Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What the Heck is up with Autopilot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've encountered that a few times. I saw it once on a bright, sunny day when a hard, straight shadow (from an overpass) crossed the road. I think the camera identified the straight shadow as a potential obstruction and began slowing out of caution.

The other time I encountered it was on a cloudy day--it wasn't a strong slowdown--more of a random drop in about 5 mph, then it increased again. Whole episode lasted less than 5 seconds. Haven't encountered it again on the same road since. But in that instance, there was a car to my right.

It could be that if it senses the adjacent car approaching the side of the S above some threshold, it begins slowing to try to avoid a collision. Just a guess.

Interesting point regarding the sun and shadows. I've noticed that sometimes the car will give me an obstruction warning as I am backing out of my garage (after I've opened the garage door). When I put the car in reverse it tells me there is something blocking the back of the car and the only thing I can see the the morning sun and shadow cast across the threshold of the garage. Garage faces east. When I start driving the obstruction warning gradually goes away.

Also I emailed Tesla service, and they responded the next day. I was just telling them of some Autosteer issues, no immediate fix needed. So please appraise them of any problems you may have. They do seem to be reading these emails.

Interesting point regarding the sun and shadows. I've noticed that sometimes the car will give me an obstruction warning as I am backing out of my garage (after I've opened the garage door). When I put the car in reverse it tells me there is something blocking the back of the car and the only thing I can see the the morning sun and shadow cast across the threshold of the garage. Garage faces east. When I start driving the obstruction warning gradually goes away.
Intriguing. I thought the rear camera is only for viewing not connected to AP in anyway. So how would shadow be interpreted as obstruction?

I drove 2k miles in the past 6 days, including three days stuck in rural PA due to winter storm Jonas. On the way back last night, I thought my Tesla finally decided to start getting me back for all the insane mode pulls because several times when we would pass a car in the left lane (on the interstate), it would pull massively to the right. It seriously felt like it was trying to crash into the car next to me like you see police trying to do when people are running from them. Fortunately, I was ready to take over but after the 3rd or 4th time, I completely disengaged AP.

While charging, I noticed that the front radar was covered in road salt, so I cleaned it off but that didn't help at all. Not sure what's up but it was super sketchy. I think I'll email them about it.

Intriguing. I thought the rear camera is only for viewing not connected to AP in anyway. So how would shadow be interpreted as obstruction?

It's the red/yellow wavy lines you see on the dash, and the car pings at you when you get too close to things (like I like to do to my wife's chagrine). I tend to park close in the front and the car will yell at me to "stop" and one time even forced the grey "hold" function on. I've crushed things in my garage with my X5. Love how the MS tells you how close things are. When you back up it also gives you warnings.

You are right it's not the AP, but I think the car tends to see shadows as obstructions. It often yells at me and gives me distance warnings as I back it out into the morning sun from the garage. I am sure it's not the camera per se (I read other posts saying the camera is just for us, the car doesn't use it).

However, I was watching the camera image as I was backing out since the car was yelling at me, to see what was blocking me. The only thing I could see was a clear demarcated shadow line from the morning sun cast from the front edge of my house. As I approached the shadow line and passed through it, the distance numbers and red line faded, turned yellow, and went away. And the car stopped yelling at me.

I'm guessing that there may be some relationship between the software for front/back distance measurements and the AP. This would partially explain why it seems to see shadows as objects/obstructions.

Then again, maybe the car just likes yelling at me. It is my wife's car...

That's very intriguing, and I like your analysis! Maybe summon is differentiated from the autopilot processing system and that's how it knows things? I'm not sure, we're going to need more data as to how the rear camera plays into software, more specifically into the relation between sonar sensor + rear camera.

It's the red/yellow wavy lines you see on the dash, and the car pings at you when you get too close to things (like I like to do to my wife's chagrine). I tend to park close in the front and the car will yell at me to "stop" and one time even forced the grey "hold" function on. I've crushed things in my garage with my X5. Love how the MS tells you how close things are. When you back up it also gives you warnings.

You are right it's not the AP, but I think the car tends to see shadows as obstructions. It often yells at me and gives me distance warnings as I back it out into the morning sun from the garage. I am sure it's not the camera per se (I read other posts saying the camera is just for us, the car doesn't use it).

However, I was watching the camera image as I was backing out since the car was yelling at me, to see what was blocking me. The only thing I could see was a clear demarcated shadow line from the morning sun cast from the front edge of my house. As I approached the shadow line and passed through it, the distance numbers and red line faded, turned yellow, and went away. And the car stopped yelling at me.

I'm guessing that there may be some relationship between the software for front/back distance measurements and the AP. This would partially explain why it seems to see shadows as objects/obstructions.

Then again, maybe the car just likes yelling at me. It is my wife's car...
Can you post a picture of the condition when the car yelled at you to stop, without obstruction in close proximity?

AP keeps wanting to side swipe cars for me..... I feel it pulling towards cars in other lanes and it's way to close for comfort.

I remember in early AP literature they mentioned it was supposed to give extra room when passing or being passed by other vehicles - especially trucks. I also feel like sometimes another vehicle beside me is a magnet for my car.

Overall though I am very satisfied with this "Gen 1" Autopilot and it is certainly something I miss when jumping into another vehicle for the day.

Can you post a picture of the condition when the car yelled at you to stop, without obstruction in close proximity?

Ok, no go this Saturday. Too cloudy this morning, but I described to my wife what the issue was and she will try to keep her eye out for the false warning. Will see if we can try again tomorrow, but there is supposed to be a storm coming through.

First two days with my Model S and I am LOVING Autopilot. I have only tried it in the center lane and it works GREAT.

I gave test rides to over a dozen folks and let even a few (licensed) teenagers drive. Every one of them were simply awe-struck on how nicely it drove on Autopilot. The young ones were the most curious, asking dozens of questions. With a car full of adults, who had no clue to the self-driving autopilot capabilities of this car, it was a riot moment when I turned it on and let go of the steering wheel. I wish I had it recorded. First it was stunned disbelief and that quickly turned to loud cheering.

Question: Where is this so called Autopilot literature, that you guys are referring to?. The manual that is in the center console has no information except a bunch of warnings and such. How do I even change my distance-to-follow setting?