Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't often charge all the way to 90% - usually just 80%, but did so earlier today. 268. I've only once charged almost to 100% - that went to 298. It wasn't finished, but it had to be close. 2 month old S 90D, 4,500 miles.

FWIW, my 2010 Roadster Sport charges to 161 miles.

jareade, my MS is almost identical to yours, even in terms of milage.

I still do not understand why my 90% is only 250 mi.

Again, by filtering all the posts of owners of the 90D, I can identify two clusters: MS with 250 mi range @ 90% and MS with 270 @ 90%. If the mileage is associated to the driving style or other conditions, the distribution of these numbers should be continuous and not discrete with two bins.

I am wondering whether I have a faulty module. Do you know how many modules the battery has ?

jareade, my MS is almost identical to yours, even in terms of milage.

I still do not understand why my 90% is only 250 mi.

Again, by filtering all the posts of owners of the 90D, I can identify two clusters: MS with 250 mi range @ 90% and MS with 270 @ 90%. If the mileage is associated to the driving style or other conditions, the distribution of these numbers should be continuous and not discrete with two bins.

I am wondering whether I have a faulty module. Do you know how many modules the battery has ?

There seem to be some differences between early 90 packs and later 90 packs. The early packs appear to be degrading faster than the later ones. The cutoff is for cars built somewhere in the February - April 2016 timeframe. I'm not exactly sure where the break was.

I don't know how to explain it. There shouldn't be a difference and that's a substantial difference. Mine is a November 2016 build.

I believe there are 16 modules.

All large packs have 16 modules and all small packs have 14. The small packs are : 40, 60, 70, and 75 KWh. The large packs are 85, 90, and 100 KWh.

There seem to be some differences between early 90 packs and later 90 packs. The early packs appear to be degrading faster than the later ones. The cutoff is for cars built somewhere in the February - April 2016 timeframe. I'm not exactly sure where the break was.

All large packs have 16 modules and all small packs have 14. The small packs are : 40, 60, 70, and 75 KWh. The large packs are 85, 90, and 100 KWh.

wdolson, I see your point.

My 90 D has been built in July 2016 and since the beginning had this mileage (i.e., 250 mi @90%). Today, I went to the Tesla SC and asked whether my rated mileage is normal. They confirmed that the 90% should be in the order of 265 mi. So, they found my rated mileage odd. I asked whether this can be caused by a faulty module, and they told me a faulty battery module triggers a main alarm to the driver.

They are looking at the car's logs and will call me back tomorrow.

About ready to turn over 92K miles on my early '13 S85.

90% is about 228 rated miles.

Interestingly, when I posted this last week, it was based on my list 90% charge, which was a week or 2 before that. What's more, I typo'd that post, and it should have been ~227 rated miles

What's more interesting, is that I did a couple of 90% charges this last weekend, and I'm suddenly at about 221-222 miles.

I've had a sudden 5 mile drop in the space of a couple of weeks. I haven't seen anything like that since I first got the vehicle.

The SOC sits between 30-75% on weekdays. I charge to 90% on the weekends. I rarely charge to 100%, and supercharge (also typically only to 80-90%) once every few months. I rarely drive below 50 miles range left.

So at this point I'm wondering if I have a real capacity drop, or if the system is out of calibration for estimating range due to not seeing the extremes of my SOC range in a long while. I've had times where it seems calibration hs been off by a a couple of miles, but not by this much, or seemingly this sudden.

I charged to 93% Sunday morning to try and kick off a balance cycle. I may also aim for a 100% SOC next time I'm heading on a trip just to see what the computer does.

Interesting...

My car is still only a few months old (delivered in Dec), but I regularly charge to 90% nightly and have charged to 100% about 9 or 10 times for various day trips with the family. My car actually attains a higher SOC now than it did when I first took delivery. Initially I was typically getting around 283-284 as my 90% but now I regularly see 285-286, and my 100% was initially 316 on my delivery date (the SC had it charged to 100% at delivery) but now I often see 317 or even 318.

Just received a call from the SC. They looked at the log of the battery, modules etc. All appear to be fine (no faults, no warnings from the modules). They also compared the performances (i.e., range estimated vs actual) of my pack with respect to those of the 90D fleet and they are within the standard deviation of the average ones. In summary, the construction batch of my battery pack has an energy density slightly below the rated value.

IMG_0720.JPG
100D 90%

Interestingly, when I posted this last week, it was based on my list 90% charge, which was a week or 2 before that. What's more, I typo'd that post, and it should have been ~227 rated miles

What's more interesting, is that I did a couple of 90% charges this last weekend, and I'm suddenly at about 221-222 miles.

I've had a sudden 5 mile drop in the space of a couple of weeks. I haven't seen anything like that since I first got the vehicle.

The SOC sits between 30-75% on weekdays. I charge to 90% on the weekends. I rarely charge to 100%, and supercharge (also typically only to 80-90%) once every few months. I rarely drive below 50 miles range left.

So at this point I'm wondering if I have a real capacity drop, or if the system is out of calibration for estimating range due to not seeing the extremes of my SOC range in a long while. I've had times where it seems calibration hs been off by a a couple of miles, but not by this much, or seemingly this sudden.

I charged to 93% Sunday morning to try and kick off a balance cycle. I may also aim for a 100% SOC next time I'm heading on a trip just to see what the computer does.

Interesting...

Did another 90% today. 202 miles. That's ~25 miles loss in the space of a few weeks.

I think we are seeing a pack failure in process.

I have a service center appt in a week.

Did another 90% today. 202 miles. That's ~25 miles loss in the space of a few weeks.
I think we are seeing a pack failure in process.
I have a service center appt in a week.
When I visited the Gigafactory opening, this was mentioned by one Tesla person. We were discussing how my 2012 Model S pack lost some mileage in the first year or two, then leveled off. The reply was that it would remain level for a long time, but then may suddenly drop each week and continue to drop. IMHO, if it occurs, thankfully it will happen slow enough to get service.

My new MS 90D that entered production on 3/18 has 264 miles @ 90%. Finding a date of 3/7/17 on a carpet mat verifies the great new car smell.

When I visited the Gigafactory opening, this was mentioned by one Tesla person. We were discussing how my 2012 Model S pack lost some mileage in the first year or two, then leveled off. The reply was that it would remain level for a long time, but then may suddenly drop each week and continue to drop. IMHO, if it occurs, thankfully it will happen slow enough to get service.

My new MS 90D that entered production on 3/18 has 264 miles @ 90%. Finding a date of 3/7/17 on a carpet mat verifies the great new car smell.
Slow enough to get service, yes. But enough of a pace to qualify as failure and not degradation?
We shall see.

Yesterday's 90% = 195 miles.

Talked to a service center tech I have a good relationship with. His opinion is that it's likely I have a bad module dragging down the pack.

Just to eliminate possible calibration wonkiness, I'm gonna drive it down as close to 0% SOC as I can, and then do a 100% charge over the weekend and see what happens.

Yesterday's 90% = 195 miles.

Talked to a service center tech I have a good relationship with. His opinion is that it's likely I have a bad module dragging down the pack.

Just to eliminate possible calibration wonkiness, I'm gonna drive it down as close to 0% SOC as I can, and then do a 100% charge over the weekend and see what happens.
I have a similar problem with my S60. The Service Center tech I spoke with said he thought it was due to my home charge pattern, mostly upper middle of the pack and almost never to 90% (because I need regen). [He also suggested it might be because I am running firmware 7.1. Right.] So, just returned from a recent road trip with numerous charges to 90-95% and driving down to 5-10% over two weeks. No significant change in RM @ 90%.

Had another service center guy tell me that the displayed RM varies depending on one's driving patterns. Huh? I though RM was supposed to be some sort of battery capacity proxy. I can see a charging pattern making that measurement difficult, but a driving pattern? At this point I don't know what to believe or what to say. The reduced range is making some of my longer trip legs more difficult.

I will be very interested to hear what the resolution of your problem turns out to be. Might be the same for me if I can convince the Tesla techs there is a problem. I'm down about 13% on a three year old car with 29k miles.

• Informative
Reactions: scaesare
I have a similar problem with my S60. The Service Center tech I spoke with said he thought it was due to my home charge pattern, mostly upper middle of the pack and almost never to 90% (because I need regen). [He also suggested it might be because I am running firmware 7.1. Right.] So, just returned from a recent road trip with numerous charges to 90-95% and driving down to 5-10% over two weeks. No significant change in RM @ 90%.

Had another service center guy tell me that the displayed RM varies depending on one's driving patterns. Huh? I though RM was supposed to be some sort of battery capacity proxy. I can see a charging pattern making that measurement difficult, but a driving pattern? At this point I don't know what to believe or what to say. The reduced range is making some of my longer trip legs more difficult.

I will be very interested to hear what the resolution of your problem turns out to be. Might be the same for me if I can convince the Tesla techs there is a problem. I'm down about 13% on a three year old car with 29k miles.
So are they claiming that's normal degradation despite the fact you've driven to reasonable pack extremes to help eliminate calibration?