Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where is 2021.4? [2021.4.x Release]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You need to know via many miles you have. Three percent doesn’t tell you a lot.

So I'm confused. How would them saying "You have X miles based on a totally arbitrary estimate" mean any more than "Based on having 4% remaining, and your recent driving history, or your destination and anticipated speeds and slope, you have Y miles". I think you're disagreeing because you aren't understanding how meaningless the "Energy Display: Miles" indicator is.

It makes me wonder why they insist on A) having miles be available as an option at all for the battery display or B) making it the default. It's such a misleading, nearly meaningless figure. I can see an argument that if they just displayed estimated kWh they'd invite speculation and whining over degradation etc, but the mile display does that anyway... Just make the 30 mile average visible somewhere as your estimated range like gas cars have done for decades and call it a day. Then it's clear that "I have 70% left, and at my recent pace, that's probably enough for around 200 miles" without all the other baggage...
I actually find miles very preferable, since with my driving style I usually get close to the rated EPA efficiency (unless I am having some fun). I check my wh/mi every so often and de-rate if I need to though. I would really hate them to get rid of miles as an option, please don't give them any other ideas about how to ruin the UI!

Not true. My displayed range goes up and down despite the charge level % being set as the constant. Tesla service confirmed the display will vary based on driving habits.

I hate to break it to you.. but from Tesla's own web site first question in the FAQ (emphasis mine):
Displayed range is based on regulating agency certification (EPA) and is not adapted based on driving pattern. Your driving behaviors and environmental conditions can impact your car's efficiency, and therefore its range. To see estimated range based on personalized energy consumption, open the Energy app.
I feel like this should be on some quiz you need to pass to be allowed to post.

Just received 2021.4.3 and notice the Park icon has moved to the top section of the screen.
Right hand drive - Australia
65177E1E-E134-4E96-8FB3-B3587610692A.jpeg

So I'm confused. How would them saying "You have X miles based on a totally arbitrary estimate" mean any more than "Based on having 4% remaining, and your recent driving history, or your destination and anticipated speeds and slope, you have Y miles". I think you're disagreeing because you aren't understanding how meaningless the "Energy Display: Miles" indicator is.

I find it to be somewhat accurate. Have you ever run out of battery? How do you know it is inaccurate. Miles isn’t important when you have 300 left, but it is important when you have 30 left. I think you are complying that since the range displayed when your car is more than 50 percent charged is often wrong, the miles display is meaningless. It is there, you have plenty of range. But when you get closer to running out 30 miles is more meaningful than 3 percent.

I hate to break it to you.. but from Tesla's own web site first question in the FAQ (emphasis mine):

Also, a quiz on being a smart alec, but it is in your user I guess o_O

also, I feel like when you set a destination in the maps and use the power consumption graph under “trip” it does constantly re estimate the amount of range remaining based on your average wh/m during the trip. So maybe that’s what @glide was referring too....

Rated miles are directly proportional to the almond of energy in the battery. Knowing rated miles tells you how much energy you have. Note that it does NOT tell you how far you can drive. KWh would be a better unit and lead to less confusion, but rated miles tells you the exact same thing.

Percentage tells you how much energy you have relative to total battery capacity. How much energy is this? Who knows? To figure that out, you would have to know total battery capacity at that very moment. And you don’t have that info, so all you can do is guess. Percentage gives you no actionable information.

This isn’t my opinion. These are verifiable facts.

Rated miles are directly proportional to the almond of energy in the battery. Knowing rated miles tells you how much energy you have. Note that it does NOT tell you how far you can drive. KWh would be a better unit and lead to less confusion, but rated miles tells you the exact same thing.

Percentage tells you how much energy you have relative to total battery capacity. How much energy is this? Who knows? To figure that out, you would have to know total battery capacity at that very moment. And you don’t have that info, so all you can do is guess. Percentage gives you no actionable information.

This isn’t my opinion. These are verifiable facts.

The difference between percentage and doing the mental gymnastics to turn "EPA Rated 207 miles" into kWh and then back into a meaningful number is negligible. Battery degradation isn't some dynamic, random, ever-changing thing. It's an extremely slow and steady gradual decline, which is further distorted by the fact that the car's BMS drifts off more often than it's spot-on. And EITHER WAY, actual usable capacity would be reflected if the range indication was the dynamic one from the energy graph. None of these arguments for the Energy Display: Miles setting holds any water. And as proven in countless posts on these forums, it doesn't do Tesla any favors anyway because people still post constantly about why their car with 402 miles of range only shows 398.

Rated miles indirectly tells you how much energy the BMS thinks the car has, in a unit which is misleading, and which is no more useful to an actual driver than a percentage display plus the already existing range calculation from the Energy app. Period.

I find it to be somewhat accurate. Have you ever run out of battery? How do you know it is inaccurate. Miles isn’t important when you have 300 left, but it is important when you have 30 left. I think you are complying that since the range displayed when your car is more than 50 percent charged is often wrong, the miles display is meaningless. It is there, you have plenty of range. But when you get closer to running out 30 miles is more meaningful than 3 percent.

It's only meaningful because 0 is 0, so of course it gets more accurate as you get close to empty. That doesn't help when it says 60 and you're 55 miles from a supercharger and think you have plenty of range.

Again, I'm baffled that people are defending the deliberately uninformed display rather than the other, actually useful one the car already calculates based on your last 5, 15, or 30 miles of driving. Or even better, the one when you have a destination set and takes into account expected speeds and inclines and predicts how much you'll have left on arrival. I'm not saying a range display isn't useful. ICE cars have had projected range displays for decades, based on your recent consumption. So does Tesla. They just hide it in the Energy app and instead default the battery indicator to a deliberately inaccurate number.

The fact that there are so many posts here not understanding or disagreeing is further proof that the Miles display (especially as a default) is a poor design choice.

Put is to bed already. The miles indicator is dumb, hence the tiny font used. The energy graph is priceless.

I'm coming from an EV with a 'miles' indicator that changed as driving/heat/etc. usage changed - and it was fukkin useless doing nothing but creating range anxiety.

Back on topic - where is my .4? and more to the point, where is a usable layout....no games, no farts, no 'visualizations' or spinning cars...

Tesla will be left behind unless they integrate car play/android auto and need the kill off the premium connectivity BS.

Back on topic - where is my .4? and more to the point, where is a usable layout....no games, no farts, no 'visualizations' or spinning cars...

I said it before and got a disagree, but I'm certain you won't see another major release or UI changes until the new Model S hits the showrooms. It's clear that it has a new UI, and I'm sure all of their software resources (other than the autopilot team) is wrapping that up. So I would expect early March will be the new UI. If we're lucky, all the cars will get the new UI at the same time. If we're less lucky, they'll get the new S out first and we won't get the changes until later in March. My 2 cents :)

• Disagree
Reactions: qdeathstar
The difference between percentage and doing the mental gymnastics to turn "EPA Rated 207 miles" into kWh and then back into a meaningful number is negligible. Battery degradation isn't some dynamic, random, ever-changing thing. It's an extremely slow and steady gradual decline, which is further distorted by the fact that the car's BMS drifts off more often than it's spot-on. And EITHER WAY, actual usable capacity would be reflected if the range indication was the dynamic one from the energy graph. None of these arguments for the Energy Display: Miles setting holds any water. And as proven in countless posts on these forums, it doesn't do Tesla any favors anyway because people still post constantly about why their car with 402 miles of range only shows 398.

Rated miles indirectly tells you how much energy the BMS thinks the car has, in a unit which is misleading, and which is no more useful to an actual driver than a percentage display plus the already existing range calculation from the Energy app. Period.
I’m not trying to argue that there couldn’t be improvements to the data that is displayed. But rated miles (despite the misleading units) provides information that is more actionable than percentage.

but you said “period” which is a sign that one is finished considering data and logic and will stick steadfastly to their unwarranted assertions. So no sense continuing thus discussion with you.

• Disagree
Reactions: serendipitous
I'd bet more than 50% of the (garbage) threads and posts would disappear if we had quiz. There are so many rehashed posts and threads about the same issues over and over again, many by the same users.

• Disagree
Reactions: Tundrok and Mharda

Which is ridiculous considering few ever get the regulatory mileage at all and it is rather expected it adjusts to driving habits. This is all the more reason to be pissed at Tesla’s piss poor approach to things like this