Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the exact same numbers as @Sparrow (2012 P85, 17k miles). Hate it and no relief from my constant pinging of tesla service center.

do have similar usage patterns? have you been down to 0 miles or charge now?
that is really some minimal usage for 3 years. I think there is no way your pack is well balanced with that few miles for the period of time the batteries have existed

I have 23,000 miles on my car. Yes, I was pretty disappointed when the 100% charge ended at 228 (I thought it might spend some time balancing, but that was not the case) and then especially when the car started counting off the rated range right away too. That appears to be a loss of 22 miles of range (3 mile loss on screen + 19 miles before range started dropping the last time I did a range charge) in just 3 months. I will continue to believe that the car is just confused about the actual battery capacity, because I have not done any long distance driving in it for well over a year. In the last year, I think the most I have done is 80 miles in a day. Almost all of my driving is under 20 miles between charges.

• Informative
Reactions: Knightowl
do have similar usage patterns? have you been down to 0 miles or charge now?
that is really some minimal usage for 3 years. I think there is no way your pack is well balanced with that few miles for the period of time the batteries have existed

I have never been close to 0 (maybe 20 miles left), charge to 60% typically but have been trying 90% for a few weeks (have tried this off and on for a while now), rarely charge to 100% but did so this weekend (verified still horrible), and my daily commute is small maybe 20sh miles/day. I have tried several "tricks" asked by the SC to gain miles. It can't just be algorithms to account for this (but that's the story I have been given to this point).

I won't lie, this definitely weighs on me as I anxiously await my Model X and don't want a repeat of all this.

I got down to 40 rated miles a little over a year ago, but 90 rated miles has been the lowest I have gone since then. Usually I go no lower than 110.

Today I tried charging to 100% again. My daughter had an errand and I thought I could just get the car to 100% before we needed to leave. The car got to 227 rated miles and was still charging at over 60amps, but over the next 15 minutes or so the charge rate dropped to 40 amps (car indicated 5 minutes of charging left) and the rated range had not budged past 227. So I never got to a final 100% rated range number, but I did drive 7.5 miles before the rated range dropped below 227. That would indicate over 234 miles of range or 6 miles of rated range better than Sunday. I think I can still hold on to the hope that the car still needs some calibration given the limited charging level I have been regularly charging too (about 70%), the limited amount of driving I have been doing between charges of less than 20 miles and not going below 40% SOC for over a year.

Shouldn't be charging anywhere near 40 A at 100%. More like 5-10 A

I had the same experience. It would sit at 30 or 40 amps for several hours with the app saying "1 minute remaining". I would get concerned and just stop it. It was suggested that I let it sit and complete, so the next time I did, and it did eventually reach 100% and stop. Didn't recover any Rated Miles, however.

In my first S, I charged to 80%, thinking this would help the battery. This led to a steady decline in rated range displayed. But in my newer S (now 19,000 miles and almost a year old), I consistently charge to 90%, even on the weekends if I don't plan on driving much. By consistently charging to 90%, my numbers have held steady at 235-236 rated miles. (It was 241 when new. For a while I tried 80% charges, but after seeing the rated range start to decline from 241 when doing this, I switched back to 90%). I'm pretty sure that if I did a few more 100% charges and let them finish completely, the numbers would be even higher. (I've only done 4 100% range charges since I got the car).

Before Tesla introduced the range slider, recall that the default daily charge value was set to 90%. I think that their battery management/balancing and SOC algorithms still work best assuming nightly charge is done to 90%.

WTF... 70D, 90% only 211... This is like the 2nd time I ve charged to 90%... I charged to 100% like a couple weeks after getting the car and got 237... Do I just have a lower and normal battery?? :((

Usually keep battery between 65 to 80%... 80% has consistently been 187-188... Only 2k miles right now, average 299 power usage.

My Wife's 60 (vin 8xxx with 32k miles on it) is at 187
My 60 (vin 38xxx with with 22k miles on it) is at 175

I am a little concerned about my battery, after taking delivery of my wife's car and realizing that even with more miles and an extra year on it, hers is still in better shape than mine.

WTF... 70D, 90% only 211... This is like the 2nd time I ve charged to 90%... I charged to 100% like a couple weeks after getting the car and got 237... Do I just have a lower and normal battery?? :((

Usually keep battery between 65 to 80%... 80% has consistently been 187-188... Only 2k miles right now, average 299 power usage.

See my post literally right above yours. Your experience lends support to my theory.

Rest assured, you're not seeing real battery degredation--but the car's *estimation* of your range is off (or the pack's just out of balance).

- - - Updated - - -

My Wife's 60 (vin 8xxx with 32k miles on it) is at 187
My 60 (vin 38xxx with with 22k miles on it) is at 175

I am a little concerned about my battery, after taking delivery of my wife's car and realizing that even with more miles and an extra year on it, hers is still in better shape than mine.

How do your driving/charging habits differ? Do you both charge to the same amount each night? Who discharges the battery more on a given day? Who does more 100% charges?

In general I'm of the belief that:

1) Charging to 90% daily,
2) Doing a 100% range charge monthly (but not leaving it there),
and
3) Discharging the battery to 20-40% every once in awhile

will lead to the highest *indicated* range and best balanced battery. But again, that's just guess-o-meter stuff. Falling range on the gauge does not reflect battery degredation per se.

There's a driver around here that passed 100,000 miles on his pack and was only showing 3-5% degredation as I recall.

Interesting, did an almost 100% charge today (the meter has reached the 100% end but the full screen shows it's still charging at 25m/hr). I had to leave so unplugged it. It showed 235 miles. However at over 400 wh/mi usage (having to blow hard ac given 95 degrees weather to cool the car down) in the first 4+ miles, it didn't drop to 234 until about after 4.5 miles of driving (had trip meter on to monitor real time), which I would probably equiv to about 6 rated miles given the 400+ wh/mi power usage. So 100% should be just around 240, but the screen displays 235... Wonder if it ll learn/know to display a different number in the future.