Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When does version 7.0 beta come out?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't see how the current sensor package can accommodate parallel parking. Unless the curb is unusually high, the sonar doesn't trigger at all when I parallel park.

As far as promises go, there are 691 other promises I'd like to see fulfilled first.

I would tend to agree with @spentan's thinking--we should see a continuation of the 6.x release train this summer. I think we will see 7.x released at the same time as the MX as presumably the new vehicle with have features, HW etc that will require a UI refresh and changes under the hood.

As an owner of a classic MS (i.e. prior to parking sensors), I am happy to see continual updates to my car, but I also recognize that at some point, major updates (7.x, 8.x, etc) are no longer going to be applicable to my car because the HW will have changed so much, but I do expect Tesla will continue "dot updates (6.3, 6.4, etc) with bug fixes and feature enhancements/refinements (USB shuffle, etc). We are pretty close to that point now as 90% of what is coming out in updates pertains to HW I do not have (autopilot, dual motors, etc).

Last edited:
I don't see how the current sensor package can accommodate parallel parking. Unless the curb is unusually high, the sonar doesn't trigger at all when I parallel park.

As far as promises go, there are 691 other promises I'd like to see fulfilled first.

If the car dimensions are known and you pull up next to the car in front of you, you have parking sensors in the front and rear bumpers, it should be able to parallel park without hitting the curb at the same distance from the curb as the car in front of you, no?

If the car dimensions are known and you pull up next to the car in front of you, you have parking sensors in the front and rear bumpers, it should be able to parallel park without hitting the curb at the same distance from the curb as the car in front of you, no?

What if there are no cars in front or back? How could it determine how close the car in front is to the curb? What if the car in front is 3 feet out? I parked in front of a Toyota truck the other night that was sticking out about 3 feet. Good for me because it provided a side swipe shield for me but even if the sensors could determine how wide and close to the curb that car was, I wouldn't want to have it park far away from the curb just because someone else did.

What if there are no cars in front or back? How could it determine how close the car in front is to the curb? What if the car in front is 3 feet out? I parked in front of a Toyota truck the other night that was sticking out about 3 feet. Good for me because it provided a side swipe shield for me but even if the sensors could determine how wide and close to the curb that car was, I wouldn't want to have it park far away from the curb just because someone else did.

If there is no car in front or back, why would you need the car to self park? You just stop and leave.

The other option is for the software to use the rear camera to gauge distance from the curb (yes, the strawman argument is a curved curb)

I don't have an answer as to how they're going to do it, but I believe that given the current suite of hardware (between the parking sensors, the front radar, the rear view camera), it should be possible to do in most cases.

I agree. Certainly, the front sensors seem to recognize bumper blocks and curbs when you park forwards, but as you get closer to the curb, those obstacles appear to fall out of the field of view. The front spoiler is lower than typical and doesn't look like it will clear a typical 6" curb... so I'm extra careful. At times I've wondered if the early recognition of a lower obstacle (curb) is still in mind when it falls out of view, because I've been told to STOP! a few times when the screen shows the next obstacle distance well outside the danger zone. Maybe the logic then looks at distance traveled and recognizes when you should be hitting the obstacle no longer seen. But that won't help for parallel parking unless they do some serious trigonometry!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm with you on that. They might as well advertise a flying car. One day it'll be real.
Apparently in October! The Model X has Falcon Wings (doors)... :cool:

To be fair, Tesla advertised it as "Self-Parking" not "Parallel Parking". I still think it's doable for parallel parking, but you might be right.

Totally not true:

Model S | Tesla Motors

"Model S helps you find a parking spot and automatically parks in it. In the city, it will notify you when it finds a parallel parking spot, then control steering, acceleration and deceleration to back smoothly into it. When approaching a Supercharger station, Model S automatically parks in an open stall. Model S will even park itself in your garage at home."

I bought the MS with the understanding that it would have this future in the near future. I suck at parallel parking.

Last edited:

This is TOTAL speculation, but maybe it can use the rear camera? The fisheye makes it almost useless for normal self-driving tasks, but it's great for seeing curbs while parking. I don't know if the image processing stuff is yet to the point where it can autonomously detect curbs like that, but it doesn't seem completely out of the question.

Another possibility would be that the parking sensors can pick up curbs using more subtle data than what they display. We get a pretty simple yes/no on an obstacle, plus range, but the raw data is probably more nuanced. Maybe curb location can be reliably extracted from that raw data even if it doesn't get reliably turned into "you're about to hit something" on the dashboard.

I can totally do without self-parking, just please release auto-steer already!!

I can do without self-parking, but I would like self-unparking :)

I hate using my front door, but I will use it every day just for the pleasure of seeing my car pull out of my garage and pick me up in front of my house. If they add a greeting then I'd lose it every morning.

Car: Good morning Peter, how did you sleep?
Me: I slept really well you sexy electric beast
Me: You're at 90% capacity so it looks like you also slept well

Next week can't arrive soon enough and self-unparking is something I really look forward to. I can see by my made up conversation, this car may be the death of my sanity... :)

I agree. Certainly, the front sensors seem to recognize bumper blocks and curbs when you park forwards, but as you get closer to the curb, those obstacles appear to fall out of the field of view. The front spoiler is lower than typical and doesn't look like it will clear a typical 6" curb... so I'm extra careful. At times I've wondered if the early recognition of a lower obstacle (curb) is still in mind when it falls out of view, because I've been told to STOP! a few times when the screen shows the next obstacle distance well outside the danger zone. Maybe the logic then looks at distance traveled and recognizes when you should be hitting the obstacle no longer seen. But that won't help for parallel parking unless they do some serious trigonometry!

- - - Updated - - -

I test Tesla's sensors every day when I park in my garage. I have a generous 3 inches of space before I crash into my garage stairs (i've installed floor bumpers just in case). I can tell you with certainty that the sensors can't/don't pick up something as short as 6 inch curbs successfully. In fact, it can only sense the second stair step, which is above 6 inches. I was surprised/disappointed by this, given most cars including my RAM 1500 have very accurate sensors. In fact, many times my Tesla freaks out screaming STOP when I'm still a reasonable distance from an object... I think this car is near perfect, but the sensors comparably (for me at least) underwhelming and even the eagle eye view isn't very helpful.

I can do without self-parking, but I would like self-unparking :)

I hate using my front door, but I will use it every day just for the pleasure of seeing my car pull out of my garage and pick me up in front of my house. If they add a greeting then I'd lose it every morning.

Car: Good morning Peter, how did you sleep?
Me: I slept really well you sexy electric beast
Me: You're at 90% capacity so it looks like you also slept well

Next week can't arrive soon enough and self-unparking is something I really look forward to. I can see by my made up conversation, this car may be the death of my sanity... :)

Lol, love the greeting idea. I've always though Tesla should have some sort of interactive voice. What do you believe is happening next week?

So, have Tesla pushed out the auto-steering (6.3?) beta to Early Access yet?

...and yes, I know anyone in the programme is under strict NDA etc. I'm not asking who is testing it, whether its good or not, what it includes, I simply want to ask (given that it was publicly announced that the 'public' beta trials would start at towards the end of June) whether Tesla are on track and have managed to get the beta out the door? If so, it gives the rest of us hope that a general release is getting closer.

Thanks

...and yes, I know anyone in the programme is under strict NDA etc. I'm not asking who is testing it, whether its good or not, what it includes, I simply want to ask (given that it was publicly announced that the 'public' beta trials would start at towards the end of June) whether Tesla are on track and have managed to get the beta out the door? If so, it gives the rest of us hope that a general release is getting closer.

I suspect that even the availability of early releases is also included in non-disclosure.

Thanks

Maybe :tongue: