Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Jer!
Follow this link to my wH/m right after 8 months....#1641

Over the last 1000 miles I am at an average of 304 wH/m..... with a lifetime of 318 wH/m

On my P90DL I think the car is very sensitive to elevation gain and loss.
I have noticed this using Teslafi and noting that when a gross elevation gain is on a trip leg then wH/m are high and efficiency is low.
Likewise on a return leg my wH/m are low but never in the 230 range unless I am going downhill.

This last month is an optimum month however, as HVAC is minimally used and weather in the 60 F range.
Soon winter cold will set in with more HVAC use.
I have been on Range Mode for the last 3 weeks due to the colder weather.
I have noticed a lower rate of supercharging recently, perhaps down to 2.2 miles per minute vs 3.4 in the hotter summer months.
But I do not supercharge too often unless on a long trip.

Cheers, Art

Tesla's EPA range estimates are with Range Mode ON. That adds several miles. Make sure that setting is on if you are trying to compare with Tesla's numbers. This is according to Jerome Guillen when he was VP of Worldwide Service.
With my car , Range Mode ON adds just .36 of a mile. Granted mines a 90D and his is a85D but I can't see Range Mode adding that much more but who knows?

With my car , Range Mode ON adds just .36 of a mile. Granted mines a 90D and his is a85D but I can't see Range Mode adding that much more but who knows?

@msnow, in colder climates, Range Mode ON does throttle back power consumption in the HVAC heating and apparently the battery pack heating and cooling. So the environment where you live may have some different results with Range Mode and its effects on wH/m. I have Range Mode on solid for 5 months (November thru March) here in Connecticut.

@msnow, in colder climates, Range Mode ON does throttle back power consumption in the HVAC heating and apparently the battery pack heating and cooling. So the environment where you live may have some different results with Range Mode and its effects on wH/m. I have Range Mode on solid for 5 months (November thru March) here in Connecticut.
Sure, I understand how it works but I've never got 3+ more Rated Miles by toggling it, just .36 every single time even with temperature variation. Are you saying you do?

Sure, I understand how it works but I've never got 3+ more Rated Miles by toggling it, just .36 every single time even with temperature variation. Are you saying you do?
No, not by toggling, just actual over the road usage shows a marked improvement with Range Mode ON. Pretty hard to prove this in any manner other than watching TeslaFi numbers for commonly run routes. I have a few routes that are very repetitive and get a sense that my mileage with Range Mode OFF is higher vs ON.

No, not by toggling, just actual over the road usage shows a marked improvement with Range Mode ON. Pretty hard to prove this in any manner other than watching TeslaFi numbers for commonly run routes. I have a few routes that are very repetitive and get a sense that my mileage with Range Mode OFF is higher vs ON.
I use the iOS Remote S app which gives it to me instantly to the hundredth of a mile. I've tested it hundreds of times and on my 90D and it's always just .36.

I use the iOS Remote S app which gives it to me instantly to the hundredth of a mile. I've tested it hundreds of times and on my 90D and it's always just .36.
What does the rated miles indicator in the car read when you toggle between range mode on and off? In my case, when I switch to range mode on, I get a 2 mile increase in my rated miles. If I switch back to range mode off, then the extra 2 miles goes away. If you only see .36 mile increase in the Remote S app, then I assume you don't see any change in the whole number reading inside the car when you toggle. I don't use the Remote S app, so I don't have that comparison for myself.

Reactions: Brass Guy
What does the rated miles indicator in the car read when you toggle between range mode on and off? In my case, when I switch to range mode on, I get a 2 mile increase in my rated miles. If I switch back to range mode off, then the extra 2 miles goes away. If you only see .36 mile increase in the Remote S app, then I assume you don't see any change in the whole number reading inside the car when you toggle. I don't use the Remote S app, so I don't have that comparison for myself.
Tesla rounds up so if the .36 puts it at or over .50 it displays 1 more mile when toggled on. From what I've read and heard this number varies greatly by battery. The original classic cars got 3-5 more miles, you can get up to 2 (70D right?) while my 90D is .36. The "D" car's obviously benefit from the use of the front motor but I'm not seeing it on the display.