Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think your looking at EPA the wrong way. On an ICE it's also rarely achievable same as Tesla. Your EPA ratings on both an ICE and Tesla is static because it's based on a defined testing procedure. In other words you CAN reach it but conditions have to be the same or similar to what EPA used. A more realistic metric is to use expected range (which is based on your driving style and conditions) or what @Boatguy suggests.

My old Buick got about 2 mpg below the EPA rating when I was doing a lot of in town driving, but then I also lived on hills. On the highway through it consistently got the EPA rated mpg, it didn't seem to matter how fast I was driving either.

Tesla knows the shape of the curve, location of the median, standard deviation, etc. etc. Why not publish EPA and median with a description of how the median driver drives since Tesla knows their average speed, mix of freeway versus local, etc.?

If M3 owners get 13% less than the EPA number, there is going to be an uproar. It's in Tesla's interest to be as transparent as possible.

We know the S90D EPA number is 273 W/mi. I'll start a poll and see what the curve looks like. We'll let the numbers do the talking.

Here is the poll.

Nobody else in the car industry publishes EPA gas mileage and their own numbers.

I've found that how you drive and conditions affect range in EVs much more than in ICEs. It's the efficiency, when driving a car that is capable of 90% efficiency, everything will reduce your efficiency, but driving a car that is only 20% efficient under most conditions, environment will have less impact on the overall range.

I've gotten pretty close to rated range in my S. I don't see it in town, but I have on some short roadtrips range within 1-2 miles of the rated range.

Tesla knows the shape of the curve, location of the median, standard deviation, etc. etc. Why not publish EPA and median with a description of how the median driver drives since Tesla knows their average speed, mix of freeway versus local, etc.?

If M3 owners get 13% less than the EPA number, there is going to be an uproar. It's in Tesla's interest to be as transparent as possible.

We know the S90D EPA number is 273 W/mi. I'll start a poll and see what the curve looks like. We'll let the numbers do the talking.

Here is the poll.

There is the projected range on the energy graph. It's easy to compare that to the rated range. I don't use it much anymore because of the trip graph, but it's still there.

I don't believe it really matters what value is found for the median. Half of the people are going to be above, and the other half below. Also because there are more drivers in California, the results are going to be weighted to California driving, so the median found is likely to be inaccurate if you live elsewhere. (Might be higher or lower.)

Bear in mind the EPA number was never intended to indicate real world values--even though people use it that way. It was designed to be a tool for comparing cars before purchase. The correct way, in my opinion, to use it is:

A. Find the EPA number for your current car.
B. Get the actual number for your present car from your logbook.
C. Divide B by A.
D. Find the EPA number for the car you want to purchase.
E. Multiply D by C to get the number you can expect from the new car.
(Note: This only works if the EPA doesn't fiddle with the formula.)
F. Once you purchase a car, ignore the EPA number.

Example:
A = 30
B = 25
C = 25 / 30 = 0.83
D = 60
E = 60 * 0.83 = 50

When the Prius came out, a lot of folks complained it didn't get the EPA numbers--at the time the EPA used the Two Cycle program. I suspect that for many purchasers (and probably all the complainers) their Prius was the first time they actually knew what they were getting. Because most folks don't keep a logbook, they just assume they are getting the EPA numbers. That thinking is reinforced because the times they do check is typically on a trip where a tank of gas is used in less than a day. Typically highway driving is closer to EPA than commute driving or winter driving.

And there's one more thing. New Tesla drivers are likely to use full acceleration more frequently than those who have had the car for awhile. The 90 kWh battery is new so there are a larger proportion of new owners which will raise the median Wh/mi making the results seem further from the EPA numbers than they are.

And finally, if you don't keep the tire pressures up, Wh/mi will increase.

Reactions: LargeHamCollider

Here is the poll.

My mistake. I know it's not bell shaped (the curve) but progressively steeper as the speed goes up. But why is EPA not acceptable? Are you wanting Tesla to give out a number of expected miles at a certain speed? They can. But who knows what speed anyone drives? At least EPA is a defined course and speeds. Anyone can read it. And I always thought that EPA wH/mi was more like 285 or so. Either way, it only takes a few miles to find that most people like to go a lot faster than the speed limit. And get correspondingly worse range.

My mistake. I know it's not bell shaped (the curve) but progressively steeper as the speed goes up. But why is EPA not acceptable? Are you wanting Tesla to give out a number of expected miles at a certain speed? They can. But who knows what speed anyone drives? At least EPA is a defined course and speeds. Anyone can read it. And I always thought that EPA wH/mi was more like 285 or so. Either way, it only takes a few miles to find that most people like to go a lot faster than the speed limit. And get correspondingly worse range.
I think you were probably right that the distribution of real world mileage by owners is a bell curve, which is how I read your post. My question was about where is the median of that curve? Based on the small sample in the poll it looks like the median is much higher than I thought as it looks like my poll is collecting the left side of the curve. Or TMC participants all have a lead foot and live where they can routinely use it!

My concern / issue was with regard to Tesla's credibility and I expanded on that in the other thread.

Last edited:
I think you were probably right that the distribution of real world mileage by owners is a bell curve, which is how I read your post. My question was about where is the median of that curve? Based on the small sample in the poll it looks like the median is much higher than I thought as it looks like my poll is collecting the left side of the curve. Or TMC participants all have a lead foot and live where they can routinely use it!
In a coin toss, there is a 50/50 chance of heads or tails, but it could happen that tails comes up several times in a row. However, the odds on the next toss are still 50/50. Individual owners are similar. There might be several that are on the high end, but the next owner might not be. Using the population as a baseline doesn't work well, in my opinion, because it's hard to pick an average population, and an average population can vary between geographical locations. I don't see that there is a credibility issue here because Tesla uses the same five cycle test that every other car maker uses (and advertises). The real problem is that most people never know what they received from prior cars compared to the EPA numbers. When they purchase a car that doesn't let them get away with not knowing, they freak out because they don't get EPA. I've seen this happen many times over the past fifteen years.

I noticed something interesting since upgrading to 2.36.25 (and still the case on 2.36.31). My 90% rated range always stopped at 219.91 (showing 220 rated miles on the IC). Since 2.36.25, it's now stopped at 216.58 (showing 217 rated miles on the IC). My first 90% I could find on TeslaFi was from 7/5 when I was on 2.20.30 which shows 219.91. I haven't read a majority of this thread so I don't know if this happens often, but it seems like they changed the calculation in 2.36.25 and beyond. I'm curious if 2.36.108 has changed the rated miles. Has anyone who has 8.0 noticed a difference in their rated miles since upgrading?