Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For various reasons, I've been charging to 95 or 98% for the last month. Now, my 90% has crept back to 239 rated miles and my 100% is back to 264 rated miles on my classic S 85. I just recently went over 31,000 miles on my March 2014 build.
I believe you but Trip charging that frequently goes against everything I've learned and been told and to have it benefit you in miles is unbelievable. You don't say what you previous 90 and 100% was.

@msnow, my 90% had been fluctuating between 237 and 238 rated miles, and my 100% had dropped to 263 a few months back. I live on a 2nd floor condo, so my charging situation is "special", and it isn't fun to charge every day (my 50 foot, 50 Amp extension cord weighs about 50 lbs), so I usually only charge about twice a week. When I go "up top" to Haleakala, I charge more often.

Reactions: msnow
The EPA range for the original 85 was 265 miles and it's 259 for the 75D. The 75D is lighter, the dual drive is more efficient, plus the facelift nose is more aerodynamic. The 90D went from 288 to 294 from just the aerodynamic improvements.

Essentially the small battery S has caught up with the large battery S's original range.

The EPA range for the original 85 was 265 miles and it's 259 for the 75D. The 75D is lighter, the dual drive is more efficient, plus the facelift nose is more aerodynamic. The 90D went from 288 to 294 from just the aerodynamic improvements.

Essentially the small battery S has caught up with the large battery S's original range.
One correction, the 90D went from 286 to 294 because they changed the battery and part number. There are people in this forum who have that same battery on a pre-refresh car (without the aerodynamic changes) also getting 294.

@msnow, my 90% had been fluctuating between 237 and 238 rated miles, and my 100% had dropped to 263 a few months back. I live on a 2nd floor condo, so my charging situation is "special", and it isn't fun to charge every day (my 50 foot, 50 Amp extension cord weighs about 50 lbs), so I usually only charge about twice a week. When I go "up top" to Haleakala, I charge more often.

Just curious, how many miles do you regain coming back down to the coast 10,000 vertical feet from the top of Haleakala?

Due to my weekly driving pattern, I tend to charge to every level but 90%. Lately, my rated range has rallied surprisingly. Probably a combination of:

Summer heat

On weekends (when I typically drive 75-125 miles/day, vs. weekday 10), occasionally topping to 100% right before use and then skipping Saturday night charge while near 60% to allow Sunday use to drop it down to 10 - 20%.

Suspected algorithmic changes by Tesla.
Typical results:

2015 85D -- 23K Miles

% New Now

60 162 161-162
70 189 188
80 216 215
90 243 241-242
100 270 268-269
(Sorry about formatting. Spacing looks fine in text editor but gets crunched when posted.) :(

These numbers were much lower several months ago, even though temperatures here in SoCal were not that much cooler.

Last edited:
On the seven month mark, my 90% is now 233 rated miles with 9,470 miles.
When new the P90DL was at 241 rated miles, so a 3.3% degradation.

What I find odd is that my 100% is 259 now and was 262 when new, (1.1%) so less degradation at that state of charge???
What can be the explanation for that???

We are starting to get cooler weather here now.... daytime highs in the low 70's with mid 50's in the early AM. BTW, my normal charge limit on a typical day is 50% which is bumped up higher if longer trips are anticipated. My 50% is 129-131 depending on when and how the rated miles are captured.

Last edited:
On the seven month mark, my 90% is now 233 rated miles with 9,470 miles.
When new the P90DL was at 241 rated miles, so a 3.3% degradation.

What I find odd is that my 100% is 259 now and was 262 when new, (1.1%) so less degradation at that state of charge???
What can be the explanation for that???

Any measurement of battery capacity, other than running the battery to almost empty and then charging it to full a few times in a row (bad for the battery), is just an estimate. There is also battery balancing, and the estimation algorithm to be considered. Tesla seems to mess with Ideal range far less than Rated range, so you might get a more consistent number by using Ideal range.

Any measurement of battery capacity, other than running the battery to almost empty and then charging it to full a few times in a row (bad for the battery), is just an estimate. There is also battery balancing, and the estimation algorithm to be considered. Tesla seems to mess with Ideal range far less than Rated range, so you might get a more consistent number by using Ideal range.
Jerry, I never heard of anyone having success getting more accurate numbers by running the battery down then doing a full charge "a few times in a row". Have you tested this, does it work?

Jerry, I never heard of anyone having success getting more accurate numbers by running the battery down then doing a full charge "a few times in a row". Have you tested this, does it work?
This was done by Leaf owners to prove that the Leaf was actually losing a lot of range in hot climates (25% per year, which Nissan denied until it was brought to court). It's a bad idea to do this except in cases like this because it's very hard on battery life.

Reactions: msnow