Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 2023 updates? Or what would you guys like to see?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That wont do Tesla cars any good.
Tesla is locked into multi-year wireless contract with AT&T.

I mean, Elon directly said otherwise-- and TMobile explicitly said they'd allow other cell providers to use the service via roaming agreements--- so, yes, it'll absolutely do Tesla good unless you think BOTH of them are outright lying?

About to pass 4 years with my LR AWD next week.

Only things I’ll say need updated is: please put in interior lighting (it is soo dark inside in the winter), option for no glass roof (for better insulation), and more regular door handles (twice a year I have to take them apart, clean and grease). Also the ability to change the drive to 50/50 in the AWD (like the p) would be welcome for winter driving.

About to pass 4 years with my LR AWD next week.

Only things I’ll say need updated is: please put in interior lighting (it is soo dark inside in the winter), option for no glass roof (for better insulation), and more regular door handles (twice a year I have to take them apart, clean and grease). Also the ability to change the drive to 50/50 in the AWD (like the p) would be welcome for winter driving.
What is the ratio if not 50/50? @coleAK

What is the ratio if not 50/50? @coleAK

It's 100% on the more efficient rear permanent magnet motor unless more power is requested or slippage is detected. I don't follow this topic super closely since I don't live in a region with snow/ice, but I recall a Bjorn video from a while back saying there was something of a snow/ice mode in more recent firmware. Nothing user selectable, but when traction was limited in slippery conditions the car would default to something like a 50/50 split for some undetermined amount of time.

Edit - after seeing @coleAK response above, I'm wondering if you've felt any difference in the last year or so? I'll see if I can find the video and firmware version. I recall him saying he basically had to floor it to force tires to slip before it would go into the balanced torque split. Your description fits everything I'd ever heard up until that video I mentioned though (rear breaks loose, front kicks in to straighten out, cross fingers and hope traction control doesn't screw up).

Last edited:
Reactions: MP3Mike
It's 100% on the more efficient rear permanent magnet motor unless more power is requested or slippage is detected. I don't follow this topic super closely since I don't live in a region with snow/ice, but I recall a Bjorn video from a while back saying there was something of a snow/ice mode in more recent firmware. Nothing user selectable, but when traction was limited in slippery conditions the car would default to something like a 50/50 split for some undetermined amount of time.
It does not go into 50/50. The rear slips, the fronts kick in, the rear slips, front kicks in,…. and Bjorn’s videos are a joke.

Edit - after seeing @coleAK response above, I'm wondering if you've felt any difference in the last year or so? I'll see if I can find the video and firmware version. I recall him saying he basically had to floor it to force tires to slip before it would go into the balanced torque split. Your description fits everything I'd ever heard up until that video I mentioned though (rear breaks loose, front kicks in to straighten out, cross fingers and hope traction control doesn't screw up).
There have been no improvements with updates to the LR. P cars got track mode a few years back which allows changed to the f/r bias. Yet another reason I’m still mildly pissed at tesla when I got mine. long story, short version, I ordered a “stealth” performance but with the 18” wheels when it was an option in ordering summer 2018. Tesla called me to inform that they were not ever going to build performance without the larger brakes. A few calls with Tech and somone that told me they were an engineer and there is no way <20” would fit on a p car. All of which we know is not true now, I ended up with a LR, which I’m happy with just don’t like being lied to.

.The first winter it was a bit un-nerving (especially for my wife) it’s most obvious when going uphill on solid ice or old densely packed snow. But now I just know that eventually (feels like a while but really is probably a fraction of a second) the front motor will kick And save me. Up here that banned salt years ago so we drive on snow/ice more of the year then not and I run my winter studded tires at least 7 months a year.

Overall pretty happy with my '21 LR. A couple things that I had issues with have been fixed with the '22 or with software updates.

Some things I would like to see via software would be:
-The ability to use an Apple Watch as a "2FA" so I can still have the security of my passcode to drive but if it detects my phone and watch then the passcode would not be required. (cabin camera for face detect unlock?)
-Add an accept call button (right scroll press) to answer calls and then press again to end as the voice command feature would not be needed at that time.
-Disable traction control option. (Seriously why doesn't this car have this option!!!!)

I don't know, I think he's a pretty funny character. It definitely exists in some fashion in some regions at the very least. You can watch his ScanMyTesla data in the video.
I agree he is entertaining but greatly exaggerates everything I’ve seen him do as it pertains to winter.

Also not knowledgeable about vehicles, winter driving, off roading, winter tires, pretty much everything I’ve seen him talk about.

I guess Like most reality TV and YouTubers, I would say although entertaining not educational, informative, or reality.

I guess I should also add that I’m among other degrees I’m a researcher and statistician. So I want things factual and with some degree of evidence. I also freely talk about things I know well (like cold/snow/ice/off roading/most things outdoors/….). But you will never hear me chime in on things like hot weather, AC, traffic, urban driving,…

Last edited:
Only things I’ll say need updated is: please put in interior lighting (it is soo dark inside in the winter)
My September 2021 LR AWD has interior lighting. Ambient steering wheel and footwell lights in addition to the map reading lights and overhead lights. I also have a frunk and trunk light. Are you inferring that the back seat doesn't receive enough light?

Last edited:
My September 2021 LR AWD has interior lighting. Ambient steering wheel and footwell lights in addition to the map reading lights and overhead lights. I also have a frunk and trunk light. Are you inferring that the back seat doesn't receive enough light?
It has interior lights but very minimal. I’ve had convertibles with better interior lighting. When it is dark for ~21 hours in December feels like there is nothing. I keep a head light and lantern in the door pocket. I’ve considered taking apart the head liner to put in a neodymium magnet set up like I did in the tail gate of my LX570.

For me it is the biggest design oversight and why I mentioned it here on the “wish list”.

Attachments

• EEBA382A-DE58-4669-9633-6275E7189BEB.jpeg
    EEBA382A-DE58-4669-9633-6275E7189BEB.jpeg
    316.4 KB · Views: 104
  • 60E08F50-0966-4749-AE82-AD066162F7BD.jpeg
    60E08F50-0966-4749-AE82-AD066162F7BD.jpeg
    324.6 KB · Views: 68
Reactions: SalisburySam
Ice road trucker driving a Tesla. I live in the "sunshine" state. I suppose I don't have those lighting concerns.
It only really feels like you never see the sun mid November through early February. By March its way sunnier here then FL. On the flip side it never gets dark mid June through mid August, we have a local baseball tournament that starts at 10pm and usually ends ~1am on the 4th of July and there are no lights, or need for them at the field.