Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What to expect when you're expecting (Australia Delivery Process)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys , couple of questions hopefully someone could help?
1. On delivery day, do you guys use some sort of checklist which you could find online to check your car?
2. anyone recently picked up RWD could help to confirm the car still come town matrix headlight?

Thanks guys
With 1. I had one on my phone but honestly so excited to get the car I did a few things like check panel gaps (had an issue with rear tail lights but they fixed later) and that all accessories included that was about it. The SA leave you alone and come back to you like 20 min later but if you got issues you can just ask them to come over. The guy next to me was really looking at his list and every car detail and even brought a flashlight. The other couple next to us didnt seem to have much idea and asked where was the spare wheel and drove off soon afterwards. I don't ever remember checking much with all the ICE cars I bought over the years.

With 1. I had one on my phone but honestly so excited to get the car I did a few things like check panel gaps (had an issue with rear tail lights but they fixed later) and that all accessories included that was about it. The SA leave you alone and come back to you like 20 min later but if you got issues you can just ask them to come over. The guy next to me was really looking at his list and every car detail and even brought a flashlight. The other couple next to us didnt seem to have much idea and asked where was the spare wheel and drove off soon afterwards. I don't ever remember checking much with all the ICE cars I bought over the years.
Thanks man appreciate your reply

So I just accepted my trade-in value and only have the financing left to go. It's all approved, but the bank is waiting on the invoice to pay it out. I'm guessing that's the next thing tesla will do, is issue the invoice with the trade-in amount taken off?

Tesla smashed my phone with texts in December asking me to finalise payment for an estimated 26 Dec. to 15 Jan. delivery of the Y model in Melbourne.

Complied. Paid. Radio silence. Now they’ve moved the estimated delivery date and I have someone interested in my car but heaven knows what’s going on? Tesla don’t seem to know either 0.o

Quick note that the sequence of events seems to have changed (or at least for us).

1. Customer order is placed
2. Order is prepped in Tesla systems (and app showed Feb - May 2023 estimate)
3. (About 3 months passed)
4. SMS “a model 3 has been assigned to your order” and EDD of 19/Jan - 2/Feb in app. No VIN (even via Tesla API).

No final invoice/payment yet, just a note they’ll be in touch closer to the date.

Maybe we’ve picked up a vehicle still on a boat whose order was cancelled 🤷‍♂️

Damn. My EDD has reverted back to Feb - May

Guess I didn’t get assigned a car then.
7172A91C-354B-41EE-9104-85CC3810D0E4.png
454B8418-E162-43B1-A152-14D0B78B3A96.png

So I just accepted my trade-in value and only have the financing left to go. It's all approved, but the bank is waiting on the invoice to pay it out. I'm guessing that's the next thing tesla will do, is issue the invoice with the trade-in amount taken off?
trade-in is only valid for 60 days apparently so it sounds like you have a car assigned.. you cant be THAT far away :)

Already posted this in the Model Y waiting room, but here might be more appropriate:
2 questions if I may:
-registration: I have new custom plates in storage at NSW service. Am I correct in that there is no way for me to put them on at pickup, but the car will get a standard plate and then I’ll have to go to pick mine and return the standard?
-pickup: how many days are you normally given to choose among delivery week? I’ll be travelling for work and only be home a couple of weekends in the EDD. Also, I believe I can ask someone to pick it up for me, but not sure how?

Already posted this in the Model Y waiting room, but here might be more appropriate:
2 questions if I may:
-registration: I have new custom plates in storage at NSW service. Am I correct in that there is no way for me to put them on at pickup, but the car will get a standard plate and then I’ll have to go to pick mine and return the standard?
-pickup: how many days are you normally given to choose among delivery week? I’ll be travelling for work and only be home a couple of weekends in the EDD. Also, I believe I can ask someone to pick it up for me, but not sure how?
1. Registration - correct, this is how they've been operating.
2. According to your Order Agreement with Tesla that they were issuing last year, they need to give you 7 days notice before they get the option to assign the car to someone else. We have seen examples on here of people getting as little as 3 days notice, with zero flexibility from Tesla. Note that you might not get the option to pick up on a weekend, it really comes down to the timing of when your car leaves Port Kembla. Tesla can advise you on the process for authorising someone to pick it up on your behalf.

Good luck with it. Remind yourself that this is the last part of the unsatisfactory process of ordering a Tesla. It's all upside from the point of receiving your car.

Reactions: aussiericky
Is it possible to delay delivery slightly?

My EDD shows Feb-May 2023. If by any miracle I am notified that my car is available before Feb (say December or Jan), is there a way to ask Tesla to delay delivery to Feb without having to go back in queue?
Hey mate. Did you learn anything more about the possibility of delaying delivery? I'm in a difficult situation now, I planned and booked a 10 day long trip a few months back, and this week Tesla is saying that my delivery date will probably be the day after I leave. I emailed them, but their solution is that someone would have to take delivery on my behalf. I don't like that at all.

Hey mate. Did you learn anything more about the possibility of delaying delivery? I'm in a difficult situation now, I planned and booked a 10 day long trip a few months back, and this week Tesla is saying that my delivery date will probably be the day after I leave. I emailed them, but their solution is that someone would have to take delivery on my behalf. I don't like that at all.
My EDD changed and now it’s compatible with my travels, so I shouldn’t have a problem, but I spoke to someone who took delivery and they were given an entire week to pick a day from, but for others especially overseas the day is set in stone for them. I did text my SA and he said that if I was only home on weekends he could arrange for the day to fall on one of those, but you might be stuck in the week you’re away…

I have a custom plate that want to assign to my new Model3 in Victoria. Tesla tells me they will deliver the vehicle with standard assigned plate, and I need to arrange the custom plate transfer with Vicroads after the delivery. Is there no option to let Tesla registrate custom plate without doing extra plate transfer step?

I have a custom plate that want to assign to my new Model3 in Victoria. Tesla tells me they will deliver the vehicle with standard assigned plate, and I need to arrange the custom plate transfer with Vicroads after the delivery. Is there no option to let Tesla registrate custom plate without doing extra plate transfer step?
AFAIK no - Tesla no longer accommodates custom plates and you have to handle it all yourself now, including taking off the standard plates, putting on your own and updating VicRoads.

Assuming the custom plates aren’t on a car at the moment, you can do it over the phone. It’s very simple.
If they ARE on a car, you need to go to VicRoads, purchase a new set of plates which will be assigned to the car straight away, and then swap the plates over (in the VicRoads carpark, otherwise you’ll be driving with the wrong plates on the car!). The custom plates will then be on “self retention” and you can ring up and assign them to another car.