Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

when is good time to swap to all season tire from winter tire ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dependent on policy, the debate last year was clarified as such, you cannot be denied insurance for not having snow tires, but they will reclaim the discount applied and risk increased premiums or not being re-insured. If you don’t drive, it’s a non issue as to what is fitted.

Reactions: akidesir
Was at Tesla service in Mississauga today - it was a ghost town. Never seen so many loaners. They are having service cancellations all over so they can fit you in. My wife didn’t want me to come either but they’re set up quite safely and I’ll Lysol wipe the hell out of my car when i get it back. Didn’t touch a loaner though. Note there’s no place to wait here currently so you’ll have to find something to do/someone to pick you up.

Well. I couldn’t resist. Just got rims back from powder coating. Lowered and spaced. Happy camper.
547004F4-5D9F-43DB-8AC3-195C350058F3.jpeg

Was at Tesla service in Mississauga today - it was a ghost town. Never seen so many loaners. They are having service cancellations all over so they can fit you in. My wife didn’t want me to come either but they’re set up quite safely and I’ll Lysol wipe the hell out of my car when i get it back. Didn’t touch a loaner though. Note there’s no place to wait here currently so you’ll have to find something to do/someone to pick you up.
they suspend all test driving. I think that explains why many loaners

They look great. Where did you do them and how much?

Unionrim.com. It took about 2 weeks. Was 670. That included $80 for the tire mounting and 90 to straighten 2 bent rims. When you drop them off they put them on a machine in front of you to make sure they are straight. I didn’t realize 2 of mine were bent. They also cleaned up some scuff marks from curbing too. Very satisfied with their work.

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
Unionrim.com. It took about 2 weeks. Was 670. That included $80 for the tire mounting and 90 to straighten 2 bent rims. When you drop them off they put them on a machine in front of you to make sure they are straight. I didn’t realize 2 of mine were bent. They also cleaned up some scuff marks from curbing too. Very satisfied with their work.

That's a better price than I paid. I paid $700 for all four, with not straightening (not that it was checked - it just wasn't done). Granted, I was very happy with the work and the end product.

Reactions: JamstationP85D
Could take them off April 1st (we daily travel on highways that require them), but probably not until May 1st in case we go to Vancouver (always a possibility, and again requires winters until that date). Only once I've seen it snow after the legally required dates, and that really only made the roads wet.

welp looks like kaltire is only doing emergency services now, might be stuck on winters all summer at this rate

Note that swapping tires if your current ones are too worn is considered an emergency service, as is filling your tires with air. Basically, anything you need, they're still open for, even if it's just air.

Rule of thumb is change the tires when the sustained temp is above/ below 7 degrees Celsius

7C when you drive, so for the mornings that's not the same as your daily high temperature in case anyone wants to follow this rule. Of course, this means being fine in the morning and melting your tires on the way home later usually :D

Well. I couldn’t resist. Just got rims back from powder coating. Lowered and spaced. Happy camper. View attachment 525675
It looks fantastic my friend! We have to meet up once the Covid scourge is under control for a photo shoot!

1. Where did you get the CF vinyl for the trunk chrome trim? Did you install it yourself?
  2. Have you got your new bumper on yet?

I need to get my winter tires swapped out as well as the annual brake service.

I had an appointment for today at KalTire in Milton, however the guy I spoke with yesterday (Nathan) must have misunderstood me and thought I was just swapping out the rims/tires for a second set. Even though I clearly explained the all season tires will be installed on the same rims as I don't have a second set of rims yet. Anyway, they don't have a "tire guy" in today and can only do the brake service. Needless to say I had to reschedule to Thursday next week.

Looking for another shop now that can hopefully do it sooner than next Thursday.

It looks fantastic my friend! We have to meet up once the Covid scourge is under control for a photo shoot!

1. Where did you get the CF vinyl for the trunk chrome trim? Did you install it yourself?
  2. Have you got your new bumper on yet?

I need to get my winter tires swapped out as well as the annual brake service.

I had an appointment for today at KalTire in Milton, however the guy I spoke with yesterday (Nathan) must have misunderstood me and thought I was just swapping out the rims/tires for a second set. Even though I clearly explained the all season tires will be installed on the same rims as I don't have a second set of rims yet. Anyway, they don't have a "tire guy" in today and can only do the brake service. Needless to say I had to reschedule to Thursday next week.

Looking for another shop now that can hopefully do it sooner than next Thursday.

I bought the carbon fibre trim from RPM TESLA (took 10 days for delivery so not bad). The carbon wrap as well as the red lettering (separate product). Keep in mind that they changed the rear applique that has the Tesla lettering at some point so if you have had it replaced on an older car they will use the new part as the replacement (the letters are a different size so you NEED to measure before you order). Mine was changed when they replaced a taillight (which is why I had to redo mine). The install wasn't too bad.

And YES! I installed the TSportline FBR (front bumper) last Sun. I did it myself (against their recommendation). Just need to paint the front emblem and install it (I found the vinyl sticker I had on there wasnt handing the elements very well). So happy with the results.

That SUCKS about having to wait for your tires. I am so happy with my powdercoating job. The new red centre caps also added a nice touch (since I have red accents).
IMG_2658.jpeg IMG_2662.jpeg IMG_2641.jpeg IMG_2646.jpeg

I bought the carbon fibre trim from RPM TESLA (took 10 days for delivery so not bad). The carbon wrap as well as the red lettering (separate product). Keep in mind that they changed the rear applique that has the Tesla lettering at some point so if you have had it replaced on an older car they will use the new part as the replacement (the letters are a different size so you NEED to measure before you order). Mine was changed when they replaced a taillight (which is why I had to redo mine). The install wasn't too bad.

And YES! I installed the TSportline FBR (front bumper) last Sun. I did it myself (against their recommendation). Just need to paint the front emblem and install it (I found the vinyl sticker I had on there wasnt handing the elements very well). So happy with the results.

That SUCKS about having to wait for your tires. I am so happy with my powdercoating job. The new red centre caps also added a nice touch (since I have red accents).
View attachment 527891 View attachment 527892 View attachment 527893 View attachment 527894
Just curious why T Sportline advises against doing your own bumper swap?

Car looks great btw!

Just curious why T Sportline advises against doing your own bumper swap?

Car looks great btw!

I think its pretty finicky so if you havnt replaced body panels on a car before you may not fit properly. I have heard of many bad installs though this forum. I think any manufacturer that wants it to look great would most likely advise the same thing. It doesnt help that Teslas are already a bit of a mess with body panel gaps etc. I watched a bunch of videos, went through the instructions that came with the bumper, and there are a few tutorials on this forum as well.

Its definitely something that you get better at after doing it once.

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
I think its pretty finicky so if you havnt replaced body panels on a car before you may not fit properly. I have heard of many bad installs though this forum. I think any manufacturer that wants it to look great would most likely advise the same thing. It doesnt help that Teslas are already a bit of a mess with body panel gaps etc. I watched a bunch of videos, went through the instructions that came with the bumper, and there are a few tutorials on this forum as well.

Its definitely something that you get better at after doing it once.
Ah, gotcha. Thanks for explaining.

Reactions: JamstationP85D