Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What would make you cancel your Model 3 Reservation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To those concerned about the presence or absence of one feature or another, please answer this question. What
EV would you buy instead? You stood in line to place a reservation because you wanted to drive a reasonably priced long range EV with supercharging capability instead of an ICE, right?

I would say the answer for many is: wait for the right time to buy a BEV for a little longer. Certainly is for me. If Model 3 will not fit the bill I had in mind, I'll wait for Jaguar I-Pace or Audi's entries.

People will jump in when the time and the product is right. A lof of people jumped in with the Model S, because the product was so right. For those whom Model S was not right (e.g. price), well, they have been waiting (e.g. Model 3) and buying/driving whatever in the meanwhile. A lot of people for whom Model X was not right (e.g. no folding), went with a hybrid Volvo for example, but I'm guessing more just continued driving their old cars a bit longer...

IMO it's the same going forward. If Model 3 is not right, most will just drive an ICE or a hybrid, and take another look when the competing BEVs and other Tesla models appear/mature.

Last edited:
Reactions: internalaudit
To those concerned about the presence or absence of one feature or another, please answer this question. What
EV would you buy instead? You stood in line to place a reservation because you wanted to drive a reasonably priced long range EV with supercharging capability instead of an ICE, right?
Thanks to Tesla 2020 will be here real soon and several EV's supposedly on the way. If only an EV were my preference I might look into BMW, ME/BE. But I want to travel (retiring soon) and right now and for the near future Tesla is the ONLY option!

One word: SUPERCHARGING! Or is that 2 :)

I'm budgeting around $50k (+/- a few k) for a D model with upgraded battery. I would consider canceling my res if

* A CPO D model S refresh w/ext. warranty could be had for less (60/75 battery acceptable) than the 3 after any tax rebates
* Any combo of the CO state and Fed rebates totaled less than $5k (currently $5k for CO and $7500 for fed)
In the near term, nothing short of shaky financials will cause me to cancel the reservation.

Long term it's going to be cost, range and possibly early reviews. Given our winters here, range must be close to 300 miles. If the Ontario EV credit (around $USD 9K) goes away, I would likely cancel as I'm budgeting to have AWD, the largest battery and a few other options under $USD 45K after credits.

• Informative
I would cancel my reservation if all of the following occurred:
  • Schedule delays push expected delivery date to after Q3 2018, significantly reducing likelihood of a full $7,500 tax credit
  • Base model excessively barebones, with just about every feature you'd expect in a $35k vehicle shifted to an add-on instead
  • Overpriced upgrade options
In short, my expectation is that I'll get a respectably-equipped (read: not concerned with fancy sound systems, wheels, roof options, air suspension, autopilot, etc.) Model 3 for somewhere between $41k - $44k, and get the full $7.5k tax credit on top of that for an end price of $33.5k - $37.5k before taxes.

• Informative
There are really no other viable alternatives. Model 3 was supposed to be "the one". That's why people are so bummed about the design.