Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where can I find the current Tesla Supercharging costs in Australia?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well that's stupid, what of someone who already has a Tesla and no UMC needs one now?!

I'm sure if they rang up they could get one via service department etc.
Give the 10 amp solution a go but if that's not enough and you want to go up then you could add a 32amp 5 pin single phase outlet and then the adapter linked above which is around $200. Just weigh up the cost of the install and cable and how much super charging that might get you. It is a very convenient solution if you car comes with the UMC to get that adaptor.

It is.

There is also a 5 pin adaptor for the UMC that leaves two of the phases unconnected. Some people prefer this because 5-pin 32A 3-phase sockets are more common in the wild than 3-pin 32A single phase sockets.
Yeah, but there wouldn't be the 2 extra live wires if mine is single phase to connect to it.

That said my understanding is that a 3 pin adaptor will not fit into a 5 pin plug, or will it?

Yeah, but there wouldn't be the 2 extra live wires if mine is single phase to connect to it.
Right - if you install the corresponding 5-pin socket at a single-phase home, only one of the phases can be wired up - you have to make sure it's the same one that the adaptor has wired up. Opinions vary on whether this kind of socket installation is legitimate.

That said my understanding is that a 3 pin adaptor will not fit into a 5 pin plug, or will it?
It will not.

Personally I used a 3-pin 32A socket at the holiday house.

The Australian NZ industrial plugs are referred to as IP56 or IP66 plugs, most like due to their Ingress Protection ratings. They have been around for longer than the introduction of EVs and we’re more designed to ensure safety when plugging in industrial machines and equipment.
As you have deduced and @cafz has confirmed the 3 pin and 5 pin versions are not interchangeable, but as well as this the both the 3 and 5 pin plugs come in different Amperages and even a 20A 5 pin plug will not insert into a 32A 5 pin socket as they are deliberately keyed with plastic tabs to prevent this.
This is a historic decision designed to stop a higher amp machine being plugged into a lower amp socket and causing a fire.
Early EV adopters have travelled the country and discovered that the IP56 5 Pin 32 Amp seems to be the most popular socket in welding shops and other locations where a high capacity power socket exists, that’s why the AEVA/TOCA network was established around this socket called an 56SO532 which takes an 56P532 plug (56 = IP, SO = socket, P = plug 5 pins 32 Amps)
It’s possible to wire a 5 pin plug or socket with 3 wires only for single phase, but there is debate as to its legality.
My Model S came with the V1 UMC which is 3 phase compatible and I carry adapters with both a 56P532 and 56P520 (20A) Plugs.
These are really important if you want to go a long way off track but I haven’t used them since my Alice Springs trip in 2018.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
They're also called AS/NZS 3123 plugs/sockets after the standard that defines them.

While you can't plug a 20A one into a 32A socket, you can plug a 32A plug into a 40A or 50A socket. There's groups of 3 sockets where you can plug lower-rated plugs into higher-rated sockets within the group (but not vice-versa, of course!) - 32A,40A,50A is one group.

There are places that sell adaptors - for example you can get a 32A extension lead with a 5-pin plug and 3-pin socket on it if you want. They're pricey, though!

Where can I find the current Tesla Supercharging costs in Australia?

My car isn't delivered yet, so I can't see the costs in-app or in the car yet.
Some of them are now variable depending on time of day, I’ve recently paid as low as 57c per kWh and as high as 69c. I often use non-Tesla chargers where you can pay as little as 40c per kWh, on Chargefox you can get a 20% discount if you’re a member of or have insurance with Racv, NRMA, etc.

The Chargefox app accepts any 7 digit number as a membership number, it doesn’t validate it. I’m sure that will change but right now I know people who just entered 9999999 as their motoring group membership number and they are getting the 20% discount.

Which Australian Supercharger has variable charging?
Unless I’m reading this wrong I just charged at Cremorne for $0.54 per kWh. Camberwell
is currently $0.50, moonee ponds $0.57

Attachments

• 4F5D8B67-9CC5-44A7-A974-942737F12825.jpeg
    4F5D8B67-9CC5-44A7-A974-942737F12825.jpeg
    427.2 KB · Views: 66
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    517.5 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    443.1 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
That's not variable or peak/off-peak or time of day pricing, that's just different pricing between sites.

Tesla has done this before in Australia, although normally the pricing difference has only been a few cents.

This time it's up to 10c/kWh between cheapest and most expensive. It's not clear if this is due to input costs or utilisation, but in general the cheaper sites are the heavily used city ones.

Reactions: cafz
That's not variable or peak/off-peak or time of day pricing, that's just different pricing between sites.

Tesla has done this before in Australia, although normally the pricing difference has only been a few cents.

This time it's up to 10c/kWh between cheapest and most expensive. It's not clear if this is due to input costs or utilisation, but in general the cheaper sites are the heavily used city ones.
I paid 57c at Cremorne a few days ago so they must be changing it often because it looks time based to me. I'm exclusively charging at supercharger at the moment because I don't have a working charger at home so I've noticed the fluctuations.

The in car time graph shows different rates if they apply at different times of the day

Eg. Random US site.
View attachment 921543

Well I'm just reporting what I am seeing and that is it has been changing so regularly that it doesn't seem fixed anymore, I don't know what price I'm going to get until I start heading to the charger. I haven't ever sighted Camberwell as low as 50c, I paid 67c at Geelong 3 weeks ago so that's almost 30% variance between one site and another. Cremorne was 69c back in Feb now tonight is 54.

Edit:
You’re right that it isn’t typical peak/off peak. I did just find this which if correct explains the price fluctuations.

“Furthermore, Tesla’s charging fees aren’t as affordable compared to other providers. It now reportedly uses variable pricing depending on the time-of-day and demand, which could vary between $0.50 to $0.69 per kWh.”

Are Tesla Superchargers worth it in Australia?

Tesla Australia support website now also has a section about if the fee changes while you are plugged in you get the fee at time of plug-in.

Last edited:
There was a price reduction around 1 March 2023

From Dec22-Feb23 believe it was $0.66/kWh
And from Sep22-Nov22 $0.68/0.69/kWh
And May22-Aug22 $0.57/kWh

Reactions: cafz