Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What the hell has happened to Autopilot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And yet the Model Y achieved among the highest Euro NCAP results ever achieved (this was with Tesla Vision):

E-NCAP Results
And VW had stellar emission results on their Diesel engines…
I’m not sure that you can be so certain of extrapolating Tesla Vision data from a predictable and controlled event into real world performance.
I appreciate it’s the best testbed we have at the moment, but still…

Great! Now, given the fact that my autopilot is downright dangerous, auto lights and auto wipers are worse than on a Ford from 20 years ago, and that with each update my car has got worse over the last six months, I guess I just got unlucky and received a Friday car. Still, the next two or three Teslas I get I might get lucky like you have. Fingers crossed!
Why not just trade in for a Mach-e or a BMW? Both of those cars do a good job wit the high beams, wipers and radar..... or is there something else about Tesla that makes you want your next 2 or 3 cars to be from them?

• Funny
Reactions: InDaClub
Why not just trade in for a Mach-e or a BMW? Both of those cars do a good job wit the high beams, wipers and radar..... or is there something else about Tesla that makes you want your next 2 or 3 cars to be from them?

Come on guys, let's not make this forum like Tesla Owners UK on Facebook. I left that group after seeing too many posts from people saying their Tesla was crap and they were getting a Taycan... I flipped out one day and told one of those guys to put his money where his mouth was, sell his Tesla, and therefore leave the group as he would no longer be a Tesla owner. I was roundly attacked for being rude!

Come on guys, let's not make this forum like Tesla Owners UK on Facebook. I left that group after seeing too many posts from people saying their Tesla was crap and they were getting a Taycan... I flipped out one day and told one of those guys to put his money where his mouth was, sell his Tesla, and therefore leave the group as he would no longer be a Tesla owner. I was roundly attacked for being rude!
Any reason to leave Facebook is a good reason ;)

I'm going against the grain of most comments here it seems but I think I've used Autopilot more since the introduction of Tesla Vision in the last month than I have since I bought the car in March 2020.

It appears to me to be much more natural and far less jerky. When disengaging AP to go to TACC, if performing an overtake the car no longer slows down mid move until positioned fully in the adjacent lane, and in slow crawling traffic it appears also to keep a much more regulated speed. Just seems more human like.

In the visualisations, the cars/lorries I'm overtaking no longer appear to veer to the right. Haven't had a phantom brake incident with it yet, not suggesting for one moment that that issue is now solved, just that I personally haven't had any issue with it in many of the circumstances would cause it and put me off using autopilot previously.

Wipers have always been acceptable but not exceptional for me and have always remained on auto. I've also always used AHB which I think has actually gotten worse on dual carriageways/motorways - the light threshold for activation appears a lot lower now. The new behaviour introduced whereby AHB is activated from the start of the drive, rather than the first request to enable AHB is an irritant, as this does activate at night when driving through well lit towns and cities where AP has not been engaged. I'm hoping this particular behaviour is a bug to be resolved rather than the new normal, or at least Tesla will tweak the sensitivity of the AHB going forward.

Not sure if this is related to my observations but I've recently treated all of my cameras with SOFT99 4172 Glaco Mirror Coat Zero which is an ultra-hydrophobic coating to keep any water away from the lenses.

In general, a strong improvement in AP and a feature of the car I'm now using more and more.

Sorry, I was not trying to be rude, I was just wondering what was leading to wanting to continue getting Tesla cars if there are such issues, clearly there are some strong positives that outweigh the issues if the next 2 to 3 cars will be Teslas. Hopefully the increased competition in the EV market will cause a more rapid improvement in all cars!

Sorry, I was not trying to be rude, I was just wondering what was leading to wanting to continue getting Tesla cars if there are such issues, clearly there are some strong positives that outweigh the issues if the next 2 to 3 cars will be Teslas. Hopefully the increased competition in the EV market will cause a more rapid improvement in all cars!
They’re just a bloody joy to drive, that’s what it is! 😄

Reactions: Overworked
I also use AP a lot, and in places it’s not intended for. Vision has made it smoother. My auto wipers are ok. AHB definitely needs a lot of work.
Pillar cameras need work too. On short journeys in autumn/winter they constantly suffer from condensation. Front and wing cameras are fine and the rear is as dirty as any other I’ve had.
Over the last 6 months, AP has become more confident in my experience. I know that’s not the experience of many.

Reactions: init6
I have used my radar controlled cruise control for the last 6 years in rain, fog and every other condition available. The only times I had issue was when snow built up on it, even though I wasn't using it as that would have been silly, but I had a warning that it wasn't available due to obstruction.

The point I am trying to make is vision will never be as good as radar, due to the limitations of cameras, and the limitations that a lot of other people have mentioned in this and other threads.

I am happy the Y has scored so highly as it does look a safe car, however if they would have tested it in real world conditions, with dirty cameras, or rain, or fog, then things would have more than likely been different, and that is my point.

It does look like Tesla is making some decisions lately that are retrograde and point to cost cutting, which is a shame and it won't be long before other manufacturers notice and start highlighting this to make comparisons. Then again, if I had to find £44 billion to buy Twitter then I would be looking at maximising my profit margins too.

Reactions: PerBB
Then again, if I had to find £44 billion to buy Twitter then I would be looking at maximising my profit margins too.
I did not know Tesla was buying Twitter. I thought Elon Musk was leading a consortium of buyers, using both equity and debt financing, and had months ago sold more than enough of his Tesla holdings to fund his portion of the deal.

Well, this will be my first and last Tesla, given that Hyundai/Kia/Genesis offer far more for far less, and Mercedes and BMW have traditional luxury.and now starting to see electric platforms to match.

I was taken in by all the talk of Tesla tech being generations ahead, the car gets better over time, can't get anything close to it from others. When the simple truth is the drive train, battery and efficiency is first class, operated via software that feels like it is from the early 2000s.

Last edited:
I love 99% of my model Y. (its my second Tesla) but the windscreen wipers are crap. No problem historically I would just turn them off when they start randomly going, but they caused me to turn to grumpiness yesterday. I drove from the south coast to the Peak district on Friday and back last night. The whole time both ways the wipers kept coming on. Last night (without any rain) the wipers wanted to be on all the way from Matlock to Heathrow. I got to the point of driving the car myself. I know its a 1st world problem! Annoying though. To be honest I thought the wiper off button was broken until a passenger over the weekend told me that the screen said they cant be turned off in autopilot.

Reactions: ACarneiro