Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's with the snowflake?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The snowflake means that the battery is very cold and power and capacity will be limited.

First stage of cold: Limited or no regen available
Second Stage of cold: Available power is slightly reduced
Third stage of cold: The snowflake appears and power is seriously limited and no regen available

It hit -22 here yesterday and after the car sat in that all day, I’ve never driven a Tesla that gutless. I had zero regen and only about 50kW of drive power. I could barely get up to highway speed ...

It was added as part of a software upgrade. When the battery is cold the Snowflake is coupled with a blue section of battery (at least it was), and that amount of energy will be used to warm the pack up to the operating temperature. I've only seen it once after parking all day on a cold day.

• Informative
Reactions: PrGrPa
The snowflake means that the battery is very cold and power and capacity will be limited.

Third stage of cold: The snowflake appears and power is seriously limited and no regen available

It hit -22 here yesterday and after the car sat in that all day, I’ve never driven a Tesla that gutless. I had zero regen and only about 50kW of drive power. I could barely get up to highway speed ...

Curious did you pre heat the car at all?

I had a very similar situation this past weekend, parked outdoors and unplugged below -20c all day. I pre-heated the cabin for 20 mins before going out to it, and had no "snowflake" (in fact I've never seen it) and although my power and regen were both limited, the road itself was far more limiting and I had no desire to get anywhere near the power limit. (the power limit went away very quickly while driving, the regen limit, as usual, stuck around for quite a while)

It was added as part of a software upgrade. When the battery is cold the Snowflake is coupled with a blue section of battery (at least it was), and that amount of energy will be used to warm the pack up to the operating temperature. I've only seen it once after parking all day on a cold day.

so to clarify the snowflake replaced the blue portion of the battery indication?

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler

Can someone post a picture I assume it is shown on dashboard...

Don’t have a picture, but it is now a small blue snowflake to the left of the charge indicator in the lower left corner of the intstrument display.

Plus, with range mode on, preheating only preheats the cabin. With range mode off, preheating heats both the battery and the cabin. Very obvious in the power consumption - with range mode off the car draws 2-3 times the power compared to range mode at extremely low temperatures.

Here are some pics. It's cold up here!!!

Attachments

• IMG_2290.JPG
    IMG_2290.JPG
    298.4 KB · Views: 521
  • IMG_2291.JPG
    IMG_2291.JPG
    720.6 KB · Views: 410