Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Out of the blue; no firmware updates lately. I'd mentioned as recently as June 20th in this thread that I'd "climbed" (woo-hoo!) from 227 to 228, and it'd been showing 228 each morning ever since my earlier post. But then today, 230!

Now, I have been driving really carefully lately, obsessively keeping the Wh/mi as far below 300 as possible. Maybe this is the car's computer's way of saying it likes what it sees, so here's a little reward :)

Part of it could be that its been getting warmer everywhere. Many of us see our Rated Range tick up in the Summer and then drop again in cooler weather.

90D "refresh" delivered a week ago. 90% is 269 Miles.

Previous 2014 S85 @ 50.000 miles would show 242 miles @ 90% (264 miles @ 100%)

Okay, now I'm convinced something is up with my battery\car... My 90% is now down to 248 which is barely over your 85 90% and nowhere near your 90D 90% of 269... Hell mine at 100% is only at 274 IIRC (been a bit since I charged to 100%)...

Tesla, either there is a difference in the 90 battery you're selling now vs the one you sold me last year, or my battery has a defect... Sadly I don't have the patience to make a big fuss about this to my local service center. Besides, they're likely too busy to care anyhow.

Yes I'm frustrated.

Jeff

Okay, now I'm convinced something is up with my battery\car... My 90% is now down to 248 which is barely over your 85 90% and nowhere near your 90D 90% of 269... Hell mine at 100% is only at 274 IIRC (been a bit since I charged to 100%)...

Tesla, either there is a difference in the 90 battery you're selling now vs the one you sold me last year, or my battery has a defect... Sadly I don't have the patience to make a big fuss about this to my local service center. Besides, they're likely too busy to care anyhow.

Yes I'm frustrated.

Jeff
Jeff, I've confirmed they changed the battery and part number sometime between February and April this year. I've seen screenshots of the battery sticker to prove it. I'm in the same boat you are as far as range loss just not quite as bad. The "theory" is these refreshed batteries are locked 100 kWh battery packs which accounts for the higher capacity at 90% and 100% but still only using 90 kWh of the battery. Pure speculation but it would explain what we are seeing. Time will tell.

Last edited:
Yes time will tell, including whether or not I'll see fast degradation on mine. Also, it is highly possible that those numbers factor other optimizations made to the car (less weight, better aerodynamics with refreshed nose etc). The same KWh would then give higher rated miles to reach the new EPA rating of 294 miles for a 90D.

Yes time will tell, including whether or not I'll see fast degradation on mine. Also, it is highly possible that those numbers factor other optimizations made to the car (less weight, better aerodynamics with refreshed nose etc). The same KWh would then give higher rated miles to reach the new EPA rating of 294 miles for a 90D.
Except some of these batteries starting appearing before the refreshed cars.

Jeff, I've confirmed they changed the battery and part number sometime between February and April this year. I've seen screenshots of the battery sticker to prove it. I'm in the same boat you are as far as range loss just not quite as bad. The "theory" is these refreshed batteries are locked 100 kWh battery packs which accounts for the higher capacity at 90% and 100% but still only using 90 kWh of the battery. Pure speculation but it would explain what we are seeing. Time will tell.

Well that's a bummer... It's hard to get frustrated to the point of making noise as there isn't anywhere I go where range is ever going to really matter... On the other hand, I'm not getting the numbers I thought I was going to get... Or at least that's my perception..

I tried running the battery down to 0 but never could get it to the point of refusing to drive without the risk of backing out of my garage and not being able to get back in it again... I got it down far enough where the heater stopped producing heat... Charged back up to 90% and actually lost 2 miles of range... Go figure...

Jeff

Got a loaner car today

24,xxx VIN (9/13 build)
27k miles
85 RWD D pack
237 at 90%
Didn't do 100% charge (and don't plan to) but math says that should be right around 263

Have the loaner a little longer than planned (no complaints!) and heading out for a road trip.
Balanced the pack this week and now see 267 on 100% on this D battery

Well that's a bummer... It's hard to get frustrated to the point of making noise as there isn't anywhere I go where range is ever going to really matter... On the other hand, I'm not getting the numbers I thought I was going to get... Or at least that's my perception..

I tried running the battery down to 0 but never could get it to the point of refusing to drive without the risk of backing out of my garage and not being able to get back in it again... I got it down far enough where the heater stopped producing heat... Charged back up to 90% and actually lost 2 miles of range... Go figure...

Jeff
The only way I was able to bring mine up from 248@90% to 253/254 was to drive it down to about 10-20 miles and then charge it fully overnight to 100%. That triggered the battery management system in the battery. It doesn't trigger at 90%. Just F.Y.I.

My July 2015 85D 90% charging history, YTD. Most of the sudden changes were firmware updates, except the drop in May, which happened after I left the car parked for three weeks at 50% charge. Mileage is about 9000 and I usually charge to 90% every morning and use 15-20% a day. Car was 239 when new. There were 4-5 range charges with a few of them being deeper discharges.
Screen Shot 2016-07-12 at 7.21.43 PM.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jkk_ and JPUConn
My July 2015 85D 90% charging history, YTD. Most of the sudden changes were firmware updates, except the drop in May, which happened after I left the car parked for three weeks at 50% charge. Mileage is about 9000 and I usually charge to 90% every morning and use 15-20% a day. Car was 239 when new. There were 4-5 range charges with a few of them being deeper discharges.
View attachment 185149

How did you get that graph, does some tool autogenerate it or?

How did you get that graph, does some tool autogenerate it or?

I keep track of my daily charges in Numbers, an OS X spreadsheet app. The graph is a standard bar chart from Numbers, filtered on 90% charges, which most of mine are. I started doing this last December as I wanted a baseline and some trending.

Right now I am capturing Month, Day, Final %Charge, Starting %Charge, Rated & Ideal miles, kWh added, charge time and mileage as well as firmware updates. I use both Visible Tesla and Remote S to get the numbers.

Last edited:
Reactions: jkk_
Has anyone with a 70D took note of their 90% charge and then upgraded to 75D and check the 90% charge again?
I am wondering for what exactly I would be paying 3000€ .

I don't have a 70D, just a RWD S70, but my 90% varies between 208-211. I have only charged to 100% once, and got 231 miles.

I have only had the car for 3 weeks and haven't calibrated the battery (yet). That's next on my to-do list!

Reactions: Mihai