Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I asked my Service Center about this a year or so ago when the big dip occurred. They told me that they ran some diagnostics and didn't find any problems with the battery. I didn't get any kind of report other than a note on the Service Order saying "operating as designed" or something like that and the conversation I had with them at the time.

Was told the same by my SC. I'm not convinced that my battery is "operating as designed". I just keep hoping they find something as they look at my car's logs every so often. (A pack, 85kWh, 18k miles, 210 rated miles at 90%, on 7.0)

Was told the same by my SC. I'm not convinced that my battery is "operating as designed". I just keep hoping they find something as they look at my car's logs every so often. (A pack, 85kWh, 18k miles, 210 rated miles at 90%, on 7.0)

Ouch. 210 at 90%? Is that the worst we've seen for an 85 kWh? What are your charging habits?

Ah, got it.

I have never been close to 0 (maybe 20 miles left), charge to 60% typically but have been trying 90% for a few weeks (have tried this off and on for a while now), rarely charge to 100% but did so this weekend (verified still horrible), and my daily commute is small maybe 20sh miles/day. I have tried several "tricks" asked by the SC to gain miles. It can't just be algorithms to account for this (but that's the story I have been given to this point).

I won't lie, this definitely weighs on me as I anxiously await my Model X and don't want a repeat of all this.

This worries me as charge to 80% on most days but lower my charge limit due to excessive heat. I've noticed this causes a loss of rated range upon returning to my normal 80%. It does not seem to restore or improve despite repeatedly charging to 80%.

Why is it that some folks claim to gradually gain range back and others don't?

I agree. But for now they are telling me they will continue to monitor even as I see on my Tesla App that the car hit a new low of 167 miles at 90% while they had the car for inspection.

My 60 is at just over 42k miles and is almost 29 months old... 90% is has been between 167 and 170 recently -- it bottomed out a few weeks ago and has been going up slowly since. Was 170 this morning...

What's this you speak of?

Hacking v7

Well, I did increase from 206 to 210 by charging to 90% regularly (or maybe it's the new firmware updates or some recent trips that exercised more of the battery for calculations or ...). @Sparrow and I have similar #'s, but I believe we are the worst of the 85's.

Right, forgot about sparrow. Seems like you guys might be going in for a module replacement sometime in the near future. Keep us posted.

I got mine up from 205 at 90% to 211 sometimes 212, by driving the car down to 17 miles left and then charging to 90% regularly for the last few weeks. It does not appear to want to go past 212 though. I was doing the same thing of charging to only 60 or 70% and then only driving 10 to 20 miles a day. I have not taken the car on any out of town trips in over a year so until I drove it down to 17 miles it had not been below 90 rated miles in all that time either.

@Amped - When did you lose most of your range? Was it after repeatedly charging <80%? Have you been able to regain any lost range?

My car is 26 months old with around 34,000 miles. My 90% used to be 228-230 miles for a long time. A few weeks ago, I charged only to about 70% that week. Afterward, my 90% charge dropped to 223 miles. After doing a couple of back-to-back 100% charges, my 90% charge is back up to 227, but still not at the 228-230 where it was a few weeks ago before I decided to drop to 70%. Just one month ago, my 100% charge during a road trip to San Diego was 255 miles. Now it is 252 miles.

I'm jelly of those who have the same or higher mileage as I do, but who have not lost any range after driving the same or more miles as I have. Maybe those cars or packs aren't as old as mine and that might have something to do with it.

Ok good to know. I'm waiting until some real winter time temps hit SoCal and then I won't worry about charging up to 90% each day so I can restore some range. We had a hot summer so I decided to reduce charge level to 70% - and boy did my range drop like a hot potato. It's odd that some can recover this lost range while others cannot.

70D also 214 when was at 90%. Only be charging to 50% though lately so chime in again at next 90% charge...

50% is netting just 120 or 119 rated miles though.

70D Update: 3 Months later, 50% charging daily, have had a couple range charges, back to 50% and it is still right at 119 (but not 120 anymore). We'll see...

Wandering if it is still good to charge to just 50% as really all I need? Maybe take it down to 35%-40% most days. Thinking of doing 60-75% here in Winter (or more if need). Still opinions that it is better to keep a lower SOC if only needed versus always 90% for longevity?

I've been doing 70% daily charges for the first 8-10k miles....and 90% range dropped from 244-245, down to 238-239.....ive been doing 90% the past couple months....haven't really done a full 100% complete charge...always been 99.9%.....hoping to gain back some range this winter doing 100% charges. Seems like charging to 90% daily instead of anything lower seems to be best for range displayed numbers... But I hope this doesn't indicate a battery degradation.

I've had my car (S 85) for 32 months and have driven it 51,000 miles. I normally charge to 80% daily and my rated range lately has been 185. Last night I charged to 90% and my rated range was 205. My last 100% charge was in August and it charged to 239.

At ~60k miles and 2y 8m, 90% is 222 and 100 is 236 Rated. 259/285 Ideal. So I have 95% capacity, but no idea of how much of that is imbalance as I normally charge to 80%. (note that the two calculations give different results. I'm pretty sure the Ideal is more accurate)

Wandering if it is still good to charge to just 50% as really all I need? Maybe take it down to 35%-40% most days. Thinking of doing 60-75% here in Winter (or more if need). Still opinions that it is better to keep a lower SOC if only needed versus always 90% for longevity?

Theory tells us that it is better for the life cycle of the battery compared to daily 90% charges. As to why that doesn't translate and owners don't see their numbers bounce back, well the jury's still out on that.

At ~60k miles and 2y 8m, 90% is 222 and 100 is 236 Rated. 259/285 Ideal. So I have 95% capacity, but no idea of how much of that is imbalance as I normally charge to 80%. (note that the two calculations give different results. I'm pretty sure the Ideal is more accurate)

Note that I've seen ideal as high as 309 miles on a new battery. Based on that, you'd be down more like 8%.

Note that I've seen ideal as high as 309 miles on a new battery. Based on that, you'd be down more like 8%.
I'm not convinced that the "extra" is anything more than display inaccuracy, because it goes away in a couple of days. And because SOC is mainly an educated guess, using the nominal values is likely to be as good as anything other than a destructive test.