Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just put 1800 miles on the car last week going down to Central California and back. Before I left I charged it to 100%, or just about. It didn't say it was done charging, but the line was at the end of the bar graph. Range was 298. I charged to 95% a couple of times on the trip when I had some extra time (eating meals while charging). When I got home with it set back to 90%, it charged to 269 miles. When I go over 90%, the next time it charges it goes to 269, but then settles in at 268 on subsequent charges.

I don't think I'll charge to 100% at home again. The battery was too full to do regen going down the hill.

I just put 1800 miles on the car last week going down to Central California and back. Before I left I charged it to 100%, or just about. It didn't say it was done charging, but the line was at the end of the bar graph. Range was 298. I charged to 95% a couple of times on the trip when I had some extra time (eating meals while charging). When I got home with it set back to 90%, it charged to 269 miles. When I go over 90%, the next time it charges it goes to 269, but then settles in at 268 on subsequent charges.

I don't think I'll charge to 100% at home again. The battery was too full to do regen going down the hill.
Strange, EPA Rated Range on your battery is 294 when brand new. Most have settled at 288-290 yet your getting 4 miles more than EPA. Something is off.

Strange, EPA Rated Range on your battery is 294 when brand new. Most have settled at 288-290 yet your getting 4 miles more than EPA. Something is off.

Maybe I got a batch of cells with a tiny bit more capacity than average? Here is the charge state at the start of the trip.

161004_01_TripStart.JPG

Reactions: Jurnimon
Maybe I got a batch of cells with a tiny bit more capacity than average? Here is the charge state at the start of the trip.

View attachment 198184
Highly unlikely but I have seen other cars on here where the algorithm was a little out of calibration. It would be interesting to see what yours is after driving it down to about 10 miles then doing a full uninterrupted 100% charge.

View attachment 198184
I would assume you would get less than expected range if you charged to 100% to get 298. Then as in the picture you moved the charge bar to 90% before the drive. Do you think it would restrict the amount of regen till your battery was below that 90% bar?

I would assume you would get less than expected range if you charged to 100% to get 298. Then as in the picture you moved the charge bar to 90% before the drive. Do you think it would restrict the amount of regen till your battery was below that 90% bar?

In another thread someone said regen is minimal when charge is above 95% and the charge level makes no difference.

Could be Range mode on vs. off setting

I have never turned on Range Mode.

Back to the 90% numbers again.
My 2016 S 90D now with 12,000 miles and 8 months old has a 90% of 243miles. Always charged to 90% and re-charged at around 25-30%. Is their any real evidence rather than 'gut feeling' that re-charging at 50% helps to improve the battery? I saw an earlier post a few weeks ago saying that charging to 95% for a while improve the 90% figure. Has this been verified by anyone else? Do you think that this is a real improvement or just a twist of the algorithm upping the numbers a little?

....and this is the favourite picture of my car when I called in at the Northampton (just north of London) Supercharger this summer....

4t.jpg

Best wishes from England.

I have read here on TMC that the BMS (Battery Mgmt. System) on the S begins to "balance" the cells when the modules exceed 92% state of charge. Apparently, there are small resistors that bleed off excess charge. This apparently brings all the cells to the same level. Then when you do a second charge beyond 92%, the entire pack recharges evenly. The so called balancing does take a period of time in days from what I have read. Some of the guys who were playing with the CAN bus software were able to graph the results, both before and after.

I have a P90DL, and charge to 50 or 60% most days as my use case for the car is normally about 43 miles per day. However I do recharge each day in a scheduled charge that starts at 5 AM. Normally by 6:30 AM or so, the car is at the desired state of charge. I have gone up to 100% once and that was 261 rated miles.... my 90% is now 233 and it was 241 when new about 7 months ago. So I have about a 3.3% degradation from when the car was new... that was about 9,900 miles.

On my S, each % is about 2.6 miles wide.... so if your error is at least that much depending if you are going up to 90% or coming down to 90%.... or whatever percent you charge at.

So you are recharging not very often it seems? Is the car plugged in at all times or not? I suspect it is not. Are you trying to minimize cycles of recharge? You know that every time you car regens, it is cycling... many forget that. From what I hear the Tesla likes to be plugged in when not in use, especially in cold weather.

Reactions: msnow and Jurnimon
From what I hear the Tesla likes to be plugged in when not in use, especially in cold weather.

Well it's not like the car trickle charges once it hits 90% to stay at that level of charge. (or whatever charge % setting you have it at). The car will stop charging once it hits your limit, and slowly discharge down to a certain point before the charger kicks in again.

I have my car set to charge to 90%, which is about 226 miles. Once it hits that, it will drop down to about 214 or less before the charger will kick on again and bring it back up to 90%.

I have read here on TMC that the BMS (Battery Mgmt. System) on the S begins to "balance" the cells when the modules exceed 92% state of charge. Apparently, there are small resistors that bleed off excess charge. This apparently brings all the cells to the same level. Then when you do a second charge beyond 92%, the entire pack recharges evenly. The so called balancing does take a period of time in days from what I have read. Some of the guys who were playing with the CAN bus software were able to graph the results, both before and after.

I have a P90DL, and charge to 50 or 60% most days as my use case for the car is normally about 43 miles per day. However I do recharge each day in a scheduled charge that starts at 5 AM. Normally by 6:30 AM or so, the car is at the desired state of charge. I have gone up to 100% once and that was 261 rated miles.... my 90% is now 233 and it was 241 when new about 7 months ago. So I have about a 3.3% degradation from when the car was new... that was about 9,900 miles.

On my S, each % is about 2.6 miles wide.... so if your error is at least that much depending if you are going up to 90% or coming down to 90%.... or whatever percent you charge at.

So you are recharging not very often it seems? Is the car plugged in at all times or not? I suspect it is not. Are you trying to minimize cycles of recharge? You know that every time you car regens, it is cycling... many forget that. From what I hear the Tesla likes to be plugged in when not in use, especially in cold weather.
One tiny nit. My understanding from wk057's analysis is balancing triggers at 93%. Everything else you said is spot on.

Reactions: jerry33