Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What the heck...Enhanced AutoPilot does not exist anymore

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Every Model 3 ever built has AuoPilot safety features enabled, no matter what you've bought: Lane Departure Warning, Forward Collision Warning, Side Collision Warning, Side Collision Avoidance, Automatic Emergency Braking.

The previous "Enhanced Autopilot Package" added the following Autopilot convenience features: Traffic Aware Cruise Control, Autosteer, Auto Lane Change, Summon, Autopark, and Navigate on Autopilot.

The previous "Full Self Driving Package" never added any features, because such features are/were not available in the software yet.

The new "Autopilot Package" will now add only Traffic Aware Cruise Control, Autosteer, and Auto Lane Change.

The new "Full Self-Driving Package" will now have Autopark, Summon and Navigate on Autopilot.

The unknown right now is where this leaves current owners:

1. If you did not purchase EAP or FSD, you currently don't have any convenience features and won't get them unless you purchase. Whether you will get previously stated pricing is up in the air.

2. If you purchased both EAP and FSD, you will get all convenience features the software currently has, as well as all new features that come out. If a new AP computer is required, you will probably get that for free.

3. If you purchased EAP but not FSD, this is unknown. You will no doubt keep the Autopark, Summon, and Navigate on Autopilot features. Whether you'll get any additional features is up in the air. Whether you can upgrade to FSD for previously stated pricing is up in the air.

[Pure Speculation]
My prediction is that Tesla is not going to sell a package that's no longer available:

1. If you didn't buy EAP or FSD, you can upgrade, but the feature set will be the new feature packaging. Maybe you'll get special pricing, maybe not.

2. If you bought EAP but not FSD, I'm betting you won't get any surface street features. You'll continue to get refinements to Summon and Nav on AP, but you're not going to get stop light / stop sign recognition or city street driving. If you upgrade, you might get special pricing, maybe not. But if you upgrade, I'll bet you'll get a new AP computer for free if required.
[/Pure Speculation]

• Helpful
Reactions: PoitNarf and Dre78
Oh brother this is all too complicated for me I'll just stick to driving my 2012 S85 signature it still drives just fine at 78000 miles on the clock and I'm still enjoying driving it everyday.

I'll worry about all the autopilot stuff maybe on my replacement Tesla Model S ( well not exactly replacement, Signature VIN number 162 has found its forever home ) I should say my additional Model S :)

I've been slammed at work and just catching up. I can't tell if the EAP I bought for $5K is now the equivalent of AP+FSD, it seems so based on description. When I purchased my car, pre-payment of FSD had been discontinued, so I'm trying to interpret all of this. The added value documented for FSD appears to be things I've had in EAP (Summon, traffic aware, Autopark). Can anyone confirm, sorry just way too many threads now and I'm buried in work.

I've been slammed at work and just catching up. I can't tell if the EAP I bought for $5K is now the equivalent of AP+FSD, it seems so based on description.

It's not.

Legacy EAP owners will still keep what they have (which is currently the stuff they moved to FSD) but not get the added features (other than when they remove the requirement to confirm NoA lane changes).

The extra "coming later this year" stuff only goes to FSD buyers.

I did not realize that before today Autopilot was just considered a safety feature. TACC should be a safety feature but I digress.

Autopilot has never been "just considered a safety feature". There are certain safety features enabled and included for free that utilize the autopilot computer and sensor suite like automatic emergency braking, etc. but those have never been marketed as "Autopilot". Autopilot has generally been defined as the combination of TACC and Autosteer dating back to 2014 when it was first introduced.

"Enhanced Autopilot" added a few additional features - onramp to offramp (now called Navigate on Autopilot), "advanced summon" (which is yet to be delivered), and auto-park.

It seems now we're back to just "Autopilot" again, and back to the original ~$3,000 price for those basic lane/speed keeping features. Everything else has been rolled into FSD.

I get that Tesla's constant changing of things is confusing, but you're pushing a narrative here (to justify thinking you should now be owed TACC and autosteer for free?) that just isn't accurate.

Elon said in a Twitter reply tonight they will figure out the EAP to FSD upgrade path and send a note in a few days.

Every Model 3 ever built has AuoPilot safety features enabled, no matter what you've bought: Lane Departure Warning, Forward Collision Warning, Side Collision Warning, Side Collision Avoidance, Automatic Emergency Braking.

The previous "Enhanced Autopilot Package" added the following Autopilot convenience features: Traffic Aware Cruise Control, Autosteer, Auto Lane Change, Summon, Autopark, and Navigate on Autopilot.

The previous "Full Self Driving Package" never added any features, because such features are/were not available in the software yet.

The new "Autopilot Package" will now add only Traffic Aware Cruise Control, Autosteer, and Auto Lane Change.

The new "Full Self-Driving Package" will now have Autopark, Summon and Navigate on Autopilot.

The unknown right now is where this leaves current owners:

1. If you did not purchase EAP or FSD, you currently don't have any convenience features and won't get them unless you purchase. Whether you will get previously stated pricing is up in the air.

2. If you purchased both EAP and FSD, you will get all convenience features the software currently has, as well as all new features that come out. If a new AP computer is required, you will probably get that for free.

3. If you purchased EAP but not FSD, this is unknown. You will no doubt keep the Autopark, Summon, and Navigate on Autopilot features. Whether you'll get any additional features is up in the air. Whether you can upgrade to FSD for previously stated pricing is up in the air.

[Pure Speculation]
My prediction is that Tesla is not going to sell a package that's no longer available:

1. If you didn't buy EAP or FSD, you can upgrade, but the feature set will be the new feature packaging. Maybe you'll get special pricing, maybe not.

2. If you bought EAP but not FSD, I'm betting you won't get any surface street features. You'll continue to get refinements to Summon and Nav on AP, but you're not going to get stop light / stop sign recognition or city street driving. If you upgrade, you might get special pricing, maybe not. But if you upgrade, I'll bet you'll get a new AP computer for free if required.
[/Pure Speculation]

Reactions: JBT66 and Dre78
Aforementioned Tweets.

Elon Musk on Twitter
I have the same question. There’d be no way they’d take away my navigate on autopilot. Maybe future EAP cars will not have it, but ours is grandfathered in? Who knows
Everyone who bought Enhanced Autopilot will get Navigate on Autopilot on highways, advanced summon & autopark

Elon Musk on Twitter
What about honoring the post-purchase upgrade to FSD for $5k on AP2/2.5 cars?
I think we should do something here. Will talk with team & send out a note in next few days.

...though @elonmusk does tend to Tweet one thing then Tesla does something a bit different. :/

It’s stranger. The option to buy EAP isn’t even showing up anymore. I don’t have EAP, so I went to my account to see how much it would be. The only thing that was offered was FSD which (it said) requires EAP.
I’m hoping this is all just broken until Tesla has it all sorted out

Autopilot has never been "just considered a safety feature". There are certain safety features enabled and included for free that utilize the autopilot computer and sensor suite like automatic emergency braking, etc. but those have never been marketed as "Autopilot". Autopilot has generally been defined as the combination of TACC and Autosteer dating back to 2014 when it was first introduced.

"Enhanced Autopilot" added a few additional features - onramp to offramp (now called Navigate on Autopilot), "advanced summon" (which is yet to be delivered), and auto-park.

It seems now we're back to just "Autopilot" again, and back to the original ~$3,000 price for those basic lane/speed keeping features. Everything else has been rolled into FSD.

I get that Tesla's constant changing of things is confusing, but you're pushing a narrative here (to justify thinking you should now be owed TACC and autosteer for free?) that just isn't accurate.

All model 3s come standard with Autopilot "safety" features and Tesla and Elon referred to this as just Autopilot in past tweets, the manual etc.. When they took away EAP today and renamed a new package Autopilot I thought it may be the same Autopilot that came standard prior to today. I do not feel I am owed anything it was just a I wonder if question. That said TACC in my opinion as well as many others feel it is a safety feature. I wish they allow us to buy certain pieces of the new Autopilot package. I'd pay $1000 for just TACC.

TBH, I remembered quite a few posts where people complained that they only wanted certain features of EAP, namely only TACC and less so Autosteer. This seems like this is Tesla's response to those criticisms.
So true. I'm one of them and like the price tag of $4,000 (for upgrade after delivery) rather than the $7,000 upgrade of what once was EAP. In hindsight I probably should have just gone for the $5,000 EAP upgrade upon ordering but couldn't justify the cost at the time. Live and learn.

If we did not buy EAP our vehicles came with Autopilot. Does that mean those of us that did not buy EAP will now get the benefit of new Autopilot?

The way I understand it.....
If you bought a Model 3 without paying $5K for EAP or adding later for $6K or $7K, you now have the option to add TACC+Autosteer for $4K.
So you lose the N-on-A, Summon and Autopark components of EAP in exchange for a $2K price reduction.

Some people have been complaining about the $5K price for EAP and wanted a cheaper option with TACC. Tesla partially responded to this with a less expensive option with TACC+Autosteer.

Emotionally, I think people paying $37K are more likely to cough up $3K for TACC+Autosteer than $5K for EAP, so its probably a good idea.