Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What would make you cancel your Model 3 Reservation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So far nothing I've seen is a deal-breaker for me. It would be hard to take the federal tax rebate hit if I decided to go AWD (6-9 months from July could axe the $7,500 in half), but either way I'm getting a 3. I'd love to get an S instead but I seriously can't justify the price. Just not an option unless rich old Aunt Gertrude kicks it. Neither is the clown car Bolt. I'd like to go down the street with some dignity.

Trivia - The Clown Shoe is a registered trademark of Dodge for their early Viper sportscars.

So far nothing I've seen is a deal-breaker for me. It would be hard to take the federal tax rebate hit if I decided to go AWD (6-9 months from July could axe the $7,500 in half), but either way I'm getting a 3. I'd love to get an S instead but I seriously can't justify the price. Just not an option unless rich old Aunt Gertrude kicks it. Neither is the clown car Bolt. I'd like to go down the street with some dignity.
Elon did tweet that first-day reservers will have a "pretty good" chance of getting an AWD by the end of this year. Although there's still ambiguity about what he actually meant in his earlier "in 6 to 9 months" tweet, the newer tweet lends weight to the argument that it's in 6 to 9 months from when he said this, rather than 6 to 9 months after the Model 3 launch in July.

Reactions: internalaudit
If all goes well Tesla will be building 500,000 cars/year for the near future. Assuming half will be sold outside the U.S., that's less than 2% of the annual U.S. new car sales. So it's OK if 98% of the car buying public would rather have a different interior, etc. than what Tesla has-- it will still sell everything it can build.

I am on the fence and will stay there until it's time to configure. Before that I want to sit in the car
(roomy enough?), check out the interior, and decide if it's worth ordering early just for the $7500. I really don't need it until 2019 now. Original plan did not include test driving an S and impulsively ordering one in June 2016 :)
I love it and like the bigger car. My experience: I do want a larger battery now and will upgrade the 3 on the battery.

Attachments

• flintmovile.jpg
    flintmovile.jpg
    538.5 KB · Views: 45
I just cancelled my Model 3 reservation. Because I got impatient waiting and I bought a 2015 model S instead.

I got impatient too soon after I made my reservations (two of them) on 31 March 2016, and I bought a used Model S P85. It has been absolutely incredible and a great hold over until the Model 3 arrives; I will not cancel my reservations. The P85 I have is loaded, but obviously it is not AWD. AWD is something I thought I'd really want, but having the RWD might even be a preference. I know that might sound odd, but the P85 is a blast to drive partially BECAUSE it is rear wheel drive. It can get a little squirrelly, but after driving it in snowy weather of an Indiana winter, the car stays planted better than most other cars I've driven. Yes, I'm sure I suffer from increased tire wear, but...;)

I hope the early versions do offer a performance package, even if it's only rear wheel drive. I also would select air suspension, premium sound, tech package, and all glass roof if offered. These are exciting times.:):):)

• Informative
Reactions: internalaudit
I think the car looks fine. It will be replacing a sedan, so the trunk v. hatch is a non-issue. What would make me cancel my reservation? Lousy ergonomics (bending my head low to get in, hitting my knee on a display's sharp corner or edge) cheesy plastic, uncomfortable seats. Poor cockpit visibility. Cluttered, non-intuitive display.
Any of those would do it immediately.
Robin

Last edited: