Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What would you like to see added in software updates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But it shouldn't take much in the way of resources either, and maybe there are some people who want to disrupt the peace of their drive that way.

At least they won't be annoying everyone else like the performance ICE cars and motorcycles do.

Cheers :) yes, I recall BMW deployed something similar on their three-cylinder i8 hybrid (a very expensive car that came with fake sounds), so I think the precedent has been set for Tesla to release something similar, but theirs can probably be more fun. Once the coding is done, changing out the sounds would be easy. ‘Jetsons’ sounds would be possible. Does the Model 3 have any pedestrian-awareness sounds? That could be solved at the same time, though without a speaker on the outside, it could be a bit tricky to arrange.

-Alex

Cheers :) yes, I recall BMW deployed something similar on their three-cylinder i8 hybrid (a very expensive car that came with fake sounds), so I think the precedent has been set for Tesla to release something similar, but theirs can probably be more fun. Once the coding is done, changing out the sounds would be easy. ‘Jetsons’ sounds would be possible. Does the Model 3 have any pedestrian-awareness sounds? That could be solved at the same time, though without a speaker on the outside, it could be a bit tricky to arrange.

-Alex

I don't think Tesla has implemented any pedestrian aware sounds on any car so far.

After nearly a decade of driving EVs full time, I'm convinced there's minimal value to such a thing - I'd much rather have a lesser manual alert sound like the horn burble GM gave the Volt.

If I do have to have one, though, I want Jaws music, with the beat timing based on how close to being eaten they are...

I don't think Tesla has implemented any pedestrian aware sounds on any car so far.

After nearly a decade of driving EVs full time, I'm convinced there's minimal value to such a thing - I'd much rather have a lesser manual alert sound like the horn burble GM gave the Volt.

If I do have to have one, though, I want Jaws music, with the beat timing based on how close to being eaten they are...

Fair enough but it’s mandatory in some markets... I wonder how they’re doing it for Japan.

I’ve seen pedestrians cross the road without looking when they’ve already looked the other way and can hear that there’s no car coming behind them (I was in a Leaf; obviously its speaker-generated whine wasn’t loud enough) - the threat seems to be at low speeds up to when the tyre noise becomes sufficient.

I’ve also had to be quick on the horn in carpark buildings - Murphy’s Law ensures that three drivers will back out of angled parks at exactly the same moment without seeing each other. The noisiest will be the one that doesn’t get hit. I think, therefore, that a parking noise feature with rattling tank-tread sounds would be useful :)

-Alex

Last edited:
Fair enough but it’s mandatory in some markets... I wonder how they’re doing it for Japan.

I’ve seen pedestrians cross the road without looking when they’ve already looked the other way and can hear that there’s no car coming behind them (I was in a Leaf) - the threat is at low speeds up to when the tyre noise becomes sufficient.

-Alex

Yeah, I think it's scheduled to become mandatory in the US one of these years, too.

But the main outcome is noise pollution IMHO - nearly as many clueless folks step out in front of ICE cars with their earbuds on.

Reactions: alexGS
As others have already mentioned I'd also like Apple play and 360 view (but I've heard there may be patent issues with that). In addition to those requests I would also like a wider line on the energy bar that is below the speedometer, it is too thin for my liking. The energy graph on the other hand is far too large and currently takes up too much space on the screen.

Reactions: UTMB
360 view (but I've heard there may be patent issues with that)..

No, there's the issue that the cameras to do it don't exist on the car.

Look at where the front cameras are. Now tell me how they're going to show you a view under the front bumper

Cars with 360 overhead cameras have fisheye lens cameras, pointing down, much lower physically on the car (usually mounted in the bumpers)

Two things. Cabin audio overlay recording on dashcam and the option to use the internal camera. Being pulled over and accused of being on a cell phone when you aren’t sucks. Especially since you lose your license for three days in Ontario for a conviction.

Look at where the front cameras are. Now tell me how they're going to show you a view under the front bumper

Cars with 360 overhead cameras have fisheye lens cameras, pointing down, much lower physically on the car (usually mounted in the bumpers)

I don't disagree with any of that and in fact that is obvious (and has been pointed out previously in this forum). I said I had heard there is a patent issue. Now is this patent issue true? Well I don't know, but Tesla could certainly add the appropriate cameras if they wanted to and if there isn't a patent issue. More than a year ago after I got my 3 I started thinking about how I might accomplish something like this as an add on but decided it wasn't worth any more effort.

Add AM to the radio. Not sure how to listen to Sports in a Model 3. I have to use my phone for Live video streaming instead.

There are TONS of sports stations on the internet radio. Just do a category search. I have my hometown sports talk station (680 The Fan Atlanta) plugged in so I can listen to that no matter where I travel. And there are live sports by team and by sport etc. Way better than AM.

I would really like some improvements in how the USB music interface works, looks, behaves etc. It's sort of dismal the way it is.
Firstly I have a large music library (30k tunes and growing) and not very fond of streaming as I feel like I'm paying a service to provide me with something I already bought. The interface lists songs by name, album, artist, genre etc. All well and good, but the little scrolling letters on the right don't work well at all. Plus the fonts are pretty small. When you're driving you can't always bend over to read the tiny letters.

If you scroll down to a folder, artist etc say that starts with the letter R, then hit the 'back' arrow, it doesn't go back to where you were, but back to the top of the list. Really annoying and inconvenient.

Playlists would be great.

If a song comes up and you want to hear that entire album, a selector to 'Play Album' would be great. Or if you navigate from 'song list' to 'album list' it actually were to go to that album and not just to the top of the selected list.

Just some thoughts on how it could be better. Maybe a couple of more EQ bands too.

Also, having a large library, I put it on an SSD as it was on a spinning USB drive and since the last update in Aug 2019, loads much slower than before. WHY does it require reloading about 90% of the time after getting out of the car? Even my 2013 Ford Fusion didn't reindex the music that often. Shouldn't the system be able to just start it up where it left off if nothing has changed? It's very sporadic if it saves the settings or not. Changing over to SSD is faster, but still it can take several minutes to load in the library.

SEARCHING!! - verbal searches do not search the USB but only streaming sites. What's up with that????

Reactions: ash9.58 and pwykes
I WANT A DUMB CRUISE CONTROL!!! ONE THAT SETS THE SPEED AND THAT'S THAT!!
My Model 3 has nearly caused several rear end collisions (my rear end) by needless application of brakes. I've turned off every 'emergency' setting possible and it will still slam on brakes for odd or no reason.
For example, on a 2 lane road, fairly straight going 60MPH (55 was the speed limit). A disabled car on the right side of the road, no people around, nothing but a car on the right side of the road, sort of close to the edge but off the road WHAM!!! Went from 60 to 40 in about 1/2 second with my 80 y/o mother in law in the back. My wife already says she hates the car because of these events.

Next day, on interstate, fair amount of traffic, on the left lane going like 65 MPH, a car is parked on the left shoulder, off the road - WHAM!! slammed on brakes again.

One time driving in residential area, bright sunny day, no cars moving but plenty parked on both sides of the road, for no reason went from 30MPH to nearly dead stop for no reason.

Then there's this is very predictable event. Multi lane road with a median, and a car on the other side makes a left turn across my travel lane, but with plenty of space to safely complete the turn but the Tesla is a skittish scardy cat driver that slams on brakes and then resumes speed a 1/2 second later because the turning car is out of the way. In the course of this whips passengers back & forth.

All of these could be cured with a 'classic cruise control' mode just like I have used for about 2 decades with no problems.
I've begun just not using it in situations where these events may come up. It seems to do better with the auto-steer engaged.

It's not all bad, the auto-steer is a great thing when in stop & go traffic. It just follows the car in front, when they move, I move, when they stop I stop without having to be on hyper alert for cars jamming on brakes in front of me etc.

Also, having a large library, I put it on an SSD as it was on a spinning USB drive and since the last update in Aug 2019, loads much slower than before. WHY does it require reloading about 90% of the time after getting out of the car? Even my 2013 Ford Fusion didn't reindex the music that often. Shouldn't the system be able to just start it up where it left off if nothing has changed? It's very sporadic if it saves the settings or not. Changing over to SSD is faster, but still it can take several minutes to load in the library.

SEARCHING!! - verbal searches do not search the USB but only streaming sites. What's up with that????

All great points!
However I have over 12000 songs on a thumb drive and it indexes only the first time I put it in. It has never reindexed. I have the latest update. Maybe there is a threshold of number of songs or directories that is has to reindex over and over.

So, maybe calling it 360-degree mode is the wrong thing. I’d be happy with “Simultaneous video feed display” - give me 4 quadrants on display - front-fisheye, left repeater, right repeater and rear. My suspicion (and I have zero knowledge of this) is that maybe running all 4 feeds at full frame rate - along with all the other processing - needs the newer CPU in HW3.

Maybe?