Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What the hell has happened to Autopilot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love 99% of my model Y. (its my second Tesla) but the windscreen wipers are crap. No problem historically I would just turn them off when they start randomly going, but they caused me to turn to grumpiness yesterday. I drove from the south coast to the Peak district on Friday and back last night. The whole time both ways the wipers kept coming on. Last night (without any rain) the wipers wanted to be on all the way from Matlock to Heathrow. I got to the point of driving the car myself. I know its a 1st world problem! Annoying though. To be honest I thought the wiper off button was broken until a passenger over the weekend told me that the screen said they cant be turned off in autopilot.
Agreed, it's typically some dirt on the screen in front of the camera, I've started carrying screen cleaner and a cloth so I can stop and sort it out. Twice now I've had the experience you describe, once in my own car, and again after collecting a loaner from Tesla.

Agreed, it's typically some dirt on the screen in front of the camera, I've started carrying screen cleaner and a cloth so I can stop and sort it out. Twice now I've had the experience you describe, once in my own car, and again after collecting a loaner from Tesla.
Interesting, hadn’t thought of that.
I’ll have a look at the windscreen ahead of the front camera and check to see if it’s dirty.
I wish I didn’t have to bother doing “preventive maintenance” on my auto-wipers, though…

I have a low PPM water sprayer that I use frequently on the top camera cluster, just something you get used to per the owner’s guide instructions to keep the cameras clear. It only takes a spec of something opaque to disrupt the system if it lands near the middle zonal spot. Even then, I've occasionally had the wipers activate needlessly when the neural net misfires.

Just upgraded to 28.2 overnight and AP has gone to ratshit! Literally unable to remain on for more than a minute before going nuts (red beeping wheel) and cancelling. Then the visualisations refuse to show other vehicles, like it’s looking no more than 10ft ahead.
I rebooted the car I thought it was that bad. Worked for about 2 min then same…..
2021 SR+
Any ideas? It’s not showing any errors in the notifications (camera issues etc).

Just upgraded to 28.2 overnight and AP has gone to ratshit! Literally unable to remain on for more than a minute before going nuts (red beeping wheel) and cancelling. Then the visualisations refuse to show other vehicles, like it’s looking no more than 10ft ahead.
I rebooted the car I thought it was that bad. Worked for about 2 min then same…..
2021 SR+
Any ideas? It’s not showing any errors in the notifications (camera issues etc).
Thanks for the heads up, will continue to avoid updates in this case!

2021 SR+
Mine went to crap three releases ago. it totally screwed up my auto wipers - that were already bad - and the auto high beams. At night time I have an alert telling me emergency braking is disabled which fights for the camera obscured warnings.

For the first time since March this year I’ve switched off AHB but I have limited control of the wipers. I haven’t used AP for months as it doesn’t work due to continuous camera obscured issues - cameras are within spec apparently!

I’m guessing it all relies on cameras now. Petty, as rain sensors work day and night.

Glad it's not just me that does that.

Although I also keep a small bottle of window cleaner to spray and wipe all the cameras, not just the front windscreen ones.

I did read somewhere that the latest AI for the wipers used multiple camera inputs to sense road spray, rain etc, which was their latest attempt to improve matters.

I don't know how true it is, but I found that ensuring all cameras are clean somehow helps with the auto wipers.

Glad it's not just me that does that.

Although I also keep a small bottle of window cleaner to spray and wipe all the cameras, not just the front windscreen ones.

I did read somewhere that the latest AI for the wipers used multiple camera inputs to sense road spray, rain etc, which was their latest attempt to improve matters.

I don't know how true it is, but I found that ensuring all cameras are clean somehow helps with the auto wipers.
Doesn’t the wipers‘ spray/wipe solve this issue? Not much use for the other cameras though I guess.

I’d have thought vision only would be better at seeing more cars ahead. Radar wouldn’t be able to see through the car in front…
It can 'see' underneath. There is a classic video of this on the internet where the car alerts before you can see from the dashcam a car two ahead (totally obscured by the car in front) stopped and gets smashed into by the car in front. It was one of the things that initially impressed me about Tesla.

Reactions: robmcm
Tesla autopilot is absolutely overpriced trash and in fact far worse than systems not called autopilot from other major manufacturers. Good thing I only paid $5k for “enhanced autopilot” and $3k for “full self-driving” back in 2018 instead of whatever ridiculous price they’re charging for this snake oil today.
It's free. Or rather included in the price of the car.

The only other system I've used which was similar was eyesight from Subaru and Autopilot is about 10x better.

AP and all of the safety features on the Tesla do what they are intended to do, improve safety. There are statistics (from outside Tesla) which prove this.

FSD is another story all together.

• Disagree
Reactions: PerBB
It can 'see' underneath. There is a classic video of this on the internet where the car alerts before you can see from the dashcam a car two ahead (totally obscured by the car in front) stopped and gets smashed into by the car in front. It was one of the things that initially impressed me about Tesla.

Impressive, but then this vision only FSD video seems unaffected by fog 🤷‍♂️