Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will Tesla answer all of our questions about the X - Official launch speculation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems to me there's been a recurring theme lately of people without cars or even reservations coming onto this forum to tell us how bad the Model X is or how terrible the company is.
And don't forget all of us (including you and me) who have cars and reservations and who voice what we consider reasonably criticism and then get yelled down by the people who don't want to accept any criticism.
It goes both ways.

If I recall correctly wasn't the founder's lunch of the Model S fairly low key? Didn't they have a separate event with more fanfare when delievering the first general production vehicles.

With that being said, I agree that the Sept. 29th deliveries are only occurring so Tesla can say they hit their deadline and there is no delay.

Pretty sure Steve Jurvetson took delivery that day with all the cameras rolling. He was Founders #1. Elon was #2. Does Elon still drive his original car? Anyone know?

For those interested in a little nostalgia here is the initial delivery event for the Model S. Very cool and lots of emotion all around including I'm sure many of us who watched the event on the web in great anticipation of an historical event!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMgzCnspapo

For those interested in a little nostalgia here is the initial delivery event for the Model S. Very cool and lots of emotion all around including I'm sure many of us who watched the event on the web in great anticipation of an historical event!!
And, here is the earlier delivery event video for the Founder's Model S.

First 2012 Tesla Model S Delivered To Earliest Depositor Steve Jurvetson (Video)

Take note on both videos, NO vehicle specifics were discussed and they appear to be first delivery gatherings for management and employee attendance.

Last edited:
Well, there are the people who bought a P85D in late fall 2014 with next gen seats and autopilot. They got their seats six months after they got the car. And they still have no full autopilot.

Here's my cynical take on the Model X "launch":
It seems to me that Founders cars are the early alphas.
In a few months we'll get the first beta cars (called "Signature").
At some point next year they will start shipping V1.0 of this car to the first few thousand P reservation holders.
Then mid next year there will be several significant HW changes, different battery technology with faster supercharging, new HW required to get /actual/ working AP... and V2.0 will be out. Of course without any actual announcement, without an organized cut-off / communication, and without a way to retrofit. Early customers who complain will be labeled as whiners and be told to shut up because they are driving the most amazing car in the world...

Sound familiar to anyone?

To me, it sounds like it's a similar pattern to... oh, just the very best car ever created in the entire world, the Model S.

Ahhh, I miss George. Especially when he was trying to keep Elon from sticking his foot in his mouth. ;-)

As for the discussion in this thread, I agree with those that say the X isn't ready for revealing fully. I postulated somewhere a couple weeks ago that all those mules with blacked out rear windows didn't even have back seats in them. Oh and why do you think we're seeing cgi's of the back seats? And why didn't the customer sevice folks at Tesla not know how they worked at first? They don't exist yet. Or they do but in such limited quantities that "Only about 20 folks at Tesla have seen the complete final version of the X." As that guy in the video said after taking a recent tour.

Last edited:
Here's my take on it...

Unlike the Model S, Tesla didn't produce any beta vehicles to put into stores for consideration, nor did Tesla offer a test drive opportunity before finalizing. My Model S reservation was made when I could sit inside the beta prototype vehicle inside the San Jose store - I ran back to my hotel and reserved that night and put myself on the waiting list for Sig. We don't get that for Model X. Many/most Sig MS buyers were able to drive one at the Get Amped events before finalizing as well.

All of the pent-up frustration with the Model X seems to be the result of a lack of information that would be provided by those mechanisms. Tesla's online information for Model S didn't talk about folding seats or frunk dimensions or anything detailed like that, it was just the basics.

It's the lack of hands-on that's making everyone concerned here, and they're being asked to confirm their order and commit before they can see/touch the vehicle. That's what's wrong here.

With that being said, I agree that the Sept. 29th deliveries are only occurring so Tesla can say they hit their deadline and there is no delay.

*cough* You mean "there is no further delay"... We forget so quickly they targeted 2013. Not sure why this Q3 deadline became so important when they've continually blown through all the previous ones...

*cough* You mean "there is no further delay"... We forget so quickly they targeted 2013. Not sure why this Q3 deadline became so important when they've continually blown through all the previous ones...

At some point some analyst behind the scenes says "no, we really mean it this time... no, *really*. I swear - I've prepared this note to issue."

If there is delays, as many on this thread believe, than Tesla really shouldn't have "
The delivery estimate for new
reservations is early 2016"
on there website. Even if they are fully ready to go, "early" 2016 seems a real stretch to get through all pre-orders.

If there is delays, as many on this thread believe, than Tesla really shouldn't have "
on there website. Even if they are fully ready to go, "early" 2016 seems a real stretch to get through all pre-orders.

Well, if there are a lot of cancellations due to 2nd-row-gate, then they might be able to get to them "early" 2016. I hope that's not the case though.

In Tesla time "early 2016" likely lasts until about August 2016. Actually, if I base it on the CHAdeMO adapter then "early 2016" ranges way into 2017...

Also, how long it takes depends in part on the cancellation ratio. Maybe they expect a third of us to walk?

In Tesla time "early 2016" likely lasts until about August 2016. Actually, if I base it on the CHAdeMO adapter then "early 2016" ranges way into 2017...

Also, how long it takes depends in part on the cancellation ratio. Maybe they expect a third of us to walk?

It would appear that Sig #448 was asked to configure. I don't believe that Tesla is anywhere close to having 448 confirmed reservations at this point. Therefore, I suspect that a lot of Signature holders have deferred their reservation until more information is available (Sept 29th?). If my theory is correct, then I would expect a lot of Sigs to confirm shortly after Sept 29th at which point Tesla will be flooded with orders. That would mean that they may not invite new Sigs to configure for quite some time (all of October?) until they get through all the orders.

I suspect that some will cancel as well, so any people on the Sig waiting list may be contacted in October. All speculation of course.

It would appear that Sig #448 was asked to configure. I don't believe that Tesla is anywhere close to having 448 confirmed reservations at this point. Therefore, I suspect that a lot of Signature holders have deferred their reservation until more information is available (Sept 29th?). If my theory is correct, then I would expect a lot of Sigs to confirm shortly after Sept 29th at which point Tesla will be flooded with orders. That would mean that they may not invite new Sigs to configure for quite some time (all of October?) until they get through all the orders.

I suspect that some will cancel as well, so any people on the Sig waiting list may be contacted in October. All speculation of course.

Has there been any official communication that more details will be released on the 29th, or are you basing that on the known facts of:

1. Elon saying details won't be released until cars are delivered.
2. Founders cars are being delivered on the 29th.

I am very hopeful that there will be more information, but I have seen anyone post anything official from Tesla that there will be more information as of the 29th. If it's been told to a sig res holder by Tesla directly, I may have missed it but that would be great news.

Has there been any official communication that more details will be released on the 29th, or are you basing that on the known facts of:

1. Elon saying details won't be released until cars are delivered.
2. Founders cars are being delivered on the 29th.

I am very hopeful that there will be more information, but I have seen anyone post anything official from Tesla that there will be more information as of the 29th. If it's been told to a sig res holder by Tesla directly, I may have missed it but that would be great news.

Yes, I'm basing my Sept. 29th date on the points you mentioned. I feel like we won't get too much more information prior to this date, and it will be sometime after this date where all the questions will be answered. I don't know how that information will be presented (e.g. statement by Tesla, information via the Design Studio, YouTube video by a Founder, Tweet by Elon, etc.).

However, I am surprised a bit that Tesla has been trickling out more information via the Design Studio recently.