Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel alignment issue on new Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just took delivery of a brand new Model 3 less than 3 weeks ago. Over the last couple of weeks, I came to realize that the steering wheel is slightly off center when the car is driving straight. The misalignment is small, so I didn't catch it on the delivery day. But now I have seen the misalignment, it has become glaring every time I step into the car.

Concerned that this indicates a wheel alignment issue, I contacted Tesla for a service. They gave me an estimate of $275 for the service, even though the car is only two weeks old! I messaged them arguing that the service should be covered under the warranty, but they have ignored my message so far...

Does this off-centered steering wheel actually indicate a problem? If so, should I keep pushing them about the warranty?

Attachments

• 20230207_091905.jpg
    20230207_091905.jpg
    555 KB · Views: 918
Tesla's factory alignments are commonly trash. A friend just got an M3P and the wheel was off, and I checked his alignment and the whole car was totally messed up. I had to adjust 3 of the 4 wheels

You have two options: Fight them, which likely involves you agreeing to pay $275, and then them seeing the actual alignment, and then agreeing it was out of spec for a new car. A car going out of alignment is not generally a warranty issue, so it's a bit of a fuzzy area.

Second option is to just go to any good alignment place and pay $100 to have it fixed and just accept that this is a cost of having a new Tesla and move on.

Tesla's factory alignments are commonly trash. A friend just got an M3P and the wheel was off, and I checked his alignment and the whole car was totally messed up. I had to adjust 3 of the 4 wheels

You have two options: Fight them, which likely involves you agreeing to pay $275, and then them seeing the actual alignment, and then agreeing it was out of spec for a new car. A car going out of alignment is not generally a warranty issue, so it's a bit of a fuzzy area.

Second option is to just go to any good alignment place and pay $100 to have it fixed and just accept that this is a cost of having a new Tesla and move on.
I'm leaning toward the first option. Besides messaging Tesla in the app (and getting ignored), is there any other way of reaching them?

I had the same issue when I got my current M3. First of all, everything will always come with a quote no matter what. If service determines that this is a warranty issue they'll waive the cost. So it's not unusual that it looks like they want you to pay for it.

When I contacted them I told them that the issue existed from the get go and that I have not hit a pothole or curb or anything. Chances are that if they don't see any damage on the wheels that they will believe you and do the wheel alignment for free.

Service Centres have been known to assess the same thing differently, so your mileage may vary.

If the SC is not terribly far away you can still make an appointment and have them confirm that this will be covered under warranty on e you speak to an actual person. If they won't do that you can still walk out and go elsewhere.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lindenwood
My steering wheel looked exactly like that. But the car was tracking straight. The service person gave me a wheel alignment cost saying that I exceeded 150 km since delivery so the cost was on me. I explained that I didn’t hit anything and I had the car for 2 weeks with 800 km. I only noticed it after driving on a straight freeway. They said they will look at the car and see what’s wrong. So I took the car in and a wheel alignment was done and the invoice showed $0. Steering wheel is straight now.

My steering wheel looked exactly like that. But the car was tracking straight.
That's because Teslas quickly learn to apply some steering angle to make the car track straight (but quietly eat tires).
One can go into the service mode, and take a snapshot of this learned correction in the suspension menu, and add that to the service request.

I did check the alignment on my '23 M3P that I've barely driven yet, and there is nothing in the learned adjustment. I also did measure the alignment, and it appears to be in-spec. Tons of rear toe-in...

When my new (<800 miles) Model 3RWD was towed to a SC (dead inverter) the first things done were tire tread depth check, tire pressure check and a 4 wheel alignment. Weird, but hey, it's Tesla. They left a printout of the before and after settings which showed three settings out of spec. To no one's surprise the steering wheel is now slightly off center where before it was exactly centered. The off center steering wheel does not indicate a misalignment. Anyway, that's something I can easily fix if decide to keep the car.

That's because Teslas quickly learn to apply some steering angle to make the car track straight (but quietly eat tires).
One can go into the service mode, and take a snapshot of this learned correction in the suspension menu, and add that to the service request.

I did check the alignment on my '23 M3P that I've barely driven yet, and there is nothing in the learned adjustment. I also did measure the alignment, and it appears to be in-spec. Tons of rear toe-in...
I just had the same problem with my new Model 3P (about 400 miles) Car goes straight but steering wheel offset 5 degrees clockwise. Both driver side wheels needed toe adjustment, which the service center did at no charge, after a little nudging, then the steering wheel was straight too. I think the SC did a good job but the factory alignment not so good.
I do not recommend leaving the steering wheel crooked, it's compensating for misaligned wheels and tires will wear unevenly.

I just took delivery of a brand new Model 3 less than 3 weeks ago. Over the last couple of weeks, I came to realize that the steering wheel is slightly off center when the car is driving straight. The misalignment is small, so I didn't catch it on the delivery day. But now I have seen the misalignment, it has become glaring every time I step into the car.

Concerned that this indicates a wheel alignment issue, I contacted Tesla for a service. They gave me an estimate of $275 for the service, even though the car is only two weeks old! I messaged them arguing that the service should be covered under the warranty, but they have ignored my message so far...

Does this off-centered steering wheel actually indicate a problem? If so, should I keep pushing them about the warranty?
I have the exact same issue on my new M3 LR. The SC did the wheel alignment and confirmed it was really off center. However the steering is now pointing way to the left (before it was to the right). What makes the situation worse is that the vehicle now shakes at moderate speeds. I did not have this before Tesla did the alignment. Reading elsewhere, it could be that the wheels need to be balanced and/or there is an issue with one or more of the tires with loose foam. I reached out to the SC and they now want a $150 diagnosis fee to see what is happening 😩. Car has just over 2500 miles.

Check your alignment on the Service menu. open the software tab and hold 3 until it asks for password type service and check it there
This does not check the alignment of the car in a way that affect alignment. This can read perfect and your alignment could be so far off that it would destroy tires in 1-2K miles. Do not rely on this in any way except to center the steering wheel, which is a minor part of a correct alignment.

Same here, I have a Feb 2023 Model 3 Base model and when I picked it up, the car was pulling to the right. Opened a ticket in the app and the alignment is was covered under warranty (upon appt check-in). It's improved, but still not tracking straight. Not sure what my next steps are. SC doesn't seem to think it's a problem.

Same here, I have a Feb 2023 Model 3 Base model and when I picked it up, the car was pulling to the right. Opened a ticket in the app and the alignment is was covered under warranty (upon appt check-in). It's improved, but still not tracking straight. Not sure what my next steps are. SC doesn't seem to think it's a problem.
My ride quality has deteriorated ever since SC did the alignment. Perhaps they need to rebalance the wheels. Have an appointment next week. This will probably say all is well and charge me a diagnostic fee. Terrible!

My ride quality has deteriorated ever since SC did the alignment. Perhaps they need to rebalance the wheels. Have an appointment next week. This will probably say all is well and charge me a diagnostic fee. Terrible!
Alignment has nothing to do with ride quality. Most likely culprit is the service center over inflating your tires, check the PSI. Wheels don't need to come off for an alignment so it's also very unlikely that wheel weights were knocked off.

My car came misaligned as well, and the local service center quoted $372.50 to do a "General Diagnosis" and an alignment. I started a poll regarding alignment issues - Tesla Alignment Rubbish

Last edited: