Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will Tesla answer all of our questions about the X - Official launch speculation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is what I have done and several friends have also done the same, or are planning to. So far Tesla seems to have been quite accommodating and hopefully they will continue to be so.
I have now heard from two people who are Sig holders and contacted Tesla and asked when all their questions would be answered and they were told that that wasn't clear at this point. One of them asked if it was going to be the 29th and he was told no.
I'm writing this without names because both told me in email and both didn't want to state this in public for their own reasons.

I have now heard from two people who are Sig holders and contacted Tesla and asked when all their questions would be answered and they were told that that wasn't clear at this point. One of them asked if it was going to be the 29th and he was told no.

Just for clarity, Tesla hasn't told me when the details I need will be available. I put my configuration on hold and requested I be allowed to leave it like that until details are revealed, be that the 29th or sooner or later than that date. I'm OK with waiting if they are.

Yes, there is no launch or reveal event because Tesla is not ready to launch the Model X.

Configured last week and spoke with my DES yesterday. He went to Fremont last week and saw a completed X. All he would say was, we're in for some big surprises. I asked him about the 29th, mostly interested in whether or not there is an "event", will we all learn the details we crave on that date. He said emphatically, yes.

haha, GeorgeB was great

Remember how he used to post on the forum before the Model S launch? We'd get all worked up into a tizzy about something and then he'd drop some actual information and things would calm down...

... except for that one time about invalidating the warranty if service wasn't done correctly. That set off a sh*t storm of epic proportions.

Sigh. I miss GeorgeB.

Remember how he used to post on the forum before the Model S launch? We'd get all worked up into a tizzy about something and then he'd drop some actual information and things would calm down...

... except for that one time about invalidating the warranty if service wasn't done correctly. That set off a sh*t storm of epic proportions.

Sigh. I miss GeorgeB.

Honestly, I feel like GeorgeB's public relations was a big part of keeping me excited for the company. Met him several times over the years and he's always just seemed genuinely happy and enthused. He was also a good public face for the company taking our concerns back to the mothership. Seemed very customer-oriented.

I'm writing this without names because both told me in email and both didn't want to state this in public for their own reasons.

Configured last week and spoke with my DES yesterday. He went to Fremont last week and saw a completed X. All he would say was, we're in for some big surprises. I asked him about the 29th, mostly interested in whether or not there is an "event", will we all learn the details we crave on that date. He said emphatically, yes.

Tesla communication at it's finest!

Just out of curiosity I went back to the earnings conference call from January and found the two comments about the middle seat and the reveal.

Tesla Motors' (TSLA) CEO Elon Musk on Q4 2014 Results - Earnings Call Transcript | Seeking Alpha

Patrick Archambault asked when we could expect to see the X revealed at a show of some sort and Elon responded that we are not going to show it until it gets delivered. Just prior to that he was describing the asthetics of the second row seats and how it is a sculptural beauty.

Boy the anticipation of the first delivery into the hands of a video blogger is intense.

Honestly, I feel like GeorgeB's public relations was a big part of keeping me excited for the company. Met him several times over the years and he's always just seemed genuinely happy and enthused. He was also a good public face for the company taking our concerns back to the mothership. Seemed very customer-oriented.
+1 on him being a great, enthusiastic face for the company.

... Therefore, I suspect that a lot of Signature holders have deferred their reservation until more information is available (Sept 29th?)....

An observation about this point - describing this as a "deferral" makes it more organized sounding than it is, at least in my case, and I suspect how it works in general. In my case, we've been invited to configure and have simply not yet configured and ordered. That carries with it the consequence that somebody with a higher signature reservation # who chooses to configure now will almost certainly receive a car with a lower numbered VIN than we will, and in that sense, we are deferring.

But it's not like we had our chance, and decided to defer to later and have been tossed back into the queue further back, and now we have to wait for our number to come up again.

I expect that there will come a point where we'll need to order or be dropped from the signature reservation queue as Tesla will be nearing the end of the Signature configurations and builds. And that we'll have to make a buy / defer / walk decision at that point. I'm expecting that point won't arrive until sometime later in October at the soonest (1000 cars in October sounds like a stretch to me), and that is totally guesswork.

I don't believe that Tesla is anywhere close to having 448 confirmed reservations at this point.

According to the model X tracker, 60% of those invited to design, have ordered. Let's say those who fill in the tracker are self-selected to be the most excited and assume only half of the invites turned to orders already. Adding 40% cancellations on signature orders and Tesla has 135 firm orders at this point and 135 'waiting Walters'.

According to the model X tracker, 60% of those invited to design, have ordered. Let's say those who fill in the tracker are self-selected to be the most excited and assume only half of the invites turned to orders already. Adding 40% cancellations on signature orders and Tesla has 135 firm orders at this point and 135 'waiting Walters'.
If we had 40% cancellations you would see Tesla communication in overdrive. Elon would be Tweeting, a proper event would used to demo and launch, they would invite journalists and go on TV with a demo car, send out a blog spot to address concers, etc. The fact that none of these are happening tells me cancellations must be low compared to orders. As much as they don't want a huge spike of X orders right now, they surely don't want a PR disaster either.

Wow, I don't want to get into the whole poll discussion again, but that 60% is meaningless. What is meaningful is that there were 448 people that at one time had a reservation. Obviously, some of those cancelled long ago, and some may have cancelled recently, furthermore, some of them have been "unresponsive" and have not confirmed. All we know is that there are (448 or less) people that have been contacted to configure.

The other interesting number is those that have actually confirmed: 27.

The worse possible scenario is that 448 people were asked to configure and only 27 actually configured, putting the actual percentage at 6%.

So the real-world value is likely between 6% and 60%. How useful is that?

---Updated---

BTW, going around and advertising that 60% of people that were asked to configure, have configured is just as irresponsible as me going around and saying that 94% of the people that were asked to configured have not configured.

Last edited:
Wow, I don't want to get into the whole poll discussion again, but that 60% is meaningless. What is meaningful is that there were 448 people that at one time had a reservation. Obviously, some of those cancelled long ago, and some may have cancelled recently, furthermore, some of them have been "unresponsive" and have not confirmed. All we know is that there are (448 or less) people that have been contacted to configure.

The other interesting number is those that have actually confirmed: 27.

The worse possible scenario is that 448 people were asked to configure and only 27 actually configured, putting the actual percentage at 6%.

So the real-world value is likely between 6% and 60%. How useful is that?
Not to be pedantic (ha! you know what an intro like that means, right?)... but all we know is that 22 people have claimed to have been invited to configure but haven't ordered. So out of 448 people who theoretically were asked (there could be cancellations in that list) we could have 95% that have already ordered. So assuming no one falsified data in the tracker, the range is 6%-95%.

Not to be pedantic (ha! you know what an intro like that means, right?)... but all we know is that 22 people have claimed to have been invited to configure but haven't ordered. So out of 448 people who theoretically were asked (there could be cancellations in that list) we could have 95% that have already ordered. So assuming no one falsified data in the tracker, the range is 6%-95%.

Hey, you stole my line. ;-) Thanks for clarifying the upper end. I didn't want to spend too much time on baseless statistics, so I only focused on the one extreme, not both. My bad for being lazy.

Last edited:

So the irony has gone full circle now? The idea they weren't unveiling the X due to the Osborne effect along with overstimulating the 35k reservation backlog is now a possible 6%-95% cancellation rate before we've seen the car. How quickly the tides have turned. :wink: