Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When my Tesla directs me to a Supercharging station, does it know if it's broken?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Getting ready to take delivery of a Model X in a few weeks and had a question about supercharging. When planning a route, I know the car will include Supercharging stops. But is there live info as to whether or not the supercharging station works? What about if it's indoors and open (if not 24x7)? For example, if one of the stops has a broken supercharger, will it choose a different location? Thanks.

Getting ready to take delivery of a Model X in a few weeks and had a question about supercharging. When planning a route, I know the car will include Supercharging stops. But is there live info as to whether or not the supercharging station works? What about if it's indoors and open (if not 24x7)? For example, if one of the stops has a broken supercharger, will it choose a different location? Thanks.

The navigation does not automatically reroute with unavailability/broken status data.

You can manually read those unavailability and broken stalls on the navigation and manually make a decision yourself.

It also doesn't give you a suggestion on which stall to use, which may be important at the non-V3 sites. I wish Tesla would begin providing suggested stall information based on how soon other vehicles are expected to depart, or the recent performance of the charging equipment at the location.

Reactions: Sporty
Ok that's great. So it sounds like I can "trust" arriving to a Supercharger with low battery as the Supercharger information Tesla provides is correct.
Yes, the in car navigation isn't perfect but it is better than any other car manufacturer I have used. I'm only one person but never had a problem and the in car navigation has been accurate enough to keep me out of trouble as far as battery level is concerned.

Ok that's great. So it sounds like I can "trust" arriving to a Supercharger with low battery as the Supercharger information Tesla provides is correct.

Correct! Live info on your navigation so you can make a decision to skip to the next Station or stay with your already planned one.

I have been driving Tesla since 2012 and I've never been out of battery with many long trips, 200-400 mile trips (each way) for the past 10 years.

Reactions: Sporty and ensnare
I have seen a "WRENCH" in the SuperCharger bubble on my Nav screen several times informing me there was a problem. To get EXACT info I had wifey (my co-pilot) go to PlugShare and hope someone had recently added some comments. In my case, the comments were about an hour old and it actually identified the stalls that were "out of service" but others charging normally.

Reactions: ensnare
When planning a route, I know the car will include Supercharging stops. But is there live info as to whether or not the supercharging station works?
The navigation does not automatically reroute with unavailability/broken status data.
That's not always true. It seems that has been hit or miss over the years with some software patches and how quickly the live map updates see that it's down and whether it can intercept people's routes and reroute them in time. I've seen a few reports of that working. Here is an example:

"I had this happen this past Thanksgiving, traveling from Dallas to Atlanta, the Shreveport Supercharger went down as I was on my way. The navigation advised me to fully charge at Lindale, TX and skip Shreveport, re-routing me to Monroe LA and to slow down and watch the speed, because I have a 70D."

So the system does have that capability, but there are a lot of times when it fails to do so.