Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the Quickest Way to get a Wall Charger from Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just in case not everyone knows.I would like to mention that you don't necessarily need the Wall Connector right away. I have been charging my model 3 using a very ordinary 115 V plug. You can charge a model 3 essentially anywhere using the onboard mobile connector that comes with your car (in the trunk). Part of the reason it is so easy is that the charger is built into the car and you just need to provide some ordinary AC power to the charger and the charger will charge your battery.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H and brkaus
What's in a name?
I believe that the name, Wall Connector, is actually short for wall-mounted connector.
So that is in the same family as the Onboard Mobile Connector that you have in the trunk of your car. They are all connectors. Basically they are power cords that provide power to your on-board charger. So it might seem weird to pay $500+ install for a power cord, but that is what we are doing when we buy and install a HPWC (High Power Wall-mounted Connector).

The HPWC is a power cord that is weather proof and can provide 48 amps at 240 Volts, which is about 11,000 Watts (11 kW) or about ten times a typical hair dryer.

The HPWC is a power cord that is weather proof and can provide 48 amps at 240 Volts, which is about 11,000 Watts (11 kW) or about ten times a typical hair dryer.
The HPWC (WC) can provide up to 80a.

It also has built in load sharing between up to a total of 4 HPWCs.

It’s actually a pretty good deal in the world of connectors

Say what you wish. I do not get upset by your remarks, even your poor choices of nomenclature. Because the inaccuracies adds to the confusion for those newer than even you that follow.
Meh, I'm fairly new here and knew exactly what he meant. Why? Because I don't know of any other Tesla hardware they sell that goes on a wall that charges and normally utilizes an electrician...hence "wall charger".

Honestly, you think a newbie either interested or buying a Tesla will immediately know what "EVSE" means? Or that everyone here was completely lost by his question? It's bad enough you have to understand all of their others like: M3 (associated forever w/BMW), MS, MX, BTX, DU, EA, FSD, PUP, AP1+2+2.5.

"poor choices":rolleyes:

I've never learned Starbucks nomenclature either, yet I manage to get the charge I want there. English is pretty good for communication. It's strength is its flexibility. Jargon can be useful and is sometimes necessary, but as an aid to self-esteem it falls flat in my estimation. Cults find jargon useful because it separates their adherents from others.

Thanks again for those who answered my question. I'll pick up the device concerned from my service center this weekend. (I feel as if I'm writing something for the UN: the body of water that lies between land mass A and land mass B, sometimes referred to as X or Y.)

The local service center would not sell me one until I had a VIN assigned. They indicated that if it is tied to the VIN it is covered for the length of the car bumper to bumper warranty.

As I did not wait that long I ordered from the online store and had it around a week later.
Interesting... I did have a VIN assigned. I bought the car on Tuesday, Nov 13. They had a car for me on Thursday already (Nov 15). But I wasn't ready to receive the car that quickly -- I had a full day of meetings already scheduled and was going to be out the next week for Thanksgiving. So I arranged to have delivery on Monday Nov 26, and got the wall connector from the SC in the between period. I don't recall though if they asked me for my VIN; they probably looked up my account but I don't remember.

Buying online with free delivery is easiest. Is there any delay before they are shipped? Alternatively, are they available at Service Center?

My car is due in ten days. I'd like the charger ready and wonder when I can schedule an electrician.

I ordered a Wall Connector online on a Sunday, shipped the next day Monday - delivered on Thursday to Menifee, CA 92585. 20181201_115704.jpg

My licensed electrician neighbor installed today in time for M3 delivery on Tuesday.

...So it might seem weird to pay $500+ install for a power cord, but that is what we are doing when we buy and install a HPWC (High Power Wall-mounted Connector).

This is why I use the connector that came with the car. No extra payment, no extra installation. I plug into my garage's 220v outlet and charge at 32 amps on both cars. Why in the world do I need "high power charging"? I've got all night. Research shows that we only drive like about a half an hour a day.

This is why I use the connector that came with the car. No extra payment, no extra installation. I plug into my garage's 220v outlet and charge at 32 amps on both cars. Why in the world do I need "high power charging"? I've got all night. Research shows that we only drive like about a half an hour a day.

It’s fine you made that choice but there are legitimate reasons for installing the HPWC so you shouldn’t be so dismissive.

In my case I was going to have to install a new circuit for 240V in the garage, regardless of what I hooked up to it and it was not going to be trivially expensive so I just went ahead and did the HPWC. Then the mobile connector stays in my car at all times in case I need charging for unexpected reasons while I am out.

HPWC at $500 is less than 1% of the cost of the car itself, it is peanuts. It has some advantages such as being able to eventually daisy chain a second wall connector for another vehicle without having to run another circuit.

My wife just bought a new $2400 laptop. The second power supply she needed was $80, or about 3% of the cost of the laptop itself. Now that is a pricey accessory.

Reactions: eprosenx
Im in the Bay Area some of the Electricians have the Tesla Wall Connector on hand and could supply them immediately but as pointed out, in the Bay Area you can get them from Tesla fast - they usually deliver right away. Keep in mind, if you order the Model 3 MidRange then the onboard charger is limited to 32Amps continuous /40Amps peak. The Wall Charger can handle more but you can set it for the lower Amps for the MidRange. The Mobile Connector that comes with the care can handle this so you would not need the Wall Connector unless you wanted it for convenience/looks etc...

By comparison the Long Range on board charger is limited to 48Amps continuous / 60Amps peak. The mobile connector cannot go that high so if you wanted to charge at that level then you would need another connector like the Wall Connector.

Wall Connector and NEMA 14-50 on same circuit. This is not my own opinion. I am simply sharing what folks on TM's forum have said about this in threads there. Its not in accordance with electrical code. According to the discussion from some folks that researched the electrical code multiple items such as i n this case, the WC and 14-50 outlet are not permitted by code to be on the same circuit.

Part of the explanation as to why its not allowed is it presumes that both devices would be used at the same time and would overload the circuit. My argument in for this setup was it was no different than two-three 120 outlets on the same 15 amp circuit. They countered that because its a higher amperage circuit, it does not follow the same standard as 120.

I don't know the right answer. I can't argue for or against it. I like it too. I like the idea of having a 14-50 outlet as a backup connection on the circuit even if only using the Wall Connector set for a 50 amp circuit.

• Helpful
Reactions: thaita
Thats if you actually trust people on craigslist, which I dont.

Understood. I meet the owner and his name matches the shipping label info on the box, I pick up the sealed brand new Elon signature WC one less than $300 with no sale tax. I believe many Tesla owners received the WC as gift and most of them not going to install it, so the supply source quite clear.

Understood. I meet the owner and his name matches the shipping label info on the box, I pick up the sealed brand new Elon signature WC one less than $300 with no sale tax. I believe many Tesla owners received the WC as gift and most of them not going to install it, so the supply source quite clear.

Oh yeah I get you. I ordered one a WC, but I also self referred myself and have another referral in my account as well that is due to be delivered later this year, so I will have an "extra" one as well.

Not even sure what I will do with it, lol since I dont sell on craiglist etc. I might sell it to a co worker that I find out is getting a tesla or something.

Reactions: DUBM3