Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When Paying So Much For A Car What Do You Think Should Be Standard?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Many things should be standard, but car companies make them options. They option as many things as they can get away with. No 1 at doing that is Porsche in which basically everything is optional.

Model S is pretty well optioned, except for leather seats; those should be standard (or some sort of synthetic that's just as good for those who don't want leather. Oh a basic sunroof should be standard.

You get what you pay for. It's just something different with a Tesla -- the underlying technology. If you care more about butt-massaging seats and automatically inflating side bolsters packaged around 150-year old tech, you'll be better off buying an S class.

An electric drivetrain.

i can't believe some manufacturers offer cars at this price point that don't have a smooth, quiet, torquey, convenient, simple, cheap-to-operate electric drivetrain. Heck, even a $22k Mitsubishi i-MiEV has that. Every car in this price range should include it as standard equipment.

Reactions: ColBatGuano
Agree with above, especially ChadS, but to the point and for top end cars: lots of things I already have but also adjustable head rests, separate back and bottom seat warmers, birdseye parking camera view, and superb sound insulation.

Many things should be standard, but car companies make them options. They option as many things as they can get away with. No 1 at doing that is Porsche in which basically everything is optional.

Model S is pretty well optioned, except for leather seats; those should be standard (or some sort of synthetic that's just as good for those who don't want leather. Oh a basic sunroof should be standard.
German cars are notorious for optioning everything. The Japanese luxury cars include a ton of stuff as standard.

The problem with making more stuff standard is there'd then be no way to unclutter the car to get it back to the clean, lean, semi-
minimalist machine that some of us actually like. I'm not saying there isn't anything missing in the current set of standard equipment,
but it is very easy to go overboard.

Reactions: ColBatGuano
What should be standard is, paying attention to your installed base feedback on issues they feel needs fixing or improving. That, and better spare parts management for those accidents that you know are going to happen. Don't have my S yet, but the thought of it sitting in a shop for months waiting for parts is distressing.

Hoping the Tesla grin helps assuage the above. I'll know if a few (long, very long) weeks.

Adjustable shoulder straps, sunglass holder, lighted vanity mirrors, pockets in the doors (generally more storage), larger frunk without biodefense filter, coat hooks, grab handles, iOS Carplay / Andriod Auto, iOS/Android integration through USB.

These are notable things that just about any car has today, just not a Model S.

Reactions: BBB4000 and kavyboy