at fixing a paint chip I had on delivery... I guess the cool part is they’ve hired elementary school kids with a bottle of liquid white out to help out...
5F8D4A0D-2A3B-4294-9D8F-4E156DD0A5EB.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: super20g
That is the lesson they want you to learn... You bring your car in, you risk it coming back worse. And that is a sad sad thing if they are trying to compete with more established manufacturers.

My first 3 they screwed up so bad I had to force them to buy it back. And they promptly told me I wasn't welcome as a Tesla customer in the future. Stand up for your rights - when they royally screw up your car, they tell you to pack sand... 2nd 3 has suffered just about the same fate at the hands of neighboring service center, ran by the same mgmt time I found out. I guess tesla is not for me. Quality is not there for the price point and service is not there to help in my area. Nice features, just not polished enough or supported.

Where are you located?

@m3supra I have heard the same thing. The first Tesla Adviser I met said they don't use business cards on purpose. The second TA I worked with, who was much better than the first guy, had a business card that she gave me. Really, it makes more sense with typical dealerships that you would have more variance in customer service because they're all effectively different companies. However, Tesla owns all of their SCs, so they should be much better at providing some level of consistency, preferably in a good way.

Wow, @TTM3 ....That's the reason I'm thinking I probably won't even ask them to attempt to correct the paint. Honestly that looks like white out (which I've heard is a better color match than their own touch-up paint).

I don’t understand why they think they can sell $100k cars and offer such terrible service. If I had known how utterly lazy Tesla is I would have thought twice about buying a vehicle. They just rely on all of us to help each other out.

I’m personally having some issues with paint match on a bumper that was replaced as a “we owe” on purchase. It’s not enough to make it its own service visit but I’ve submitted a few other items in to remedy and will likely bring it up then.

Word to the wise: wash your car after any paint part replaced.

There's a Technical Service Bulletin about the issue that could shed some light...
OP has a 2020, which already has the updated breathers. A thunk or three while Supercharging is expected as there is a rapid thermal change going on in the pack that causes expansion/contraction of the metal. The breather update calms this down a bit but is primarily meant to solve pack thunking due to elevation changes.

OP has a 2020, which already has the updated breathers. A thunk or three while Supercharging is expected as there is a rapid thermal change going on in the pack that causes expansion/contraction of the metal. The breather update calms this down a bit but is primarily meant to solve pack thunking due to elevation changes.
Is it confirmed as a resolved issue on 2020 models? The SB simply says Model 3 vehicles built after approximately April 22, 2018. I would think it'd be resolved by then, but still. If nothing else, I may ask them to physically verify its got the updated breathers just to be sure - stranger things have happened with Teslas from what I've heard.

Sorry but Volvo, Subaru and Toyota have always been very responsive to me, calling Tesla lacking is an understatement and no where near “par for the course”. Volvo has even taken care of issues after the warranty was over without me even asking them to cover the cost or assist, stating it’s just the right thing to do. I will seriously consider the Polestar once it’s up to the level of a Tesla since I am always worried about what will happen if I have a problem with my Tesla.