Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's going to be at the 2014 NAIAS Tesla exhibit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps the closed frunk is merely hiding a 12V battery that won't go dead in the night.

My hopes are high but the cynic in me would be satisfied with a rear center console that has useful cupholders.... if that's not too ambitious.

Coast to coast Superchargers can't be the "big flashy" announcement because they're still a good month away from that happening. Cranberry, PA hasn't even broken ground as of Friday.

Ugh this is killing me. My wife and I are waiting for the Model X, partially for seating seven adults, but also for the AWD. However I really want the S because I'm not a fan of SUV's and I think it looks ten times better. I just mentioned to my wife the possibility of an AWD Model S and she said we could get that instead. Please, please, please!!!

Coast to coast Superchargers can't be the "big flashy" announcement because they're still a good month away from that happening. Cranberry, PA hasn't even broken ground as of Friday.

If Lumberton, NC and Savannah, GA open today/tomorrow, they can claim east coast route is open from Miami to Boston (at least for 85 kWh owners). Close enough to make the claim.

Also, I'm sure a lot of people that don't follow Tesla on an hourly basis like so many of us are not aware of the progress of the Supercharger network overall. That could be eye opening for some.

Ugh this is killing me. My wife and I are waiting for the Model X, partially for seating seven adults, but also for the AWD. However I really want the S because I'm not a fan of SUV's and I think it looks ten times better. I just mentioned to my wife the possibility of an AWD Model S and she said we could get that instead. Please, please, please!!!
I think it 99.44% likely that there will be an AWD Model S available by the time your AWD Model X would be delivered. Given the fact that the two cars are built on the same skateboard, and there's plenty of room in the frunk to allow AWD motors, there's no engineering reason why the Model S chassis couldn't fit on the AWD skateboard.

It's all a question of timing.

If Lumberton, NC and Savannah, GA open today/tomorrow, they can claim east coast route is open from Miami to Boston (at least for 85 kWh owners). Close enough to make the claim.

Also, I'm sure a lot of people that don't follow Tesla on an hourly basis like so many of us are not aware of the progress of the Supercharger network overall. That could be eye opening for some.

It would be neat to have the Supercharger dashboard showing the current usage like they have @ Hawthorne
I could see that making an impression on people who know nothing of the SC's

no motor in the front of the skateboard @ NAIAS

Bd3_xvfCIAA8z7N.jpg

source: https://twitter.com/NYDNAutos/status/422775170139316224/photo/1

Last edited:
It would be nice to see a Model X production ready version, and then "oh, and one more thing..." Tesla Model S AWD, accepting orders today.

Elon Musk is a really smart man. There is no way that they go to Detroit empty handed after a huge year they had in 2013. They will have a nice surprise for us. I am confident in the man's marketing genius.

Agreed, considering Franz let slip they *may* debut the Model E at Detroit next year, it's clearly something they care about making a presence at. I would be surprised if they came to the show with nothing new to announce this year. 23 hours to go!

no motor in the front of the skateboard @ NAIAS

Bummer, what about the other S's, can you see if the microwave is there? (the spot where the motor should be in an AWD S)

Or is there anything in Tesla's booth that talks about AWD? or Model X? If there is absolutely nothing then I would assume Tesla has something to share at their press conference first. Would be better if they had a tarp on a car in their booth though...

You guys need to keep in mind that Elon is a great engineer, businessman, and showman. Although geek, he understands the oOo and Ah factor. Remember when the Model S was first revealed and all those people came out of the car. I would imagine the production Model X will be revealed with some smoke machine, etc. The car is probably hidden somewhere or in a trailer. He wouldn't schedule a Press Conference for nothing, I just hope Elon could actually make it.

I don't have a strong feel either way for whether we'll actually see the X or AWD S at tomorrow's announcement, but it strikes me that the folks digging for gold in what's currently on display on the public showroom floor are wasting time. Given that Tesla has a press conference tomorrow, the chances that they'd actually display whatever they plan to announce before the conference approximate zero.

Ok, looks like tonight's Panasonic press conference will not be related to their automotive battery business:

5:35-6:00 pm Panasonic, Room 321AJoin senior Panasonic automotive executives and personnel from London’s legendary Abbey Road Studios for a private, behind-the-scenes look at the first Abbey Road Studios Premium Audio Demonstration Vehicle. A mini-media tour also will include other premium audio systems, connectivity solutions and HUD and HMI technology. Panasonic with 60 years of automotive audio experience joined forces with Abbey Road Studios, considered the birthplace of stereo recording, to create the next generation of in-car sound experience. Space is limited.

NAIAS NewsFlash

I think Elon Musk is living in the frunk for 24 hours and will pop out unexpectedly when the press conference is about to start.

In reality I think the frunk has a second motor, extra battery cells or possibly both. The car would be turned off because the display would show a longer range on the dash.

A longer range announcement is probably bigger than the finalized X. I think more people are hesitant to purchase due to range concerns vs concerns of not fitting 7 adults in an SUV.

I think it 99.44% likely that there will be an AWD Model S available by the time your AWD Model X would be delivered. Given the fact that the two cars are built on the same skateboard, and there's plenty of room in the frunk to allow AWD motors, there's no engineering reason why the Model S chassis couldn't fit on the AWD skateboard.

It's all a question of timing.

If they release an AWD Model S in the next six months it's probably what we would order. The only thing that would hold me back if it's sold as a performance model only. I want a standard 85 with AWD. I'll pay extra obviously, but if it's only available as some $15k performance upgrade I'll most likely still get the X.